Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Re: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Post by zainherb »

Sveta wrote: 31 Aug 2013, 01:04 I couldn't get past the middle of the book :(
Hahaha. I feel your pain. The book is alright, but at the time I read it, it took me months to finish it, and that is because I am dogged when it comes to books or I probably wouldn't have finished it either.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

When I read the book, I really liked it. But when it was turned into a movie here in Bollywood, I adore it even more especially because of the soundtrack. Books can't add music to themselves. Now, whenever I read anything about Great Expectations I immediately start humming the songs. If you are interested the title of the movie is 'Fitoor'.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

I was thoroughly impressed by Charles Dickens' imagery of London in the old times. I really sympathized with Pip and Poor Old Joe as they had to bear being raised by the firm hand of Mrs Joe. Pip's transformation from poor little orphan boy into a fine gentleman was amazing to read.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens represents the world as a reality. Pip the main character grows chronologically from childhood to adulthood which brings out the real world. His world is extended and changes how he treats the character's he comes in contact with. He meets a convict and feeds him portraying his kindness but Ms Havisham manipulates Pip representing how the upper class oppress the lower class. This awakens Pip and he realizes he needs to be a gentleman. I can read it again and again.
Soumini Banerjee
Currently Reading: Untold Night and Day
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Soumini Banerjee »

Some call it the English Picaresque Novel, some call it Dickens Masterpiece. My reading of the Victorian story has me thinking along the lines of nothing less than a journal of what England was, in 1890, and what it is today. Realist novels like these, accounting for an individual's life says so much about the society the author reflects in his fictional setting. Through Pip, Mrs Havisham, and Eugene, we got to see a world that Dickens thought was cruel and undeserving. I loved the mastery of language and dialogue that helped deliver this thought.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I read this book for my bachelor's degree and even prepared a research paper on it. On one hand, I believe the message it was attempting to convey was absolutely lovely since we can all relate to it. Furthermore, I enjoyed each character's journey, which was both magnificent and tragic. I must say that Dickens never disappoints, and Bleak House is my second favourite of his novels.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by beckybrandon »

I'll be honest. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is not an easy read. But once you get through it you'll see what an amazing and touching story it is. I feel really sad for the character Miss Havisham for what happened to her in past and bad that she wants to take her twisted revenge on innocent characters in love.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

The ending where Pip says, "This is my heart and its broken" breaks my heart as well. An amazing book
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

I read it long back. A great work by Dickens. Phenomenal rise of Pip from a modest background to affluence is a great tale.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Noblefausty101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noblefausty101.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Noblefausty101 »

Such a lovely book. Charles Dickens is a great man.

Return to “Classic Books”