Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Storygamer88 »

Agreed, loved this book. The transformation of the pigs and their corruption is so subtle, yet believable, and the book really tugs at your heartstrings with characters like Boxer. And the fact that its all a clever alleghory for Russia's transformation is phenomenal.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I also really enjoyed this book, both for the interesting plot and for its political/social undertones. However, I cannot say I was thrilled with the movie. Something about the way they made the pigs just really creeped me out.
Redcraze
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Redcraze »

It's not just a good book, it's a great book. I'm interested in your comments about a movie version. I've never seen it but I remember hearing somewhere that it has a happy ending. Is that true? If so, it is a complete betrayal of the book.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I haven't read this one in a while. I've been thinking of reading it with my son who has it on his school reading list this year. I remember it being really relevant to our society and how us humans treat each other so badly sometimes.
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

Marc Dizzy52 wrote:This book was really powerful and really depict a human race.the fact that Napoleon could do such things to feel human.i still wonder what happened to snowball ,he wasn't killed..but this book certainly shows that power and not knowing your identity can get to your head certainly .but I enjoyed this book certainly .my teachers basically pounded this book into us.
The character of Snowball acted as a representation of Trotsky, who in real life was either ran out of the country by Stalin or straight up killed. If you watch the live action version it seems as if Snowball was ran off the farm, but in the older cartoon version you can hear the dogs attacking in the bushes. So he could have been killed, but we will never really know. It's up to interpretation.
amcanelly3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcanelly3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by amcanelly3 »

scriptbunny wrote:Cute parable for kids warning against the rise of populist-supported dictatorial regimes.
This is absolutely why I teach it and still, as an English teacher, use a lot of historical/political documents--to teach my students to think past the propoganda and really see what is happening.

-- 09 Jul 2017, 22:28 --
Redcraze wrote:It's not just a good book, it's a great book. I'm interested in your comments about a movie version. I've never seen it but I remember hearing somewhere that it has a happy ending. Is that true? If so, it is a complete betrayal of the book.
There is a live action and a cartoon and neither end happily, except perhaps for the pigs.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I haven't read this book for a long time now. I may need to revisit the story to see how is it still relevant today.
-rk
smart24
Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by smart24 »

this is my favorite during school day. I remembered the poem " beast of England
beast of island"
Myzee
Currently Reading: Entwined with You
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myzee.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Myzee »

I read animal farm a long time,probably when I was in the primary school. I truly enjoyed the book as it teaches a lot about power and how it can corrupt so easily, turning us into the worst version of ourselves.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
hlc85
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlc85.html
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by hlc85 »

Orwell is a master of allegory for this book. I think his use of animals to parody human behavior is ingenious and the replacement of humans to animals does not at all affect the emotions that this book elicits. i remember just how sad and disheartening this book was. I felt so badly for Boxer. I could reread this one 20 times.
Latest Review: "Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry" by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
myplatter
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by myplatter »

Quite fun-filled reading about animal organize like humans.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I started reading this book about eight years ago, and I liked it. However, I was never able to finish it and I'm not even sure why. But I can never forget the quote: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than the others." I use it all the time. It speaks volumes to me, even till now.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This book was one of my favorites out of those we read for school (as well as a favorite overall). It actually helped me understand politics in a way I had not been able before reading this book.
tiyo elvis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tiyo elvis »

Animal Farm my brain itch and tickling as to why others sacrifice their lives trying to do and offer the best of them only to be used again as a source of income when they become invalid due to their devotedness.
The issue of exile is shown to be the only way of survival. Self restrained is seen to be the best guarantee so as not to get (self) exterminated. So much to be contained just in one book with lov[*]e and deception juxtaposed with politics.
SpacePrinny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpacePrinny »

Animal Farm was one of the books I had to read in the 10th grade. I'd normally skip the reading part and try to fake my way through, but this one was different. From the first page onward I was hooked. I remember not being able to put it down and read it until it was finished. I loved the story, the pace at which it progressed, the development of deeper, more thought provoking situations through the perspectives of all of these animals that were a representation of different classes and kinds of people. What really caught me was how short it was. All meat, no filler. No superfluous characters or padding. Purposeful and direct. I've read (or attempted to read) other books by authors that thought length was synonymous with quality. George Orwell really knew how to streamline things and that was heavily appreciated.

Return to “Classic Books”