The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

Post by Redlegs »

DATo wrote:To whomever may be interested,

I realize this post is not on topic but I thought that those who have responded to this thread who have mentioned To Kill A Mockingbird might find it of interest. I had meant to mention this in my last post to Fran but forgot to.

I was given, as a gift, a book written by Charles J. Shields entitled Mockingbird - A Portrait Of Harper Lee. This is an amazingly detailed biography of Harper Lee which is mesmerizing. It is filled with anecdotal events in her life as well as a highly detailed history of the events involved in writing and publishing her book as well as the production of the movie. For instance, did you know that at one point on a cold, snowy night in New York while working as an airline ticket clerk, Harper Lee, in a bout of frustration, threw her entire manuscript out of the fifth floor window of the apartment where she was living, and then in a panic scurried down to rescue it? - can you imagine what one page of that manuscript would be worth today to a collector?; or, that her father had actually defended two Negros in a court case similar to the one in the book?; or, that she had given her father's pocket watch (which I believe was the one used in the movie) to Gregory Peck as a gift?

This is a totally engrossing, nonfiction book which I heartily endorse for all fans of Harper Lee and her masterpiece.
Hi DATo, I bought this book a while back on your recommendation and I am currently reading it. I am almost halfway through. So far, I am finding quite fascinating. I might have more to say when I have finished it. Thanks for the recommendation.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Redlegs - I will be interested in hearing your opinion when you have finished it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

Another case of my having read the book so long ago that the only tangible memories I have seem to be of the movie. That happens quite often to me these days to the point where I have already decided that in the new year I should make it a point to reread one classic at least every other month.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I first read "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" about 10 years ago. When I got my first Kindle about 5 years ago it was one of the first books I bought for it but somehow I never got around to re-reading it. Thanks to this thread I've just dug it out and put it on my Kindle again, ready to be read again, soon.

My memories of it now are pretty vague. I remember some things but I'm sure I'll have a lot of surprises.

Strangely I'd never heard of this book before. Someone gave me a copy, I think of the audiobook but I'm not sure, and I read it having no idea what to expect. It was quite an experience and what a surprise! I had no idea what I was getting into. I love surprises like this!

I like to think of myself as fairly literate. I've been an avid reader most of my 75 years and I read a lot about books as well as reading books, but somehow I'd missed hearing of this one. I live in the South and have since first grade so you'd think I'd have encountered it before.

Anyway thanks for this thread. Thanks for reminding me to read it.

Barry
DATo

Post by DATo »

Zoe333 mentioned in the What Are You Reading Right Now thread that she is currently reading this book which reminded me of this thread. I'm glad to learn that it is still proving to be of value to our forum members.

If you have the opportunity to find the movie staring Allen Arkin in the role of John Singer by all means pick it up. Arkin's portrayal of Singer was one of the most perfect actor/character portrayals I have ever seen.

From Internet Movie Database - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063050/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
(To avoid spoilers don't read the message boards)
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I just finished reading it, it was definitely a remarkable piece of writing! It's really hard to believe that McCullers wrote it when she was only 23! It contains an amount of knowledge that's rarely found in such a young mind. I love books that make you think hard to grasp the underlying meaning of words, and this book was one of them. Although I'm not sure I understood it the right way, but at least it made me think.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
DATo

Post by DATo »

Zoe303 wrote:I just finished reading it, it was definitely a remarkable piece of writing! It's really hard to believe that McCullers wrote it when she was only 23! It contains an amount of knowledge that's rarely found in such a young mind. I love books that make you think hard to grasp the underlying meaning of words, and this book was one of them. Although I'm not sure I understood it the right way, but at least it made me think.
I think you probably understood it in the manner McCullers wanted you to. The lessons of the book are fairly straightforward. The underlying theme is centered on both the need as well as the limitations of communication. Interestingly, this need is felt by all the characters and not just Singer who is a mute. Perhaps it is precisely because Singer is a mute that people are subconsciously willing to confide in him since they feel safe that he cannot tell their stories to anyone else. The story goes on to tell what happens when someone is unable to share the stories of their burdens with others.
― Steven Wright
victor lalremsiama

Post by victor lalremsiama »

Great
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

This book is an American masterpiece. I had heard of it before, however had never taken the time to read it. There was something haunting about the book. I know I will be thinking about it’s pages for a long time. The way it captured the solitary loneliness we all sometimes feel. The way we seek connection and often fail.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

I had a chance to read this book and wow! It's really unforgettable, and mysterious. Still want to have it.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Totally overrated IMHO. The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter is a creepy, long and boring story. Honestly, I can't consider it a classic.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

I was introduced to this book by a friend.
My specific words were, '' I want it to move me. ''
it did.

Return to “Classic Books”