Little Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: Little Women

Post by Earle Remington »

I love the entire series.

It's so interesting to read a perspective (or, really, variety of perspectives) on womanhood from over 100 years ago. Through the 4 March sisters, Louisa May Alcott portrays a variety of identities and perspectives, and validates all of them. The message here is so important: there is no 1 right way to be a woman.
glossy cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glossy-cherry.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by glossy cherry »

I loved this book. I read it when I was 14 years old and found it very inspiring for young girls. I am thinking about revisiting it to know how I interpret it now as an adult. Will it be as thoughtful as before? I think some parts of it are too medieval to be relatable today.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

This is a great book for women in any time period. Jo is a great role model for women who want to create a life for themselves and not be defined by the societal norms of what a women should be. The recent film of this book had an ending that satisfied me. I would recommend watching the movie after you have read the book.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I read the book when I was younger and even watched the book. It is among the books I would not mind reading again.
Jaineet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jaineet »

I too read this book almost 30 years ago ,but it struck a chord then and it made me hunt the sequels and go through all of them... Recently had the chance to see the movie too and though it did not do justice to the book, it was a refreshing watch after all the super heroes movies available these days. Jo 's character is the best and sure I too wanted to be like Jo when I grew up . Yes ! Always thought Jo and Laurie were meant to be together..strange that it didn't work out that way
coupleshipper101
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by coupleshipper101 »

Truly an interesting book. Definitely a coming of age book. It is a really good book. One can clearly see the change in attitudes of the girls. From the tomboy attitude of Jo to the girl nature of Amy. One can definitely see the difference in their attitudes. One can see how young women go through things. I definitely recommend this book. It is amazing.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Does the recent movie adaptation live up to the book? I haven't watched the movie yet but I have read the book and from the trailers alone, I especially felt that Saoirse Ronan, Timothee Chalamet, and Florence Pugh are the perfect actors and actresses to play the characters. I feel that they really did bring the book alive.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

glossy cherry wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 07:26 I loved this book. I read it when I was 14 years old and found it very inspiring for young girls. I am thinking about revisiting it to know how I interpret it now as an adult. Will it be as thoughtful as before? I think some parts of it are too medieval to be relatable today.
I would hardly classify Little Women as medieval. The characters are still compelling even if certain scenarios do not match up with your personal life.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

Does the recent movie adaptation live up to the book? I haven't watched the movie yet but I have read the book and from the trailers alone, I especially felt that Saoirse Ronan, Timothee Chalamet, and Florence Pugh are the perfect actors and actresses to play the characters. I feel that they really did bring the book alive.
I loved the most recent movie! It is so relevant to what is happening in our society today, but it doesn't belabor this at the expense of the novel. I think Alcott would approve. The whole cast is perfect! Chalamet does an excellent job as Laurie. In all the other movie versions I've seen Laurie is too good. The writing and Chalamet's performance show a depressed and immature side of Laurie when Amy runs into him again in France. Then he has a chance to grow and mature. It is well worth watching!
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Definitely one of my favorites! Such an inspring novel about family strength and women empowerment.
BookLoverAnna

Post by BookLoverAnna »

I personally adore this book. It really shows love, sisterhood and most importantly the importance of family and that you can rely on them in difficult moments.
iris p

Post by iris p »

this is a story that one can never out grow. it's full of fun, hope, and life lessons.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

That sounds incredible! I am sure everyone in your group will fall in love with Jo. Little Women is special because of its very unique dimensions explored through each of the sisters and that's a discussion that is always a long and fruitful one.
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by docfatima »

I read this book some 15 years back...but still remember it... that's why I feel it is a classic. The love between sisters, care for the family and naughtiness of the young Jo is the part that I love about this book
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:
Sonerann

Post by Sonerann »

This book took me a long time to read. I fell in love with the ‘94 movie with W.Ryder and had the book on my list of reads for a long time. I started it several time throughout the years and finally made myself finish it this year. I love the bond the sisters have, the love that circulates between all characters and Jo’s inspirational will of life. Knowing that this book was inspired by Louisa May Alcott life, just made the book better, despite the prose in which it was written. I think it has valuable lessons for any woman, Christian or not. The concept to do good and love all despite how others are is a lesson that we all need, especially this day in time.

Return to “Classic Books”