Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
salberson 10
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Re: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by salberson 10 »

My favorite Dickens novel - Miss Haversham one of my favorite characters--- but I only like the orginal ending.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

This is one of my favorite Dickens novels. It has his usual variety of characters, who he induces you to know well and affectionately. As usual, a strong and interesting plot in this work. And Joe Gargery is one of my favorite characters in literature, a beacon of honesty, plain feeling, and strength.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I read an abridged version in ninth grade English, and while I am not a Dickens fan, it is a valuable read and a good introduction to English literature of his era. I enjoyed the indirect characterization when Dickens describes various characters houses, and he definitely has a way of crafting sentences (especially long ones, but of course they are grammatically perfect). I remember being a bit frustrated that after the first four or five characters you meet, they are all actually the same people who keep coming back, although I now find this more humorous than aggravating. The story is where I mainly took issue. It was pretty bad, to be frank. Pip's story never made me feel anything for him (other than mild annoyance) and it was never compelling. I didn't care about reading what happened next. It's a good novel but not a good story. (I much prefer books like 1984 and To Kill a Mockingbird because of this.)
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by amen jamir »

I absolutely love this novel. I remember my English teacher narrating this story to us at highschool though it wasn't in our course. I read up the book in the later years..n yep I agree Pip's character is fully developed.
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
adulargy+

Post by adulargy+ »

SydKS37 wrote:I read this awhile ago, and thought it was absolutely amazing. Pip's transformation from the beginning of the book to the end are so interesting, and when the tale comes to a close, and all the twists are revealed. I would recommend this book to anyone, it's definitely a wonderful read.

I agree that Dickens did a great job in revealing the changes in Pip as he matures.The plot is gripping and the descriptions amazing.Even though it is a while since I read this book I can still visualise the graveyard and the old house as the descriptions are so brilliant.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I also had to read it for my English class in highschool. I was so interested in it, I think everyone in my class was so enthralled by the book we all couldn't stop talking about it.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
bovaird50A

Post by bovaird50A »

This is by far my favourite of Dickens. The scenes with Miss Haversham still haunt me. I teach this to my very low ability year 7's and it captures them immediately. Sign of a good story when it holds the attention of dysfunctional children.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I know I'm in the minority here, but Dickens has been one of my least favorite authors. I read Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, and A Christmas Carol. I thought his writing was clunky and his descriptions were labored. I didn't really even find the stories that interesting. I must admit that I liked the Disney movie Mickey's Christmas Carol when I was little, though. And, I liked the musical Oliver!, so maybe I was distracted from the story lines while reading because of my distaste for the writing. Now, I'm left to ponder this: should I spend time reading another Dickens novel to try to see what everyone else sees and to see if maybe my tastes have changed over the years, or should I just move on?
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

I have a copy of this book and have unlike most of the books in my classic illustrations collection have only read it twice. (I got the series when I was 10.) I didn't enjoy this book barely at all. It seemed like just another book where someone messes up and becomes pompous. I usually like Charles Dickens, but not this work.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I don't dislike any of Dickens' novels, but GE isn't my favorite. I find the stories and characters in others of his novels more interesting, compelling, and better developed.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Great Expectations is my favourite of his novels. I think Miss Havisham is incredibly interesting and she plays an incredibly important role in Dickens' exploration of women's position in society in the Victorian period. And Pip is the snob we've all known at some point. There's plenty to relate to in the novel :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
LSWS07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I bought a copy of this book 3 years ago and I still haven't gotten to it... But I will! Just before I finally start War and Peace...
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I still have not read this even though I know that it is one of the ultimate classics. One day I will, I promise.
It's just that I need to be in the right mood to absorb it in all its essence.

Right now it's just sitting on the shelf waiting for me.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Wind Wise
Favorite Author: Gaston Leroux
Favorite Book: Phantom of the Opera
Currently Reading: Red Transplanted Tales by Kate Serine
fav_author_id: 2894

Post by Wind Wise »

I read this first in JH and loved it. (Amazing how the books I read for the first time in school shaped my view on them for life, I either loved them or hated them.) Yes, the story is a little depressing, but it has a happy ending for Pip.
I love to read!

My top 3 fave books:
1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
2. Phantom- Susan Kay
3. Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

I need to record her voice babbling so I can listen to it when she's not around- Wintergirls
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I read this a few years ago now and enjoyed just a little less than David Copperfield. It was a cleverly plotted story and full of great characters and somewhat unsettling scenes.

It has translated well to the screen, except for a modernized American version someone lent me on DVD that was absolutely awful!
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “Classic Books”