Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janedove
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Little Women

Post by Janedove »

I read little woman of recent and I must say that it is very interesting. With Jo, my favourite character
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I love the book and its sequels, and as others have said, the Mother is an interesting character, too, but I sometimes think the (undeniably arresting) character of Jo rather eclipses the others. Though they are presented with tolerance, Meg is vain, Amy is silly, and poor little Beth basically there (though her relationship with Jo is moving) to fulfil the 19th century stereotype of the heroic sickly child - in the manner of Tiny Tim, Little Nell, etc. But in terms of a woman's role in the world, it's well ahead of its time.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Kondoo

Post by Kondoo »

This is one of my favorite books ever
Nikki2404

Post by Nikki2404 »

I love that show
Isamedin

Post by Isamedin »

She was really amazing. Had a strong character. This book is worth reading. For my opinion not very much words are needed because the best things does not need to much words.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

If you love Little Women, which you should, then you should definitely look for Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by Rumer Godden and Little Plum by Rumer Godden. They are delightful books about kind girls learning new things about life and interacting with others.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I enjoyed reading a book that was all about women. Especially since they were basically kids and teenagers growing up in a difficult situation; it was very inspiring and not like the thing I was used to read.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I read it many years ago to be of much help. And I saw the old movie too. I would like to read this book again.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Jennie7493

Post by Jennie7493 »

:D i enjoyed reading Little Women when i was younger it is a classic any girl would like since it deals with several sisters growning up.
them1n1ch1ef15
Currently Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-them1n1ch1ef15.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by them1n1ch1ef15 »

Found Little Women a bit of a bore if I'm honest despite the fact that I have really enjoyed the TV adaptations. I think I would have liked it has I read it when I was a teenager but reading it as an adult I just felt that it was rather pedestrian and a bit childish.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I read the book when I was young. I still remember crying while reading chapter 33 Heartache when Jo refuses Laurie's proposal. I was really rooting for them.
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

I love this book and I love Jo. What they went through and the connection with the reader is immeasurably strong.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I love how the book shows us old customs, it is really important to remember the way life used to be for some people so that we can have a better understanding of our own time. I also love the fact that the book is all about family love, especially the bond among sisters.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I read it as a child and then tried Little Men. At the time I was still Ugh!! Boys!! and I didn’t finish lol.

I loved the movie with Winona Ryder and Clair Danes and lots of other amazing actors. It was a very 90s movie in terms of the popular actors of that time. I’m glad those two actors specifically are back on tv.

I really loved the character of Jo.
Mrsawelch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mrsawelch »

This book is one of my most memorable books from my childhood. It was the first one I read from front to back. I have to agree with others that it was preachy but it also had some really good parts to compensate for the preachiness in the book.

Return to “Classic Books”