Classic or modern?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Modern books or classics?

1. Modern
31%
2. Classic
69%

Total votes: 80

Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Classic or modern?

Post by Sithmi »

Both modern and classics. but I mostly prefer classics and I think most of the readers prefer classics. Some of the modern books will also become classics in future.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Is there any doubt? Old books are called "classics" for some reason. What they describe in the past most often applies in modern times as well.
Mariam369
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mariam369 »

Of course, classic books are the best, and modern books are impossible to pass them by
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Modern. I find other books that is the same theme are better than the classic ones.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I haven't read so many classical books but the few that I've read are amazing. However, I think the glory given to classic books is sometimes overrated. Each book is unique to its time, including outspoken modern books like Harry Potter, some of which have even been made into movies. There will be a time the modern books we have will also be Throw-backs and called classics too.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I love classic books, and I gravitate towards them generally. But in 20 years, the "modern" books of our generation will become the new classics! As language evolves and boundaries get broken, surely that allows for more creativity and more authors to experiment with genres in the same way that the original classics did during their time?

I read Girl, Woman, Other recently and it made me think about the concept of classics - mainly because I felt that it deserved a space up there with all of our revered old classic books as a novel you'll never forget reading. Really, the only distinction between "modern" and "classic" is time.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I am someone who wants to read diversely so I don't just stick to classics. I read literature from different regions too. It gives a different perspective and I love it.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I agree. I would keep the classics over the modern. The classics were written in such a way that the author needed it to be well written in order for it to sell as books were more expensive and not many were made. In modern literature if the book doesn’t do well the author can still find other ways to still sell the book. There is also the fact in classic books they were designed to be creations of conversation amongst the scholars, people were considered cultured to be able to discuss the book where now it is for personal pleasure.
Dunstan Brooks
Favorite Author: Langston Hughes
Favorite Book: The Ways of White Folks
Currently Reading: The Measure of a Man
Bookshelf Size: 798
fav_author_id: 2732

Post by Dunstan Brooks »

Nowadays, I seem to enjoy the classics more. I want to say that, perhaps, equal weight should be given to both. But, that makes me feel that I am being a bit hypocritical since I find myself drawn more to the classics. Of course it should be noted that some present works will be considered classics in the future.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

I would personally take classics because they tend to be so much more engrossing and captivating and the ideas come across to the reader in ways the modern books don't. Although there are some modern books I have found that I have kept close to my heart. So I bask in the glory of the classics and enjoy the beauty of the moderns.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

I like to read classics every now and then but for the majority of the time I prefer modern books cause they are not relatable I guess. And the language is simpler and easily understandable.
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I think I am a person who loves both classic and modern literature in a balanced way. I love classic literature because there is something fascinating about how it was written and how beautifully magnified the plot is. What I find difficult when it comes to classic lit is that it is very hard to read, especially because I am living in the modern times and the English language revolved wholly, and then that is where my love and appreciation for modern lit comes in the way. I appreciate and love modern lit because it is written in a simple manner, I don't need the dictionary for most of the time, and I relate to it the most because it is about the modern world. What I do not enjoy for modern lit is that plots seem to be always just like each other. The base of the story and tropes are not really new to you and therefore it makes me feel bored.
Yasser Gewayfel
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Yasser Gewayfel »

Modern literature is good at a lot where it describes the current situation, but the classic describes things we like to be
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Classic are helps in character development and they also build your mind. On the other hand modern genre is also important as the world is constantly changing. But if i had to choose i would choose classic.
:tiphat:
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

At this point, I feel very pleased that I started indulging myself with the classics quite a long time back and thus my likeness for the same blossomed in no time. I will always and always prefer the classics over modern books. There's something about the classics which cannot be ignored - it trains the mind to be flexible, to comprehend from one's personal perspectives to see life through the eyes of someone who is of another age, class, or race.

Return to “Classic Books”