A Tale of Two Cities

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: A Tale of Two Cities

Post by ttuso22 »

I remember when I first read this book. It was in my A.P. Literature class of my Junior year in high school and I expected it to be another horrid assignment filled with indecipherable diction and unnecessary descriptions. Boy was I wrong! My friend and I instantly fell in love with Charles Dickens from this book and were so excited by how much we enjoyed it while the rest of my class dreaded another reading assignment. Hello we were in an A.P. Lit class, though, what did they think they were getting into? Ha-ha anyways I thoroughly enjoyed this book and await the day when I can sit down again and read it once more. For anyone who loves a good classic, this is definitely it! The beautiful portrayal of sacrifice and love between the characters was so convicting and a pleasure to read!
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

This is an excellent book, but in my opinion Dickens wrote several others that were better. Pickwick Papers, Bleak House, Great Expectations, Nicholas Nickleby, etc. In comparison with those, Tale of Two Cities seems to me to be more contrived, with inferior characterizations, and a less compelling plot. However, I do realize I'm comparing the book to one of the best bodies of work in existence. Compared to most novels written by ordinary mortals, Tale is very good.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
salberson 10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I tried freshman year of high school to read a Tale of Two Cities - most painful experience ever. The next year I adored Great Expectations and it remains to be one of my favorite books! - but since many years have past and the reviews on this forum I kinda want to try again.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

salberson 10 wrote:I tried freshman year of high school to read a Tale of Two Cities - most painful experience ever. The next year I adored Great Expectations and it remains to be one of my favorite books! - but since many years have past and the reviews on this forum I kinda want to try again.
I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorites of Dickens. In fact, I like it better than Great Expectations.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

PashaRu wrote:
I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorites of Dickens. In fact, I like it better than Great Expectations.

Really!!?? Can you explain why?
and I'm definitely giving it another shot soon!!
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

I bought a book with both A Tale of Two Cities & Great Expectations as recommended via Oprah's Book Club. I have yet to get through the whole story, only because I don't think I had the full concentration to take in the details when I started it and quickly came to a standstill, ultimately it got set aside. When I picked it back up I decided I would start with Great Expectations, which is interesting although I have not read far into it yet as I started another book lent to me by a work colleague by David Copperfield. I will go back to it and finish Great Expectations then return to A Tale of Two Cities with full attention and repost to this forum but I have no doubt Charles Dickens will get my attention easily.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

salberson 10 wrote:
PashaRu wrote:

Really!!?? Can you explain why?
and I'm definitely giving it another shot soon!!
I find the story and characters more compelling and interesting. I love the sweeping historical backdrop of the French Revolution in ATOTC. There's great mystery and adventure. Both the protagonists and antagonists are hard to forget (although Miss Havisham is also quite memorable). Don't get me wrong, GE is a terrific story. IMO, ATOTC is even better.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Nina1703
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina1703.html

Post by Nina1703 »

I have to say 'Tale of Two Cities' is one of my favourites! I remember reading this book in high school and loving it. Oh, and if you like this one, I totally recommend 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' by Emma Orczy. I love it because I think it's so clever and witty. It's funny because even the film is great, despite being black and white.
ac9726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ac9726.html

Post by ac9726 »

I got this book from my great grandfather a few years back. The book was really great.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

A Tale of Two Cities is a historical fiction book. The story took place in both England and France in the 1700s.

The scene when Lucie saw her father for the first time was a touching scene. This is not a scene that has any rising action or any kind of an action, but it shows the psychology of a man who had been in prison for a long time for doing nothing wrong.

The second scene that interested me was the scene when Lucie's father found out who Charles Darnay was, and he said nothing because he loved his daughter so much. After finding out what he had been through, we'd expect him to speak against Darnay's and Lucie's marriage but he did not. He kept all his pain inside, just to make her daughter happy.

The final scene that made me interested was the scene when Sydney Carton changed places with Charlas Darnay. Charles was not his brother, uncle, friend or anything. He sacrificed his life because he wanted Lucie, Lucie's future children and Charles to have a life together. We know that Sydney loved Lucie, he was in love with her. Right before the moment he's been sent to the Guillotine, there was only one thing that kept him happy, warm and maybe even relaxed. He saw the future above in his eyes, he saw that he was dying for a good,very good reason. And he died knowing that he would not be forgotten.

This story impressed me emotionally and I recommend it to my friends because I know that they will be impressed as I am impressed now.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I've been rereading the book, and I find that I enjoy it now even more than I did then. I love the way it ties in the history of the French Revolution and shows the terror that can come when a group of people with legitimate complaints become a mob. I've mostly read books which glorify revolutions in some way, and it's exciting to read something that, while not entirely condemning it (for it shows that the people have genuine grievances), does show that the revolutionaries can be just as dangerous and terrible as the people they are revolting against.

Like a lot of other people on here, I love the character of Sydney Carton. He feels a lot more fleshed out than some of the other characters (though there are some layers to Charles Darnay that one of my friends apparently doesn't quite see), and I think I loved him even before I knew I did, for he's just that sort of character that I grow increasingly fond of.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

I love Charles Dickens. I've read most of his popular works, but a Tale of Two Cities will always remain my favorite ever.
Radhika_17
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Radhika_17 »

This book was gifted to me by my english teacher on my birthday. I, sincerely, couldn't read it because it was too boring in the initial pages. So, I put it down after a few pages. After all the comments here, I think I'll read it after all. *Feeling crazy*
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This was assigned reading for me in high school, and I remember just slogging through it. I didn't like it then, and I don't think I'd like it now. I've given Dickens many tries, and I just find his writing to be too wordy without really getting anywhere.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
kgarms

Post by kgarms »

This book is better on the second read. The book is great the first time through, but when you read it again, it is easier to pick up on the foreshadowing and the clues to what is coming. A great read!

Return to “Classic Books”