Little House Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Little House Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Definitely the books. Personally I loathe TV series from books. It loses all validity. I've seen Pioneer Girl on Amazon, but haven't read it. A bit pricey. There is also her account of their journey east - regret haven't read that either! Snow? What's that?
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Karen0823 »

I read the Little House books in elementary school. I wasn't much of a reader at that time in my life but I remember falling in love with this series. I wanted to be Laura.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
fraun
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by fraun »

The Little house books kindled my love for litrature, i had read the entire set three times by the time i was ten and twice more before i turned eighteen. I enjoy the manner in which Mrs Wilder wrote and feel i can relate to her in many ways.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

I read the series multiple times. I loved each one of the books. It is too difficult to pick just one as my favorite. I have since read other books about Laura and her family.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

This was my mom's favorite series as a kid (in the 60s) and become one of mine twenty years later. My daughter is 4 years old now and I look forward to reading them to her when she is a little older. She is fascinated by history like me, so I'm hoping she enjoys them as much as I did. "On the Banks of Plum Creek" was definitely my favorite. I think it appeals to younger readers because they can relate to Laura as a child.
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

i love the most farmer boy
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

GKCfan wrote:I suggest that you look around for some of the books and articles about what Wilder left out of her books. It's very interesting and adds to the story, making the story more complex.
There has recently (fairly recently, anyway) been someone who has published her journals and some of the stories are quite terrifying. People self-immolating, abuse, murder, etc. Other than the overt racism that was taken as a matter of course when these were written, they are quite sanitized and child-friendly. I absolutely loved them as a kid, even if I am shocked by some of the things that I never noticed when reading them as a child. But, my favorite is The Farmer Boy. It reminds me of my grandparents and the way they would celebrate holidays.
Basya
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basya.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Basya »

Since I grew up in the Great Plains, this series resonated with my third-grade self. Decades later, I was happy to find it on the shelves of my elementary school library.
ayorinde ayodotun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ayorinde ayodotun »

good review
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love this series. I read them all as a child. I have always been interested in early America and learning how they survived. The simplicity and creativeness of it appeals to me. Maybe that's why I'm learning to make things myself now.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

After reading them as a kid, I decided it was time to dust them off and went for Little House in the Big Woods. I loved it and hated it at once for all the detailed descriptions of the family activities.
Berry :wine:
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip&rsquo;s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Kat Berg wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 19:50
GKCfan wrote:I suggest that you look around for some of the books and articles about what Wilder left out of her books. It's very interesting and adds to the story, making the story more complex.
There has recently (fairly recently, anyway) been someone who has published her journals and some of the stories are quite terrifying. People self-immolating, abuse, murder, etc. Other than the overt racism that was taken as a matter of course when these were written, they are quite sanitized and child-friendly. I absolutely loved them as a kid, even if I am shocked by some of the things that I never noticed when reading them as a child. But, my favorite is The Farmer Boy. It reminds me of my grandparents and the way they would celebrate holidays.
I keep meaning to read some of her journals since I knew she had to adapt some of what she wrote in the books for publication, but I didn't know about some of the darker details. Have any of these supplemental materials been published within new editions of the books?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
TamHarper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TamHarper »

I have read, The Little House on the prairie. The are very interested, it's like going back, in time. I can imagine, myself being in the stories..
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I have always loved this series! The first one was probably my favorite because it is what started my love for them. I would always pretend to be Laura. We have the box set of all of them somewhere, I need to find them and reread them.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I have only read Little House on the Prairie and I can't really remember the characters as it was so long ago, maybe I will give it another try.

Return to “Classic Books”