The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brendinromney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendinromney.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Post by brendinromney »

I read this book when I was in 7th and although the language or violence might have been a little mature, I really thought that this book taught important lessons on deeper meanings, basic story lines (or how a story should flow), incorporating details in events, characters, ect., and character development. BUT, Im not sure if this is the best book for a fifth grader only because of the maturaty level it takes to understand and appreciate deeper meanings and connections, not because of laguage and violence. I think it would be a good thing for your son or daughter to read this book if he or she understands it, but I think it would be even better if she read it in a year or two.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I can certainly understand your concern. I read this book in 7th grade myself. I dont think it's too early to read this book, but maybe take a hands on role in discussing the book with your daughter. It does handle a lot of tough situations and life experiences. However, it could be a great way to open up conversation between the two of you. This is a book that quickly became one of my favorites! Even to this day.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

It's been a bit since I've read this book, but if I recall, S.E. Hinton does not actually use any curse words. If I recall, she simply says the characters cussed or Dallas would say something that would make another character blush. Overall, I believe I was surprised to find such little usage of any "inappropriate words," given how often it's been banned or challenged.
Even when there's Sandy's pregnancy, it is not stated outright, and often can go unnoticed until one reads the Sparknotes.
Overall, the writing is dated, and in terms of modern publishing, not the best, such as the countless uses of cliches and the paragraphs of characters' descriptions in the beginning, but the main message is an important one and it speaks to many readers. Most of the other people I know who have read the book do not even think of any language usage, but rather the connection they felt to the book and characters or the messages that everyone is going through something regardless of socioeconomic background, as well as the morals of identity and belonging.
My personal philosophy is if it is someting the child can or is experiencing, it's worth having them read it, if it interests them. I think the morals far out weigh any innappropriate language, if it's even used at all.
izzygarcia1206
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by izzygarcia1206 »

I read this book as a 8th grader in school, also watched the movie.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I need to read this book again! I love it and it has been way too long.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

I read this book while in elementary school and it was my first "adult" book. I was fascinated with the book and have read it at least once a year ever since. My biggest piece of advice is to read the book along with your daughter. Talk about it. Share your values and how this book either agrees or disagrees with them. There is nothing more important than letting your child become an independent reader, however, you should always be there to discuss the novels to ensure that she is emotionally capable of grasping the material.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I read this book when I was 13. I absolutely loved it, to the point where I could recite the entire first page from memory. Some of the situations are a little too convenient, but I heard the voice of Pony-boy as he narrated. It's the book that made me into a reader.
Addyweitzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addyweitzel.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Addyweitzel »

I read this book for the first time in 8th grade and loved it. I ended up buying the book and still read it all the time and it’s still my favorite book :D
Jemimah33

Post by Jemimah33 »

I read this book when I was 11 and also read it to my younger brother. We both loved it and it was the first book I remember making a real impression on me. I think because it was about young people in America, I became aware that it was a wide world out there and other young people's experiences were very different from my own. However, I understood many of the emotions and fears expressed by the characters so I started to recognise the shared experience of tragedy and love. (I can express this now- at the time I was just enthralled by it.)
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I was also forced to read the book at school and I did not particularly enjoy it.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I agree with you that a fifth-grade student should not read this book, as it is somewhat inappropriate.
Keira_

Post by Keira_ »

I read this book not too long ago and as well read the book. I loved everything about the book. It made me not want to put it down, one of the best books I’ve read.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Nickolas Farmakis wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 05:20 I was also forced to read the book at school and I did not particularly enjoy it.
I was also made to read this at school. I think by being 'forced' to read something it always ruins your perspective
Slabbe

Post by Slabbe »

I read the book and watched the movie at my school in 5th grade me personally didnt have a problem i felt more mature about it but i also grew up on horror movies so i would say its how the kid is brought up if there not use to offensive language then they might get uncomfortable but overall i enjoyed the book made me feel at home like i could connect with the caracters and situations. The rumble scene in the movie is classic as well...poneyboy
Trinitylu
Favorite Author: JA Templeton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
fav_author_id: 20801

Post by Trinitylu »

I was first introduced to the outsiders in like the 4th-6th grade. I’ve always remembered it but never the name. Around a year or two ago I found the movie again and then I had to real the book cause I couldn’t remember it. I absolutely adored it. Every last second even when I cried I loved the book. 10/10 would real many times and recommend.

Return to “Classic Books”