Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
theworkerbee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Flowers in the Attic and Petals in the Wind

Post by theworkerbee »

I read this book once at school and watched the movie too. Yes, the mother was wicked in the movie. I would love to read what the difference is with this book.
Lucy M

Post by Lucy M »

If I'm honest, the only reason why I read these books was because of the movie. It got caught from the first five minutes and it kept me hooked until the last seconds.

I've never been a fan of the open endings. I need a clear conclusion, either it is a good one or not. But Flowers in the attic didn't give me that, so that I had the necessity to search it on Google, and I find out that the movie was based on a book series. I decide to download the first one, just to see how it was, and I didn't regret.

There's some people who feel awkward about the incestuous relationship that develops in the story, but in my personal opinion, I think it is an interesting outlook of the siblings' love. Moreover, the characters are greatly made, they are depth and complex, and I love the way they make you forget that they aren't real.

I think this is a series that is worth reading. Not because of the plot, but because of its characters.
Svraka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20728">The Little Prince</a>
Currently Reading: Scouting for the Reaper
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Svraka »

Honestly, I think I would have enjoyed the book more without the incestuous moments... That threw me off the entire book and grossed me out... :shock:

I would like to add that if anyone is into podcasts (like me!) I suggest checking out Teen Creeps on iTunes or Google Play! They review YA novels and they did a great episode on Flowers in The Attic.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

When I read these some years back I found them brilliant reads but just so disturbing. I have never seen the TV versions but I might just give them a try, at least to see how they measure up against the books.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I had read the Flowers In The Attic when I was really young. This book stuck with me and I remembered it from time to time and never knew that it had sequels AND a movie. I think it's time for a reread : :drool:
lanama1377
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by lanama1377 »

I read Flowers in the Attic and, thanks to stumbling upon this site, I'm going to look for the sequels. Loved the book, had a lot of details the movie didn't have. Well, maybe couldn't have is a much better way to put it. Incest is still frowned upon no matter how far we have progressed as a society (the book describes a love making scene between the brother and sister). There was also the blood sucking event when the siblings were desperate for nourishment and the wicked grandmother wouldn't bring them any food.
Well written book despite the very disturbing yet realistic theme.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I read Flowers in the Attic and Petals on the Wind and fell in love with them. I personally haven't read anything quite like them before and since. I think I watched one movie, but I don't quite remember. I'll have to search them out and marathon them. I also need to get my hands on the other books in the series, and other V.C. Andrews novels.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
lakensteele20

Post by lakensteele20 »

These books are simply just amazing. Must reads in my opinion. There probably more for people who like suspense type books.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Such nice books! I was thinking about rereading them honestly, they kinda got lost between all the rest...
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I think morbid fascination would describe my reaction to this series. The theme was unsettling, but i just couldn't pit them down.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wokeread »

I read Flowers in the Attic as a teenager. All I remember from that was being shocked and really really sad. I didn't know it was a series and never read the second book. From the comments here, am totally disinclined to read any other book in that series! There is enough horror in the news!
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

One year while I worked in a library, I read the whole series. Truly captivating, mysterious, and heartwrenching all at the same time. I love all of V.C. Andrews' books.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

The whole story line of these books is so crazy but so interesting at the same time. I read the first one a long time ago but now that I’m thinking about it I don’t think I ever read the follow up book. Might need to be the next up on my list!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

There are five books in all in the Dollanganger series. I believe this is the only series completely written by Virginia Andrews. The family got a ghost writer after she died.
Sharon whitted

Post by Sharon whitted »

My grandma had the whole series of books and she said when in her pasting they were mine but someone else took them

Return to “Classic Books”