Little House Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debbielouise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbielouise.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Re: Little House Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Post by debbielouise »

I sadly didn't get to read the books as a child, but enjoyed watching the TV series, so when I saw them at our local library I encouraged my 10 year old to try them and she loves them. She wishes she could have lived then, when life seemed less complicated. I have to remind her that she would hate doing all those chores!
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I have read all of the picture books, plus one chapter book.
My favorite character growing up was Mary because I am the oldest sister in my family and Mary is my middle name.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I've read the entire series. I've visited some of the Little House sites. Laura Ingalls Wilder has a straightforward writing style that matches the simple life her family lead. Laura is my favorite, as to be expected, a spunky, brave and resourceful pioneer woman.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

This was my favorite series, before the Harry Potter world was created.
As far as classics go, to me this series will always stand the test of time as being great.
Amazing characters, amazing stories, and amazing writing.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

Oh, these books hold a special place in my heart. I read them all as a child and hope to revisit them as an adult. I think my preferences will change. As a child, I wanted to live just like Laura's family. I used to draw little houses on the prairie, with clothes lines, sloping hills, farmland, everything.

My favorite character is Mary. I identified with her quietness and solitude, and as a perfectionist, wanted to be like her. I'm so happy to see so many others enthusiastic about this series!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Robbie292009
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Robbie292009 »

I read all of Little House books when I was in 6th grade. Very good children books. My favorite book had to be on the banks of plum creek. Laura was my favorite
Lexi_22
Currently Reading: Shadow in the Deep
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Lexi_22 »

My love for this series began when I was 11 when my mom read several of the books out loud to me and my siblings. I enjoyed them so much that I read the rest of the books on my own. Over the years I've read the series several times over. My favorite character is probably Pa, just because he is such a loving and devoted father to his children. Throughout the books you see different aspects of who he is, kind, gentle and wise, but also firm, bold and he can switch into survival mode for the good of his family when he needs to. These books are such a classic read.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Timeless, endearing story of pioneer life. The days we look back to as being
"what made this country great" - and what we base our concept on of what America is all about.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I didn't know that it was a series of books until recently. I have at least three of the books and they are quite interesting. I just have not finished reading the lot.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

This was my favorite series growing up and many young girls still love it today. My favorite character was, of course, Laura, because she wasn't the perfect one, not the baby..... I also liked Nellie. You just never knew what she was going to do next.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

I forgot to mention that I live in Missouri, and "stumbled" upon her adult house in southern Missouri while driving to Arkansas. Best surprise ever. Much better than the empty field in Minnesota, where her childhood house was. Her daughter is the one who urged her to publish her books..
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

I've read all of them over and over! They're excellent books, all of them! It's nearly impossible to pick a favorite! I would say Little House In the Big Woods or Little House on the Prairie or The Long Winter. You know what makes these extra special? Finding them in the old yellow paperbacks we had when I was a kid. I don't know what happened to our set, but I've been re-collecting those yellow paperbacks as I find them. That's the best way to read and experience them, in my opinion.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

And the television series to go along with it helped also!
bbrannan03

Post by bbrannan03 »

I have read these books so many times and I never get tired of them. I’ve read all the little house to, the Martha series, Charlotte, Caroline, and Rose. I love the Caroline years, especially when she goes to Milwaukee, but my favorite is These Happy Golden Years. I also like Farmer boy because you get to see how different Laura and Almanzo’s childhoods were.

My favorite character is Laura, as her character progressed and grew up we started to become very similar. Although my favorite character is Laura, I’ve always wanted to be like Mary. She had beautiful blonde hair and blue eyes that are very different from my brown hair and eyes. We got to visit Laura, Almanzo, and Rose’s home in Mansfield, MO and would definitely recommend taking a trip out there if your in the area.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I was obsessed with the Litte House on the Prairie series when I was younger. I would read them over and over. I loved Ma and Pa and the whole family really. I can't pick just one favorite. I even got into the rest of the series about Laura Ingalls' mother/grandmother/great grandmother etc. Not as good as the original series but still worth checking out.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Return to “Classic Books”