Animal Farm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Animal Farm

Post by Siriusly_blank »

HanElizabeth397 wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 09:38
yapashley wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 04:24 I read this book when I was 13 years old for a book report. Back then, I couldn't understand the underlying message about politics. I did understand how the animals were fighting over things that were important to their lives.

I read it for school when I was younger too & a lot of it went over my head. I need to reread it for this reason!!

It was my 11th birthday when my mum gifted this book to me. I hardly remember the details 😅but I surely remember that recieving this book , back then , felt like " I am the happiest child alive " .
My 11 year old self would strongly recommend this book to every person reading this post 😂 .
Am gonna re read it soon...
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Post by Imperio »

Animal Farm is such a relevant book, and I honestly think it will be politically relevant for a long time to come. I was assigned this reading book when I was in school a long time ago, and I think every young adult needs to read this book. It certainly gives you something deeper to think about than the video games and movies young adults busy themselves with these days.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

I read this book first when I was in grade 5. At that point it was just a book about animals. My class even ended up singing Beasts of England at speech and prize giving day. Now that I'm older I see this book in everyday life, EVERYWHERE! What are your thoughts?
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

A political classic, just like 1984. The lesson about power applies regardless of what economic system we are under. Love the image of pigs cackling near the end.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

It's a word for children or adults. I read this to my daughters when they were too young to understand the political aspects and they giggled at things like the word "trotter" used to depict the pigs feet/hands. I love horses so I was always hoping that nothing bad happens to the horses or wanted them to somehow rise above the whole temptation of being scapegoated as the ruler. Apt, of course, that the leaders are pigs. Wasn't this supposed to be references to Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin? It was so long ago that I read it.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
mpsmaster
Favorite Book: Think and grow rich
Currently Reading: As a Man Thinketh
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpsmaster.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by mpsmaster »

To me, Boxer is a life lesson. He answer to any problem is: I will work harder. What can be great when you are doing intelligent things, or destructive like in his case.
“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I might be misquoting Steinbeck, but I believe he defined a classic once as a piece that is always relevant. Animal Farm practically has to be relevant if one considers how many different things organize their structures according to some sort of an hierarchy - whether it's intelligence, strength, agility, will, leadership qualities, etc. It seems impossible to get away from. In the case of Animal Farm, the issue arose, if I remember correctly, because the new leaders weren't really all that good at it, nor were they possibly well-suited for it. Maybe they just did not care? It would be interesting to design a government not based on some sort of an hierarchy.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Parn442
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Parn442 »

I still remember just picking it up for fun after seeing the animal characters and then getting blown away by how hopeless their condition in the farm was. I think we fail to recognize that something very similar happens with humans. It was almost scary how simple yet how effective the story and the plot itself was. Totalitarianism shows how powerless commoners can be in their lives and how the top 10 percent is actually ruling the world and has all the power.
Mohd zaid
Currently Reading:

Post by Mohd zaid »

Book is very interested like I also like this topic and animal friendly the way he represent the animal behavior is relatable to real life I wish if animals can talk we know her fellings and respect them.
Ciarli

Post by Ciarli »

although Orwell is completely wrong because it is the animal inside and not humanity that builds a lion farm or Autschwitz, he depicts beautifully the relations and conflict of Big Wise Pig and Napoleon heir of pig virtues!
LauraLambton
Currently Reading: Small Island
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauralambton.html
Latest Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by LauraLambton »

I had put off reading this book for years as I very wrongly believed it would be a chore to do so. I regret leaving it so long! Despite it's age, the ideas are timeless. A lesson was learnt in giving myself the opportunity to make up my own mind!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I read the book for literature but didn't do much with it when it was removed from the syllabus. I found it hard to believe it was a lesson in politics because I had watched the cartoon and enjoyed it.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I read this in high school and understood it but not on the level that Orwell intended to, it was more on a local level for me. However, I re-read this as an adult, and wow, so relevant and so many implications for today's society and politics.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

I also found 'Animal Farm' to be a delightful little read. Don't really find any other books like it.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

This is a book I remember liking in school and understood the political undertones but I should reread it now, in my 30’s, and really enjoy it.

Return to “Classic Books”