Agatha Christie vs Arthur Conan Doyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Agatha Christie or Arthur Conan Doyle

Agatha Christie
57%
Arthur Conan Doyle
43%

Total votes: 54

Lemon_meringue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lemon-meringue.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Agatha Christie vs Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Lemon_meringue »

Agatha Christie IS THE QUEEN OF CRIME.Arthur Conan Doyle is a good author but cannot be compared in the balance as the QUEEN . In my opinion,the Sherlock Holmes TV series is the one that drove up the popularity of Sherlock.On the other hand , THE QUEEN stands her own and even though there were movies based on her books none can bring out the richness and complexity of characters in the book.
adiawayman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adiawayman.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by adiawayman »

I completely agree that Agatha Christie is a better writer than Arthur Conan Doyle. However, if you read Agatha Christie's autobiography Come Tell Me How You Live, you find she modeled her character Poirot off Sherlock Holmes. Can you see the similarities between the two characters?
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Very difficult to choose between these two amazing writers but Agatha Christie is definitely the winner here. Her characters and plot have such depth and you can never guess the mystery. She has a very unique perspective.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

They're both incredible but I think there's just something about Christie's novels that add something unique to the crime-solving genre
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

Arthur Conan Doyle's writing is short and focuses a lot on Sherlock and his ways of deduction. There is a story of course behind it all, but if I had to read a proper story that I could get my teeth into, it would definitely be Agatha Christie. I love Sherlock, I have read almost everything but if I had to choose I would pick Agatha Christie. Her world is much more diverse and has a lot more characters and depth to it I think!!
AGreatUsername
Currently Reading: Walks of Life
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AGreatUsername »

Agatha Christie, hands down. She is to literature, to me, what Hitchcock is to film.
Rave4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave4.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Rave4 »

Well if we go by how big and popular their characters are, then Arthur Conan Doyle wins hands down
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

Agatha Christie over Author Conan Doyle for me. Agatha Christie is able to catch and keep my attention. Also, I like how different and complexity of her characters. I love watching the movies and television series based on her books.
Booklover+101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover+101 »

Both are good reads. It's a matter of preference and taste - dare I say. They're both as complex and as simple as we perceive them and very much similar but Agatha certainly envelopes you a bit more...my opinion
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I haven't read as much Agatha Christie. I just love Arthur Conan Doyle's work. Sherlock Holmes is such an incredible character. I personally loved all of his stories, but I enjoy the thought process of the detective.
Ciarli

Post by Ciarli »

Conan Doyle it is too childish and absurd! eventhough sherlock detective argues and thinks over the fact, the mystery is always solved by the crumble of a wall, by finding a thumb or it has not any criminal in the plot.
cgreene0815
Currently Reading:

Post by cgreene0815 »

I have so many Agatha Christie books. I'm attempting to complete my library with all of her work
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I completely agree, Aghata Christie is more appealing to the reader. She involves you better in the crimes, and makes you part of the investigation.
Ciarli

Post by Ciarli »

comparing Poirot of Agatha Christie with the creation of Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes, its evident that the stories of Poirot are more complete, he doesnt guess but investigates!
I cant understand Doyle beyond his art valor...one man falls from the bicycle and has closed his father in his room, that kills himself etc.. in the end no crime committed or the finding of some gem in a goose crop!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I think both of them are legends on their own..It is difficult to pick Agatha Christy over Sir Arther Conan Doyle or vise versa. Both have written legendary stories and created memorable characters.

Return to “Classic Books”