The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cassie Cheyenne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post by Cassie Cheyenne »

I've read The Great Gatsby multiple times now and each time feels like the first. The writing always has this magical yet grounded feel. Thankfully when I watched the movie, they were able to keep the realistic wonder the novel holds.
Jkusser

Post by Jkusser »

While I haven't read this book since high school I still remember how much I liked the book. It was one of the books that made me want to keep reading other books.
beaatm_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beaatm.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by beaatm_ »

I am currently reading The Great Gatsby. Although I need to finish it in order to make any judgement, I am loving it.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Unpopular opinion: I didn't like The Great Gatsby. I don't think I really understood the point of it. I mean this question genuinely: can you please help change my mind?
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Candles
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Candles »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 13:45 Unpopular opinion: I didn't like The Great Gatsby. I don't think I really understood the point of it. I mean this question genuinely: can you please help change my mind?
I was unsure how I felt about The Great Gatsby for a while because well, not much actually happens. It's the story of a few people living fairly uneventful lives. However, I greatly enjoyed getting to know Gatsby, I thought the writing was wonderful and entrancing, and I really liked Nick as a character and enjoyed viewing the story through his eyes. I think it's simply a nice, wholesome read.

As others have mentioned; Gatsby loved the idea of a girl who didn't exist. I loved that the 'Great' Gatsby was a lonely man despite all his appearances, who lived in hope that the girl he loved would come back to him. He was everything she loved - money, success, glamour. And she was the American dream. It's a tragic but beautiful story. And despite the story being short, I felt like I knew the characters well at the end of it.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

laceyehrlich wrote: 17 Jun 2013, 12:16 In preparation for the summer film, The Great Gatsby, I re-read the book. Of course, it was just as good as it was the first time I read it, but I was able to pick up on some things that I hadn't noticed (or cared to pay attention to) in high school. I am interested, though, in talking about the differences and similarities between the book and the movie. It's easy to say "the book was better;" we know that, it always is. But what did you think about how the symbolism and the foreshadowing came across in the book vs. in the movie?
Have yet to see the re-make but did see the version with Robert Redford. Can't recall much about the book but do remember some key pieces that made their way into the film (1974). I really liked how some scenarios weren't overplayed, like in some modern "literature".
ellie_rue
Currently Reading: Gilead
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-rue.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by ellie_rue »

I read this book a few months ago and would love to hear some opinions on Daisy. I told my professor that i thought Daisy a very aware young woman. That she hated having to be "a beautiful fool" and wasn't happy with her live as a rich wife. I thought she seemed like a very strong character who was subject to the "silly woman" persona she had to play Yet upon sharing this, i was told that all Daisy was written as was a ditsy and unintelligent woman who loved being rich, almost as if she had no emotions. I even got an answer wrong on a test for not resigning her to a dumb girl! I'd just love to hear everyone else's opinion on her.
AlliOSU

Post by AlliOSU »

I think Fitzgerald was trying to convey a warning to his 1920's audience, and that it was not properly understood in the movie. Fitzgerald was giving his opinion on the current times by telling a story that would catch the attention of readers. The idea of one person's view disappears when a book is made into a movie.
Michael1896

Post by Michael1896 »

A true fan of The Great Gatsby. When comparing a book to a movie we know going in that changes will be made and we reserve hope ( a notable Gatsby characteristic) that as much of the true intent of the author can be conveyed in a few short hours. The benefits of a movie today, about a book from the 1920's, can really help readers capture the feel of the times. The clothes, the cars, the styles, and the buildings can help the viewer better place themselves in that time period. Being able to 'see' the time period helps cement memories from the well written book. To those who read the book please watch the movie. At the minimum you can immerse yourself in a time period of innocence for young America.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I haven’t watched the movie yet but I’m reading the book in class. What makes Gatsby so great, because right now he just feels overprotective over Daisy, who hasn’t even fully agreed to leaving Tom yet.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Alright, I'll say it, I actually did not really care for the Great Gatsby to much. There were some great lines that impressed me but over all its not my cup of tea. I want to make it clear that the story itself did not bother me, in fact I think it offered some clever insight in the lives of the wealthy in that time period. No, what bored me the style of writing. I guess I am not a Fitzgerald fan, or at least not a fan of this book. I just found it difficult to get sucked into his world, it was almost winded.
None the less, I still plan to check out the movie (both old and new).
Samiria

Post by Samiria »

I read the book and saw the 2013 movie version. The author put so much symbolism into the book and everything was connected perfectly. The filmmakers really did a great job picking the actors to play the characters. Even though they left out a couple of details from the book I would still totally recommend watching it. The book has more details so you should read the book before watching the movie.
Patricereads
Favorite Book: Diplomat of Uram
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Patricereads »

I think it's the best book by that author. I have it in three different languages. It's easy to read when you are learning a new language I guess. Always a nice classic.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

This is actually one of my all time favourite classics. I studied it at school but I'd already read the book and watched the film!
Maria 1956

Post by Maria 1956 »

I bought this book as a language student in the seventies and I found it of great literary value. Thinking of reading it again unless the book club asks me to read and review others.

Return to “Classic Books”