Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leafmachine3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues

Post by Leafmachine3 »

I haven't read much of his works, but I know a lot of the stories. I like them a lot. When I was a kid , I used to imagine that I would someday when I grow up, build my own awesome submarine. I used to imagine all the different rooms it would have and how amazing it would be, and all the modern inventions it would have, as well as many of my own ideas for cool new inventions, especially ones utilizing magnetism. Physics and advanced submarines go together great! And they are still fun to think about.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read most of his books in my childhood and this was one of my favorite.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
sfinch90

Post by sfinch90 »

This book. Right here. I had never read any with this sort of adventure. In the sea, all of those names of sea life, the type of life the people led, great.
CONSTARA
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constara.html

Post by CONSTARA »

One of my favorite books.
hayleyb1
Currently Reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Post by hayleyb1 »

“Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea” is a classic novel that has endured as a wonderful read since the 1860s when it was published. This science fiction novel is informative, imaginative, and compelling to readers with an interest in adventures to worlds unknown, especially on our own world. The reader must stay with the storyline to get the entire effect that Jules Verne was writing about.

The classification of sea animals through the book in vivid detail was interesting at first but after the second and third time of listing detailed descriptions, scientific classifications, and sizes of mollusks, fish, and cetaceans, the descriptions become something you want to skim over to get back to the storyline. The reader can be bored by these details but just as you are about to abandon the book, Mr. Verne excites the reader with battles with giant squids, prisons of ice, and underwater forests ripe with hunting potential.

I’ve personally noticed with many classic novels that the writers LOVE details and descriptions so I ask that any potential readers admire that quality and pay attention to the dialogue and settings represented by numerous cultures and classes of people in these wonderful time-capsules.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I read Vernes' books as a kid and I think as a science fiction author he was way ahead of his times or that he kind of propelled imagination in science. I really enjoyed this book and Verne's ability to completely teleport the reader to a different, exciting, and also scary at times, underwater world was impressive. I would recommend it to every teen.
rcratty
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcratty.html

Post by rcratty »

Jules Verne is a fantastic author for families to discover and explore A forward thinker with a great imagination, Verne writes about adventures that take readers anywhere from the center of the earth, to outer space, to the depths of the sea. As a teacher I loved recommending his work. Verne inspired many inventions; I suggested to GT students: as a family, you could investigate which of his literary inventions came true.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I recently read this to my son. It was the first time I had ever read it. We loved it!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I liked it but I think the original version is a bit deep for most kids these days.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
saint 71094
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-71094.html

Post by saint 71094 »

verne is the best author i could find to read classic scifi , he may have inspired many of the minds of his day and even now impress us .the concept of a self sustaining submarine was alien to the minds of people those days.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

The copy of this book I read was extremely old (yellowed pages, pages falling out), but I always think of this book as full of color. I love the descriptions Verne uses in his writing. I haven't read any of his other works yet, but I do want to. This was a really fun read.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

This is one of my favourite books and I absolutely love it. The way he describes the sea life is completely spellbinding

-- 05 Jul 2017, 08:13 --

I loved the book especially since I like books about adventure. The way Jules Vene has described advancements well ahead of his time and the vivid descriptions of life in the sea is just fantabulous.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Jules Verne was looking far ahead when he wrote this. It is a pity that even today we still have not fully explored the depths of our oceans. It is amazing to think about the worlds that lie hidden, waiting to be found.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

July's Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is definitely a classic. His imagination and description of future possibilities is amazing.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
AC Michael

Post by AC Michael »

One of the greats. Ahead of his time. And the book is so much better than the film.

Return to “Classic Books”