Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Re: Sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird

Post by MsLisa »

I don't think To Kill A Mockingbird needs a sequel. I'd prefer if the author didn't. :eusa-think:
RGraf
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rgraf.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RGraf »

I'm undecided on it. I think after awhile I'll read the first one again and then check out book two. When there is hype about a book, I tend to let it die down first. I've heard so much about it that I'm afraid it will influence how I receive it.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

gali wrote: 04 Feb 2015, 08:24 I have read she wrote this book before writing "To Kill a Mockingbird", so hopefully it will be just as good.
"Go Set a Watchman" was written first but was not published at the time. Maybe it was seen as too controversial, or less complete. It is sometimes described as a "sequel" to "Mockingbird", because it takes place much later. Scout has moved to New York City to become a writer. She is home visiting at age 26 and seems taken aback that race relations have deteriorated, blamed locally on the NAACP.

The child-protagonist Scout and her exemplar of an honest lawyer dad, Atticus Finch give "Mockingbird" it's heart. Atticus stands for right, and is a hero to Scout and by extension to us all.

In Watchman, he is much more a man of his time and place. The Atticus who stood up to a lynch mob in "Mockingbird" is complicit in fighting to keep the NAACP "out of our business" in "Watchman. This has shocked many into calling him racist, a label that may be harsh, but is at least partly earned.

Harper Lee published only "Mockingbird" and probably would not have chosen to expose the failings of "Watchman" to the world. It's not a bad book, but not an outstanding one. It is very much a product of the time when it was written, while "Mockingbird" still speaks to us decades after it was first printed.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

TLGabelman wrote: 04 Feb 2015, 08:40 Yes @gali. I didnt mean to imply that I thought she wrote the 'sequel' with limited mental faculties....I am more wondering her sisters reasons for keeping it unpublished and who is looking now to gain from the works after her sisters passing. Make sense?
Whoever had the rights to it certainly had a lot to gain from publishing it. A second book from a Pulitzer-winning author that was lost for decades is bound to sell well, no matter the quality. So there's a financial reason for publishing. I'm sure there is also an artistic reason: it would be a shame to keep an unknown work from such a well-known author from public view. And finally, it may just have been time to publish it. The book was controversial at the time. It espouses very negative views of the NAACP, which was seen as agitating in the South, getting previously docile blacks riled up. It can be published now with a historical viewpoint, whereas it might have met a more hysterical response at the time.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites. I have heard that the sequel is not as good. But sequels are rarely as good as the original.
N Lare
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by N Lare »

I may be a little late in this, but I also have not read the sequel, and have not heard the most positive feedback. Something to do with Atticus I believe? I am eager to find out. :?
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read the original yet, but am interested in reading both.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

This is the first time I’ve heard of a sequel to To kill a mockingbird and I’m interested in seeing how it plays out. I just hope it’s not as dry, as I found the first part of the original book. I struggled to get through the beginning, but absolutely adored the second part of the book, so I’d love to see how it goes.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Hmm, this sounds interesting. I had no idea there were plans in place for a continuation! Its been long since I read this book, I honestly don't remember exactly how it ends. I do enjoy when authors expand their worlds though. I'm sure it'll at least be worth a read.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Erin Eggenberger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Erin Eggenberger »

I’m extremely excited for a second book! To Kill a Mocking Bird is one of my all time favorites. I was actually forced to read it for an AP Lit class in high school, but I found that it was rich with character and charm. I also admire the lessons that are taught about love and trust. I can’t wait to see what they do for a sequel. After the first books ending, I can’t picture what the second book will be like.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, but refuse to read the sequel as it was published despite what the author wanted.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

That’s super exciting actually, I just really hope it doesn’t fall short.
Princewill Uchenna
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I'm really looking forward to this sequel, "Go Set a Watchman" - to see Scout as an adult and eavesdrop on the conversations between her and her father will be fascinating
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I've read conflicting opinions about this. I didn't think To Kill a Mockingbird was all that great. I guess the fun factor was eliminated for me when I had to read a book for school. I'd like to read it again, and I most likely will.

Return to “Classic Books”