Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Re: Review: Dracula-Bram Stoker

Post by Northernbird84 »

By far one of my favourite books. Parts gave me chills, such as when the seemingly abandoned ship floats into Whitby.
I may be biased as Whitby is one of my favourite places in the world to go and I visit as often as I can. I know the Abbey and I know the scenery so well that at times I place myself within the story. This is a book I can reread over and over again.

The novel is horror, whereas the film focuses on Romance. The two - whilst both good - are very different beasts.

I highly recommend it.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Hannah_Vibbert
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert »

This has always been one of my favorite books. I've read it several times throughout the years and always seem to find something new to live about it but the reason I was initially drawn in was the visuals that I would get while reading. Though lengthy and somewhat boring, the descriptive passages paint beautiful pictures to go along with the narrative.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

This book has been sitting on my shelf forever! I have heard before that it is a slow read so I haven't been in the mindset yet to read it. I will have to finally give it a try soon.
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

"Dracula" isn't just any book. Unlike the film and other books on vampires. I think Stoker really brought out the romantic-horror he wanted that can not be replaced or further improved.

The thing about "Dracula" by Bram Stoker is how it holds you in place for minutes without breath. You have suspicions when you read it: "was he the driver? How would John escape? If Lucy gets blood from Hon. Arthur, wouldn't the Count come for him? Mina would have to un-tie John's book"

Despite being a horror book, "Dracula"
Still has it's comedy, like when they (find out who THEY are yourselves) discovered Lucy's mother had opened the windows for the garlic to go out and the Professor's reaction.

The book also has beautiful wise quotes. One of which is "knowledge is stronger than memory, we must not trust the weaker"

Enjoy the book
Pinknails10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Pinknails10 »

Dracula evil drinks blood of humans and has a dark alter. Vampires and woman victims turn evil.There is a good ending they put stagger in Draculars back.Dracular and his bitting victims cruel way to live. Interesting novel Mina lucky not to be bitten. Thank you
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

Review of Dracula By Bram Stoker
Published the good days, Dracula has become a sensation till now as even the latest episodes of 2018 serial movies have the protons of the vampire lord.

The story is written with combos of Diaries, Journals, newspapers and so on. Making it hard to say this book is written in first-person. This complex but simple narrative begins with Jonathan Harkers.
Jonathan is a solicitor who goes on a journey to Transylvania to give detail to a rich Count. To his shock, the Count is a Dreaded monster. His name...Dracula. Stoker points out his main quality- "the dead travels fast".
Jonathan is questioned beyond the house sale unknown to him that the Dracula is headed for England. He lives Jonathan to his doom.
The character Lucy becomes a pray for the count bringing in together Prof Van Helsing, Mr Morris, Dr Seward, Mina Harkers, and Lord Arthur to her aid but it her loss, they must find a way to set her free from UNDead.
The tides rise again when Dracula goes after her friend, Mina as a lesson to her husband, Jonathan and the latter men who try to seek him out.
The best part I like about this book is
"Knowledge is stronger than memory, we must never trust the weaker"
In this book, I think this the guide.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I am very glad that I read Dracula. I think its good to see where a story starts to appreciate or critique what it has grown into today (the many adaptations and what not). I was glad it was written the way it was (I think someone commented above about the almost "found footage" feel of it and I really agree). I did have a hard time with at the about the 60% mark, I thought it slowed down, and I really had to fight to finish it. (and someone commented on the literature of the time, I agree with that as well)

My main thought upon finishing it was - I wondered what it would have been like to read this in the time period it was written. Maps had been fully filled in and we were on the cusp of 1900, but do you think there was a bit of a panic about vampires? For me, while reading it there were parts that worked into my imagination and late at night I found myself thinking about certain parts of the book.

I also wondered about the implications of east vs west and the "invasion" of Britain. I think some others have explored this topic wonderfully above as well. (I also think its funny to see that this crops up in a lot of literature from that time period... for example, Lord of the Rings has it too).

I recently found out that Stoker's great grand-nephew wrote a book called Dracul. Has anyone read it? I wondered if it was worth a read or a skip.
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

Although the beginning of this novel is slow paced, the story develops exquisitely and so does the action. The plot was well conceived and the characters easy to imagine. I enjoyed this book immensely despite the time taken to read and appreciate it, and i have also read Dracula's guest, which, on its own is another great work of Bram Stoker
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

One of my favorites as well!!!! Who wouldn't have nightmares especially back in the time period it was written. Creepy, creepy, a vampire,dead, soulless and.... lonely?!? Huh, it's been a while but this story has always gotten to me. A loveless love, oh maybe that's just another greedy blood sucking need??? 😎
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Wreade1872 wrote: 01 Jan 2014, 10:06 I'm a big Dracula fan i love its 'found footage' kind of vibe, i was just thinking i wonder if there is a version of this out there thats is printed up as if its the original documents. So you'd get the diaries, the letters, the newspaper clippings and maybe a cd or downloadable mp3s of the dictaphone records. That would be awesome, probably does exist somewhere i'll have a look later.

My only problem with the story is the ending which for a modern reader does seem a bit anti-climactic, the chase is fine your just expecting a bit more when they catch up. Still really like it though overall.
There is this book called The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova where the protagonists try to find Dracula, who is apparently still alive. It is a very interesting read, albeit a bit long (500+ pages). Kostova is a wonderful writer. This book gave me chills. Dracula by Bram Stoker is, of course, a masterpiece.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

I loved and appreciate this story so much! I still think about it from time to time. I don't think I will read it again though. It was definitely a lot and took me awhile to finish.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

I enjoyed the movie more than the book. I don't like horror or thriller themes that much so with the book some parts were a bit frightening for me. I think with horror movies you can fast forward but with novels even when you turn the page faster it feels like you missed some parts. Plus in movies you can get to the end more quickly.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I really, really loved it so much! The way the book is written, the way it all comes together, the way the characters are depicted...it trully is a masterpiece!
Jiya bothara
Favorite Book: Anne of Green Gables
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Jiya bothara »

When I first started reading the book I couldn't understand the way the author jumped from Harkers journal to Mina Murray's letters so I stopped reading but after sometime I read it again and paid more attention so this time I understood it.

Once I understood it I really started liking it .
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I was planning to check it out but now I'm conflicted...
I don't like the idea of diary entries to be honest, because there isn't much details to be provided like when narration is done in third person.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.

Return to “Classic Books”