Applications of 'Animal Farm' and '1984' in America

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tori_loe
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-loe.html

Applications of 'Animal Farm' and '1984' in America

Post by tori_loe »

A few weeks ago, I finished both 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, and it got me thinking. Doesn't some of these problems with the dystopian governments sound very similar to our own? For example, the quote "all animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others" from Animal Farm could be used to describe the aristocratic nature of the so called "democracy" of our union.
Wreade1872
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wreade1872 »

tori_loe wrote:A few weeks ago, I finished both 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell, and it got me thinking. Doesn't some of these problems with the dystopian governments sound very similar to our own? For example, the quote "all animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others" from Animal Farm could be used to describe the aristocratic nature of the so called "democracy" of our union.
In a word.. No.
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The same thought occurred to me, and yeah, it is true. I believe that problems of inequality and corrupt authority will always be around and that George Orwell both saw it at his time and foresaw its presence in modern time, which explains why the two books will always be applicable.

Return to “Classic Books”