Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Re: Romeo and Juliet

Post by VSuraj »

I remember watching this movie about Shakespeare and his life, and this play was performed in the film, with people absolutely hooked and some were crying in the audience.
The story was good, yes some may disagree with the teenage love story angle but the times were different then.
And of course we can’t dispute the beautiful language! Definitely a classic and one that persons will remember for many years.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Jessie_marie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jessie_marie »

The book/play is not bad at all its just a very different style from the books we read today. The end result being spoiled at the start does not make the book bad. It's about the contents and the fact that their a perfectly matched lovers making the worst choices possible.
Beanna32

Post by Beanna32 »

This theater book by William Shakespeare isnt my first time i read this book, but all can I say is that is incredible how Shakespeare introduce a tragic and romantic story in a drama theater, is amazing how can the Prince of Verona told they an advertence and It was pay by the two Young lovers. Personally i think that this type of book search the people to imagine the story but in the way that you are part of the protagonists.
Secarnell
Currently Reading:

Post by Secarnell »

I love this love story of Romeo and Juliet how love is far better then anything and true love is worth dyeing for
Samiria

Post by Samiria »

Romeo and Juliet was honestly ok. I wasn't that into it. Most of the characters annoyed me and Juliet bothered me the most.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I have a lot of respect for Shakespeare but Romeo and Juliet is not one I found myself really impressed with story wise.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

When I initially read this as part of an assignment for school, I didn't understand the way it was written. Then, I realized how classic the story is. This story has inspired others to create great work like the Titanic. The Titanic was pitched as Romeo and Juliet on a sinking ship and the director received the immediate approval to make the film.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I've always wanted to read Romeo and Juliet but people keep telling me not to bother because it's to tricky to understand. Is it really that difficult or should I give it a shot?
ahna_pagal02

Post by ahna_pagal02 »

One of my favorite author is Shakespeare. I loved all his books even some of it are tragic love story.
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

Was Shakespeare a sadist? How do you create characters to kill? Or instilling values was not a necessity then? Tragedies of this type disorient me.
Realidad20_

Post by Realidad20_ »

In terms of language and style, Romeo and Juliet might possibly be the best of all Shakespeare's work. It's crammed full of some of the most beautiful poetry I've ever had the pleasure of reading. But the story of lust-filled teens sacrificing themselves because of an extreme burst of instalove? Never really been my cup of tea.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I read this in high school, an age where all of my romance interests and sagas seemed equally as dire as the situation Romeo and Juliet find themselves in. I honestly don't think it would hold the same power for me today as it did back then.
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

When I was a child and pre-teen, I considered Romeo and Juliet the greatest love story of all time. What could be more romantic than dying because you feel you cannot survive without the object of your desire? In my later teens, though, I heard the Dire Straits song about the story and re-examined the tale objectively, knowing what I now knew (too well, ugh) about teen love and impetuousness. There’s a great lyric in the song that says “When you gonna realize? / It was just that the time was wrong...” When you really think about it, that’s absolutely right. Juliet was too young to be free of her family by choice, they both lacked life experience to see any other way out than deceptive means, and Romeo thought Juliet really was dead because he wasn’t able to get the message from the priest in time to understand Juliet’s plan due to the plague causing the messenger to make a detour. I’m still able to appreciate the story for what it is and what the poor characters go through, but ultimately, the real tragedy in it stems from the stubbornness of youth exacerbated by horrible timing.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
SarahTheReader
Currently Reading: Mansfield Park
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahthereader.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by SarahTheReader »

I have a love/hate relationship with R&J. I understand the appeal of the whirlwind romance and falling in love with the person on the wrong side of the tracks but I just can't get behind teen love blinders. Juliet is 13! And although I understand people got married significantly earlier back in the day, 13 is too early to be adulting when her lived experience was so limited. At that age, no one is free of the persuasions of their surroundings. Heck, even most true adults aren't free of the demands of family, friends and society!
chaseygatha1
Currently Reading: How to win friends and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaseygatha1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by chaseygatha1 »

I love Romeo and Juliet. It causes the reader/viewer to question whether forbidden love causes couples to make rash decisions. It also causes the reader to question whether people get into relationships,which are frowned upon by society, because of the thrill and excitement it may bring. Therefore, they do not think of its consequences.

Return to “Classic Books”