Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Re: Jane Eyre

Post by Jmar_la »

I love this book! Jane Eyre, my favorite classic! I love the writing and the story. It was really a beautiful story! I remember how difficult the language, the detail of the scenes and dialogue, but once I got into the rhythm of the language, I really missed it when I came to the end and had to choose something else. It took awhile before I could find another book that would give me that same challenge.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Laura Stamps wrote: 02 May 2007, 15:19 Jane Eyre is a masterpiece, and I have read all of Charlotte Bronte's novels and loved them all, except Shirley.

But I know why. At that time I was totally in love with Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I was at that emotional, hysterical age we all go through, and that novel really spoke to me. But when I grew up I read WH years later and found it too highstrung. Then I read Jane Eyre again and fell in love with it, because Jane is a very low-key kind of person, and I am too as an adult, so we clicked perfectly.

After that Charlotte Bronte was my favorite for a long time, until I discovered the two novels by Anne Bronte, and then I could finally understand why Charlotte said Anne was the more talented of the three sisters. Her two novels Agnes Gray and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall are awesome, and my very favorites now.
I loved the part when you explained the reason for liking Wuthering Heights.

I only recently got around to The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I loved it. Anne Bronte certainly was a gifted writer and her poems are exceptional. "A Word to the Elect" is one of my favorites.
maryculverflint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by maryculverflint »

Jane Eyre is one of my top ten all time favorite books, the few movies made from it have been pretty well done too. I much prefer it over Wuthering Heights.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I first read this at university and I was dreading it. I expected to hate every part of it but it is one of my all time favourites! I even have a limited edition copy with gold leaf page edges.

Bertha Rochester is one of my absolute favourite characters. As someone with a mental illness I can relate to the mad woman in the attic and the way in which she was cast aside.

I've always found the novel to slow down a little as Jane heads to the Vicarage however I cannot rate this book enough.

If you have been tempted to read it in the past please do.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I love Jane Eyre and I constantly read it to remind myself of good memories. I really loved the characters in this book and they are my all time favorites.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Yesterday I finished reading Wuthering Heights, don't like it. A story of cruelty, abuse, and crushed lives, not my kind of book.

Then this morning, I listened to Celine Dion singing It's All Coming Back to Me Now and looked up the meaning -- I couldn't decide if it was about a lover who died or one who left. Wikipedia says "According to Steinman, the song was inspired by Wuthering Heights, and was an attempt to write "the most passionate, romantic song" he could ever create."

The song's writer (Jim Steinman) views Wuthering Heights as a story of obsessive love more than revenge I guess. I see his point, still don't like the book, DO like the song. I'm still unsure if the man or the relationship died but I was amused to find that connection.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I'm not a fan of Jane Eyre. The language is stilted and hard to understand. I didn't like her love affair with her employer. It was supposed to be romantic, but it made me cringe.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

bplayfuli wrote: 08 Feb 2007, 23:37 I first read it when I was 12 and have loved it ever since! The copy my mother had (Ihave it now) was my grandmothers from 1945 & it has some beautiful illustrations. I think that is what first attracted me.

Have you read Villette? I read that one for a Victorian Lit course & really like it as well.
What a special experience! Jane Eyre was my all-time favorite novel... until I read Villette. I find it incredibly entrancing, though dark, and filled with many of the elements that make Jane Eyre so wonderful.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Post by coffeeteal »

Ah, I miss this book now after reading all the comments. I'm going to read it again soon which is like 12 years since I last read it.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I had the abridged child-friendly version of Jane Eyre as a kid and i read so many times I've lost count. I remember being scared to read the original just in case I didn't like it as much. I have to say though, it did not disappoint. It is my favourite classic.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

I read Jane Eyre in High School and I loved it. I'm planning to re-read it soon together with other classics. Hopefully, I will appreciate it more as an adult.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

hotgeek wrote: 19 Mar 2007, 05:48 I'll have to read this book again maybe in a couple of months. It's a must-read for those who love "classics" like me.
I tottaly agree Jane Eyre, and wuthering heights, though difficult to pin point the exact reason of attraction for the reader, are undeniably captivating, I Enjoyed both of these wonderous works.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

PsychoticxFreak wrote: 02 May 2007, 15:36 I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm a sophomore in high school, and I read Jane Eyre earlier this year and loved it. It really was fabulous. I started reading it because I had enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and wanted to read another 17th-century romance. Jane Eyre was the natural choice. It was really good--I couldn't put it down.

I also read Jane Eyre as a teen looking for somthing Similar to pride and prejudice though of course the two books were VERY diffrent i still found both very interesting, though Jane Eyre pulls at the heart strings more seriously.
kiaraciraku
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kiaraciraku »

A story that has aged as gracefully as wine. Its messages are fresh , unique. Everyone can find themselves in this book .
Reading this book can be named as happy journey through the past which teaches values for the future .
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

Ever since I read Jane Eyre, I have been afraid of rain. Even though the book is gothic, I love its optimistic ending and Jane is one of my favorite heroines.

Return to “Classic Books”