THINGS FALL APART

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

THINGS FALL APART

Post by Julez »

I decided to reread Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and it seems like I'm reading with new eyes. The opening chapter drew me into the action immediately. The author is a definite pro. Have you reread this book? What do you think of Okonkwo? Is his late father responsible for his actions or him? I really would like to know your views ๐Ÿ˜Š
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I'm currently reading this book! ๐Ÿ˜„

So far (I'm on Chapter 11), I find Okonkwo's actions true to his rigid (narrow-minded?) views of what men, strong and powerful men, should be. It's a good book on defining or reconstructing power and gender stereotypes.

What aspect did you like most about this book?
Bwambale Robert1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bwambale Robert1 »

I read this book. the aspect I got was to work hard because okwonkwo never inherited anything from his father
Isamonei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Isamonei »

But I love how torn Okwonko is about how he acts. There's that line where he wishes his daughter was a boy, because she'd make a good boy. And then the whole thing with how he basically loves Ikemefuna. I think Okwonko's also shows how repressive masculine expectations are for men.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

At first I didnโ€™t like Okwonko, but then I grew to respect him because he really stayed true to his character, holding firm to his values and ideals of masculinity. The ending was sad but I saw why it had to be done; the changes to the village and their beliefs would have made Okwonko go insane at some point, forcing him to do something drastic.
Overall, a good story involving a different culture, and about a man trying to hold on to his moral code amidst a sea of changes.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Ms Vinkel wrote: โ†‘07 Mar 2020, 12:08 I'm currently reading this book! ๐Ÿ˜„

So far (I'm on Chapter 11), I find Okonkwo's actions true to his rigid (narrow-minded?) views of what men, strong and powerful men, should be. It's a good book on defining or reconstructing power and gender stereotypes.

What aspect did you like most about this book?
It just seemed like a beautiful lifestyle and culture which ought not to have been disrupted. I felt sorry for him cos his own people could not unite with him.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Isamonei wrote: โ†‘14 Mar 2020, 23:50 But I love how torn Okwonko is about how he acts. There's that line where he wishes his daughter was a boy, because she'd make a good boy. And then the whole thing with how he basically loves Ikemefuna. I think Okwonko's also shows how repressive masculine expectations are for men.
I was wishing along with him too about his daughter :D and yeah, I see your point about repressive masculine expectations. He went overboard with it cos he didn't want to be likened to his father. Our backgrounds and experiences do affect our turnouts.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

VSuraj wrote: โ†‘18 Mar 2020, 22:24 At first I didnโ€™t like Okwonko, but then I grew to respect him because he really stayed true to his character, holding firm to his values and ideals of masculinity. The ending was sad but I saw why it had to be done; the changes to the village and their beliefs would have made Okwonko go insane at some point, forcing him to do something drastic.
Overall, a good story involving a different culture, and about a man trying to hold on to his moral code amidst a sea of changes.
Nice summary ๐Ÿ‘Œ
And yeah, the whole changes would probably have made him go insane. He just couldn't accept it like his friend.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Bwambale Robert1 wrote: โ†‘14 Mar 2020, 03:21 I read this book. the aspect I got was to work hard because okwonkwo never inherited anything from his father
True.
He didn't want to inherit his supposed weakness too. I think it's the reason why he went overboard with his "He-man" actions. :roll:
geormash

Post by geormash »

Okwonko never inherited anything from his father, hence his determination to work hard and beat his father's record. And build his own legacy.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

geormash wrote: โ†‘20 Apr 2020, 14:56 Okwonko never inherited anything from his father, hence his determination to work hard and beat his father's record. And build his own legacy.
He really did well for himself. A pity he had bad luck with the shooting incident.
KCFranklin

Post by KCFranklin »

I had my classes in African and Middle Eastern Studies read this novel as an example of how a colonial power forever changed the tribal traditions. Okwonko is very much presented in the manner of a Greek tragedy in that his hubris and unbending nature contribute to his downfall. One can not blame his father for Okwonko's troubles because he brings them on himself. For someone who honored tradition , coupled with his pride, should have never violated the Week of Peace or taken part in the murder of the young man. It was his stubborn pride that caused his downfall, not his father. Likewise he pushed his son into the colonial lifestyle through his discontentment of the boy's nature. It is no wonder that his end was as symbolic as it was; he brought it upon himself.

K. Courtney Franklin
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

KCFranklin wrote: โ†‘23 Apr 2020, 14:45 I had my classes in African and Middle Eastern Studies read this novel as an example of how a colonial power forever changed the tribal traditions. Okwonko is very much presented in the manner of a Greek tragedy in that his hubris and unbending nature contribute to his downfall. One can not blame his father for Okwonko's troubles because he brings them on himself. For someone who honored tradition , coupled with his pride, should have never violated the Week of Peace or taken part in the murder of the young man. It was his stubborn pride that caused his downfall, not his father. Likewise he pushed his son into the colonial lifestyle through his discontentment of the boy's nature. It is no wonder that his end was as symbolic as it was; he brought it upon himself.

K. Courtney Franklin
Interesting summation, Franklin. I guess his forced departure from the clan was karma. I also agree that his stubborn pride and anger pushed his son away. Men were probably not allowed to be sensitive in those days.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

This book really came full circle and while Okonkwo is hard to like at first, you almost pity him throughout.
Julez
Currently Reading:

Post by Julez »

Falling4Ever wrote: โ†‘02 May 2020, 11:10 This book really came full circle and while Okonkwo is hard to like at first, you almost pity him throughout.
That was the exact feeling I had.

Return to โ€œClassic Booksโ€