Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanou Heilen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanou-heilen.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Kanou Heilen »

[Spoiler Alert]

Personally, as good (in a very disturbing, politically horrific way) as the last scene was, the themes presented earlier in the book felt much more... shocking, on the lack of a better word, because we have a very slow development between the (relatively) hopeful beginning and the absolute cynicism of the ending. You start with an equal view on all the “good guys”, wanting the best possible outcome from the Revolution, and them, slowly, the shades of black and white start to confuse themselves, and what comes from this, until the very climax... Brillant. One of George Orwell’s greatest works regarding politics.
Res Alexis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Res Alexis »

I read this book while in high school.This was when I was in senior one.The writer thoroughly put into writing human brutal towards fellow creatures. He also demonstrated that as animals co-exist with human, they learn to love their lavish life.The writer even though he used animals, he relayed that characteristics like selfishness, betrayal, disappointment,happiness et cetera can be found anywhere as an individual exists as a mortal being.A classic display of how servants take over their master's property and then fight each other for top positions in leadership.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Absolutely loved the book.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I found this book interesting and thought provoking. Its certainly and interesting take on how people grow to power. I liked the idea presented that if you're not careful, you can become exactly what you hate. Important life lessons in this one.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I read this book when I was about 10 years old. (I was a mature reader) Then I picked it up again when I was in college. It is funny how the whole concept and meaning of a book can change after you get some experience in life. Now that I am 61 years old, I really should reread it to see what it means to me now! :tiphat:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Eanderson531
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eanderson531.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Eanderson531 »

I happened to come across this book when I was a freshman in high school. At the time I appreciated the book for the writing and only understood some of the politics ignored the books. I now reread it and while I'm not a person that loves political books, I definitely appreciate the, erm, blatant subtlety of the political nature of the book much more.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I listened to Animal Farm on an audiobook, and I would definitely recommend reading it that way. It gives the characters more life and makes the story flow well.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

This was the first book that I read for literature. I already knew the story after watching a cartoon so reading it was a treat. However, it was difficult to understand that it was not just a mere story.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I have read the Swahili translation of Animal Farm dabbed "Shamba la Wanyama" :D . It was a course book in literature in high school. This post brings fond memories.
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I read Animak Farm when I was in high school, it was one of the best books I ever read at school because of its relevance and how you can relate it to the world of today. Everything that happened within the book just made you realise it can be related to the world we live in today
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

This is a classic and should be required at every high school. The plot is great and easily applied to not only the Russian Revolution, but to totalitarian governments as a whole. Amazing book.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I loved Animal Farm! It's an amazing metaphor for what's happening to society, but I also love the depictions of animals and the fun interpretations that George Orwell presented!
Etiquette1
Currently Reading: Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft Books)
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etiquette1.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Etiquette1 »

I remember reading this book in high school and being completely shocked by it. Even after all this time I think it is relevant to the here and now. So many themes contained in this book are still occurring in our world. I can definitely see why we were instructed to read it when I was in high school. That was in 2008 for me and I think even now it contains information for us as a people living in the tumultuous times of 2019.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

It is a book I often reffer to when talking about politics and the way we view our society. It is also a very fun lecture, so I like to recommend it to people looking for a new book.
Valeria_gr4
Currently Reading: How to live on 24 Hours a Day
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-gr4.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody

Post by Valeria_gr4 »

This book is inspiring, (so is the author) it is books like this that we need more, easy to digest and clear enough for any adult to understand, you don't even have to know about politics, its message is so direct and devastating. It is a loud waking call and also a summary of human's tremendous mistakes when it comes to establishing a society from both sides: the governors and the governed. To me, it is a masterpiece indeed.

Return to “Classic Books”