Classics: Why We Should Encourage Children to Read Them

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Re: Classics: Why We Should Encourage Children to Read Them

Post by Adair McClain »

I never read any classics on my own growing (beyond school), but later on I kind of made myself do it. I wanted to have those classics on my "Read" list---The Once and Future King, Black Beauty, White Fang, Call of the Wild, Treasure Island, Dracula.....And after reading them, I realized how much I actually really, really enjoyed them.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think that it is important to teach the classics simply because they are part of literacy history. The classics helped shape the literature that we now have today. It is important for children to know the history behind every thing they are in their lives.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

As a future English teacher, I am so excited to teach and encourage kids to read classic literature! However, I know not all students will take to the classics as some of us have, so I plan on incorporating contemporary works into my curriculum as well, in hopes they come to like reading and not get scared off by intimidating classics. If all goes well, and they enjoy the contemporaries, maybe they will be able to take on classics with less trepidation. Of course, not everyone likes classics, and I feel like as long as people read, they can still get many benefits, like an improved vocabulary or an enhanced empathetic view on life.
vilana74
Currently Reading: Sandy's Story
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by vilana74 »

Well, there are classics and there are classics. Hopefully, kids can start of with real kids classic that are fun to read and easy to digest. Hopefully, they won't be turned off by boring and complex language...
Then, again, every generation has their own list of 'classics'. And there is not single truth about whose classics are more classics...
I had to read Dostoyevsky at 14 and absolutely hated it. However, his Idiot at 40 was just the thing...
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I agree that children should be encouraged to read classics. They are very informative and can be eye opening to important issues being ignored by the society.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I agree that children should be encouraged to read classics. It enhances their reading abilities. I also used to read classics in school and from there my reading and writing skills developed.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I think that classics should be taught just because they are interesting in their own right. There is always this impression that the classics are boring, so one would rather read the popular novels, or just simply watch movies or play video games. If one finds Charles Dickens boring, it's okay, just like not everyone finds "Harry Potter" interesting. He/she can just find another classic literature that would interest him/her.
-rk
ElizabethR
Currently Reading: Swann's Way
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabethr.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by ElizabethR »

When I was about ten years old, I was at a far more advanced reading level than my classmates. My parents, however, didn't want me reading the Y.A. fiction coming out at the time, because, even though I was able to comprehend advanced words and plot, I was not mature enough to encounter some of the themes in Y.A. fiction. So I asked my mom, "Well, what CAN I read?" She said (I think, in some way, jokingly), "How about Shakespeare?" The next day, we went to the library, and I picked up a copy of Romeo and Juliet. That experience, my first with what one would consider classic literature, has formed my path in life. There's a reason why classic literature is called classic: it has staying power and confronts issues that are part of human experience, no matter what age you are. Even though it's difficult to read through on a syntactical level, with some help from more experienced readers, I think that kids can find an introduction to classic story telling, dilemmas that they might come across in their lives, and begin developing a sense of empathy along with their vocabulary.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Coming to the debate very late: yes, I think it is good for children to read the classics, though I can't think of many who would cope with Romeo and Juliet at that age. I've met somebody who claimed to have read The Great Gatsby at age 10, but I don't think she understood it. I think that, for confident readers, coping with the more demanding syntax of earlier ages is very good for their intellectual development; it's a kind of mental weight-lifting - gets them in shape for greater challenges.

Having said that, there is a lot of great YA fiction out there.
ElizabethR
Currently Reading: Swann's Way
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabethr.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by ElizabethR »

That's true. I recently read a YA book called "Ostrich Boys" by Keith Gray, and it was hilarious and deeply insightful all at the same time.
I said I read "Romeo and Juliet," but I definitely didn't really appreciate it until later. I was pretty lost! But the one thing I knew was that the words were beautiful, and that they were used beautifully. :)
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

We all know there is a very big gap with today's generation and the previous ones. They do not read as much as we used to. It is very important for children to know the tales where everything came from because it helps them deal with their imagination. The classics exist for a reason, they were the start of something great. It somehow connects the present to the past, because the classics are how we used to do things before. They were our refuge then when we wanted to get away from reality and just stay in our own world.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

There are many reasons why a child should be encouraged to read classic literature, but if for no other reason it makes them well-rounded, educated adults. In later life if they are confronted with a Shakespearian quote or hear a term like Kafkaesque they won't just stare into space with no idea of what the speaker is alluding to.

I recently responded in a forum post to a news article on Yahoo News about communist countries becoming more capitalistic solely with the comment, "Four legs good, two legs better." and got a lot of "thumbs up" on my comment. Obviously those who gave me the thumbs up understood that I was quoting from the manifesto in Animal Farm by George Orwell. I'm sure there were many others who had no clue to the meaning of my post.

In my life I have personally been confronted too many times to count with allusions to classic literature with references in movies, other books, conversation and even songs. Without a reasonably solid background in classical literature all of those references would have been over my head.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Children should be encouraged to read classics. However, most children have this preconceived notion that anything classic is boring and is only for older people. We should help them to associate classics with fun. I also agree that blending new and old is the best way to go.
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

Classics in general are treasures that should be passed from generation to generation. Some are more interesting than others, and some may not make much sense to a younger generation, but it can't hurt to know a little history, right?
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

As a future educator, I agree that students should read the classics. I grew up with a love for the classics, Shakespeare specifically, and I feel that I am a better person because of it. The classics taught me things that I still hold onto this day.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

Return to “Classic Books”