Jane Eyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sebasrodalba
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: Jane Eyre

Post by Sebasrodalba »

I'll have to read this book again maybe in a couple of months. It's a must-read for those who love "classics" like me.
Daniel_atumah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daniel_atumah »

which book are you currently reading
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Jane Eyre is a natural classic a beautiful read and definitely one of those books you can read more than once.
Haleyw5
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Haleyw5 »

I love all the Bronte sister's books. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite.
dawuddustin

Post by dawuddustin »

I read this book when I was younger and I freaked out when Mr. Rochester's wife's scene came up ;)
but the book was a very good one and it focuses on many aspects of Jane's life and I loved it
thebookextravaganza
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 474

Post by thebookextravaganza »

Am I the only one who didn't enjoy this book? I am not too fond of it, especially the ending. I loved the untamed spirit Jane had especially at the beginning but it fizzled out towards the end. I prefer her sister Emily's writing much more, am I alone in this or?
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

One of my all-time favourite books, a masterpiece. If I were forced to raise one slight quibble it would be that perhaps Helen Burns is a touch too saintly, but having said that, I know she was based on Charlotte's adored elder sister so it's touching and understandable. I also want to know (and have written my own pathetic efforts examining it) what happens to some of the characters like Adele and the Rivers sisters. Of course, Jean Rhys wrote a prequel that, unusually, is excellent, in 'Wide Sargasso Sea'.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I loved this book, more so for the fresh way, Jane's character is treated. In almost all other classics, there was a set way in which the female characters behaved, but the way Jane just ventures out into the world and tackles her own issues made reading this a wonderful experience.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This was the first classic I read through. I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a handful of classics including Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Furthering Heights, and Little Women. I have seen some of the movies and had to get my hands on some Jane Austen haha. I really enjoyed Jane Eyre, it was comforting to know that things have a way of coming together.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

It's a difficult book to get through but I definitely appreciate it so much more now than when I was younger. I think when you read it for the first time, it's dull and confusing for a long time. Once you understand the character and plot, it's so much better to re-read!!
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

I read Jane Eyre for the first time when I was 9 (it was the book I picked as a reward at the library's summer reading program; I knew at that point I liked "old books" so when I saw the date is was originally published I picked it) and although it scandalized me at that age over the years it has become my favorite book. I re-read it about every 6 months, not really planned I just start craving it.
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

I loved the book. it is one of my favorites.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I read it in high school and didn't like it. I always had an opinion that story was too cheesy for me. Maybe I should give it another chance. I find it that this keeps happening since I joined this forum. Trying to pick up again the books I remember to dislike.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

The comments on this thread are very interesting because almost everyone seems to have had a love/hate relationship with this book. Personally, I read it about 6 years ago as part of one of my University class's requirements and I liked the book throughout the whole time but absolutely hated Jane as a character at the beginning. By the end, I completely loved her and she has since been one of my favorite characters. This is one of the few books where I thoroughly loathed a character and later adored and admired her. Love this book!
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I had to read Jane Eyre for my senior year AP Lit class and it brings back fond memories. At first, my class was reluctant, which was odd since we were a bunch of voracious readers. After a couple chapters though we would excitedly talk about it with each other even after class. All in all, I have good feelings about this book.

Return to “Classic Books”