Let's talk: Fahrenheit 451

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Waltond9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Let's talk: Fahrenheit 451

Post by Waltond9 »

This book show us, what is start Lifetime and exist of life.we know two word belief and belive another one known. This three word inner meaning is different. When you read this book silently transmitting emotions in your inner mind then know what is life.
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by ellie_rue »

Wind Wise wrote: 14 Oct 2014, 08:54 I first had to read this in school, (maybe 7th, 8th grade) and I hated it because it was about burning books and I didn't like that. I vowed to never read it again. Well, I tried reading it again a few years ago and couldn't get past the first few pages. Deep-seated dislike for the book was still there. Now that I'm older I understand that that's not all the book is about, but I still don't like it.

If I had to save one book, it would be the original novel of Phantom of the Opera. I couldn't give up my favorite book, ever!
Did you ever end up reading the book? I think if you hate the idea of burning books then you and the protagonist might have something in common. :D
AlliOSU
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlliOSU »

I think Ray Bradbury thought he was enlightened, and that made him slightly arrogant. He wrote this story using pieces of history and pieces of modern times to tell his vision; because of that, it is a well thought out book filled with characters with whom the audience can relate. Him being arrogant, added a twist to his writting style and, supported that flare that all dystopian novels need.

I'm not sure I can give just one book to be saved. However, I can say that my favorite book is The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. There is something about the way he writes that just draws me in and then I'm living the story more so than in any other book I've read.
redhornet0922
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redhornet0922.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B07CHWG1Y2

Post by redhornet0922 »

I think a lot of the respondents miss the main point of the book. Granted, I am a teacher and have taught and read this book at least 15 times now. But Beatty states in the midpoint of the book that people quit reading because of the way that they were approaching life. People became too busy and distracted to read (think America prior to Coronavirus). And those who read became argumentative and violent with each other, so the idea was to take controversial ideas away. So everything began to be simplified, in order for the government to keep control. Montag really awoke when Clarisse suggested that he stop and begin to seriously look at things, instead of just going through the motions. The concept of "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" has really become the go-to idea in the Western world today.

The ending is Bradbury's vision that, regardless of how screwed up society becomes, there will always be the people who try to rebuild it, and bring back the best part of humanity. That's why Montag and Faber become allies, they are going off with the rest of the intellectuals to rebuild society. The ending is built upon hope for the future and humanity, and is a real counterpoint to the 1950's fear that the world would end in Nuclear war.

I'm also so interested in how many things we have now (like the TV wall or seashells) that Bradbury envisioned that have become commonplace in our lives. Drone cameras, ATM's, self-driving cars, and others are all things that he envisioned. Plus the whole concept of keeping our country at war to distract the common masses (Terrorism and Afghanistan, anyone?)

If I couldn't save Farenheit, the one other book I would save is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, as it is a really important look at both Victorian England society as well as how evil or good man can be to man. And think about that book being written during the crisis of Jack the Ripper!
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I didn't really get into Ray Bradbury's work when I was introduced to him in middle school, but know I find myself really grateful. I just download the 451 not to long ago and I look forward to reading it.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I have read a couple of hundred books and if i have to select only top 10 reads, this one is definitely coming under the list.
Peyton4
Currently Reading: The Four Hour Workweek
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peyton4.html
Latest Review: Striking It Rich by R.H. Webster

Post by Peyton4 »

Honestly, I did not enjoy reading Farenheight 451, but it does have a great message that has stuck with me through the years. It's interesting for me that every time a see/read a book I think SHOULD be burned just reminds me of Farenheight 451 and how terrible it would be if we started burning books we disagreed with. Amazing how a book I don't like still has a huge impact on my perspective.

If I could save one book (without being cliche and saying the book of Matthew or Psalms etcc...) I'd probably choose "The Book Theif". It's the only book that made me cry that I willingly re-read.
May your days be full of magic and dragons.
grgmrn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grgmrn.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by grgmrn »

This was one the first books I ever read. I still can't believe that it took Bradbury only several days to write it.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Adurna101 wrote: 05 Aug 2014, 05:54 if you could hide and protect one book (in a similar situation as Fahrenheit 451 is set), what book would it be?
A Dictionary.
I do not want to forget all the words I learned in my reading journey.
I remember the time when I was torn between choosing a novel I badly wanted to read and a reference book on the different ingredients in medicines. In the end, I picked the reference book.
As much as I love novels, I can't resist keeping the foundation of my reading comprehension.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Classic Books”