Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Re: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Post by Bigwig1973 »

As a child, the Jabberwocky frightened me. I loved the Cheshire cat, however, he also seemed so wise and kind. I could never quite figure out why the Jabberwocky was to scary. The characters initially seem delightful and fantastic but as you grow up you realize it's not all that delightful. I also learned many years after I first read it that Lewis Carrol was also a logician and, I think a pastor or a chaplain. I had and may still have one of his books on logic that I haven't read. The book is somewhat frightening from a psychological/scientific perspective: the mad hatter, according to popular belief, was actually mad due to mercury poisoning which came from using mercury to process felt for hats. Whether or not that's true, I can't really say for sure. But, as a children's book, quite delightful.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
mpsmaster
Favorite Book: Think and grow rich
Currently Reading: As a Man Thinketh
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpsmaster.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by mpsmaster »

The classic centipede question: Who are you?
What do you think it was about?
“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”
Wendy Brewster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wendy Brewster »

First book I ever read...although fantasy and lot of poetry in involved was able to grab my interest I was seven years old the first time
streetsolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-streetsolo.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by streetsolo »

I loved this book. I also never read it as a child but as an adult and I just love the word use and the language that Carroll uses. I actually went back and read this after reading the Jabberwocky, and I love the way the two fit together.
"Your progress flows from where your focus goes."
-Sydney Cummings
Rave4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave4.html
Latest Review: Naked Truth by Carrie Hayes

Post by Rave4 »

I read Alice in the wonderland as an adult, but its magic did not fail to captivate me. What I love most about the book is the seemingly carefree nature of the book with its underlying deeper theme
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

Of everything fantastic — and fantastical — about Alice in Wonderland, I think the most incredible thing about it is how it reaches so many due to the infinite ways it can be interpreted. Some think it was just one long drug hallucination, some think it was cleverly-disguised political commentary, to some it’s an innocent story of the wonders a young girl’s imagination can conjure, for some it’s an allegory on childhood maturation, etc. It’s the quintessential story for all ages and backgrounds!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
SUZANNA KATALANA

Post by SUZANNA KATALANA »

Love the book and read it multiple times throughout many years as a child and an adult. A beautiful story that captures your attention and makes it hard to stop reading. Interestingly I kept discovering new things for myself every time I would read it again. Probably you get to pay attention to some details of the story as time goes on and you get older. Magical book.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I love the way that Lewis Carroll created such an intricate world that you can get lost in. The fact that you can imagine what it looks like in any way you want and the mixture of all of the different mythical or odd characters have inspired so many minds for 2 centuries. It delights both children and adults to this day and I cannot get enough of it.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland  is written in the view of a child. It makes the readers curious and keep the readers attached to the book.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland  is written in the view of a child. Therefore, the book couls be recommended for children to read.
ANUSREE BABU P
Currently Reading: Tortured in Ashram

Post by ANUSREE BABU P »

I always love to experience the joy of wonder and I love the adventure stories like Alice in wonder land. As a grown up, I enjoy this like books. Alice and her friends in wonder world always make me curious.
Ana Figueroa
Currently Reading: The Dollshouse Murder
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-figueroa.html
Latest Review: The Society of Living Poets by Andrew McCollister

Post by Ana Figueroa »

I love the book. I have a pop-up version and my 4-year-old loves it. The imagery is really something else!!
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

Isn't his mind just filled with whimsy? Between Carroll and L. Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz) I am absolutely enamored by the detailed and fantastical worlds they were able to create. Have any of you ever seen the special edition Salvador Dali Alice in Wonderland print? I have it and it fits perfectly with the story.
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
msilva99
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: A Touch of Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by msilva99 »

I've always loved the movies, and I recently read the book Heartless by Marissa Meyer (a re-telling of the same kingdom). The author made a lot of references to it and I think I'd like to read the original book. I used to think it was for children but I think I was wrong..
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

We had a small chapter of the book in our textbook and we believed that the story was only that long. It was later that we were introduced to the full book of that enjoyable chapter.

Return to “Classic Books”