"Papillon" by Henri Charrière

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RobP
Bookshelf Size: 0

"Papillon" by Henri Charrière

Post by RobP »

Hi there. I've recently read this book and found it to be one of the most uplifting stories ever told! The more so considering it's supposedly a real account (opinions on its veracity vary), all about the strenght and endurance of the human spirit in the face of adversity. Yet I can't seem to find many who have read it. Perhaps it got overshadowed by the film version with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman (if so, unjustly, as its scope was vastly reduced).
Has anyone read it and enjoyed it as I did?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I can't actually remember reading it but I can still see the book cover .... it had a beautiful engraving of a butterfly on it (that's when I learned that papillon is the French for butterfly).
I do remember the movie though, loved it but then Steve McQueen !!!!!!!!!!!!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
dindindin

Post by dindindin »

As for Papillon, a good read and an excellent movie. Although some of Mr. Charriere's exploits seem to "have gotten
better in the telling"(he claims to have had trysts with one of The Wardens wive's), you can't gainsay his incredible
spirit. Some of the things he does to survive his inhumane treatment are truly remarkable. I give the book 4/5 and
the movie 5/5.

-- 12 Jul 2012, 08:27 --
Fran wrote:I can't actually remember reading it but I can still see the book cover .... it had a beautiful engraving of a butterfly on it (that's when I learned that papillon is the French for butterfly).
@Fran. Steve McQueen? Wow. You were alive during the Silent Film Era? I heard he was one of only a few to make
the transition from Silent to Talkies. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

-- 12 Jul 2012, 08:32 --
dindindin wrote:As for Papillon, a good read and an excellent movie. Although some of Mr. Charriere's exploits seem to "have gotten
better in the telling"(he claims to have had trysts with one of The Wardens wive's), you can't gainsay his incredible
spirit. Some of the things he does to survive his inhumane treatment are truly remarkable. I give the book 4/5 and
the movie 5/5.

-- 12 Jul 2012, 08:27 --
Fran wrote:I can't actually remember reading it but I can still see the book cover .... it had a beautiful engraving of a butterfly on it (that's when I learned that papillon is the French for butterfly).
@Fran. Steve McQueen? Wow. You were alive during the Silent Film Era? I heard he was one of only a few to make
the transition from Silent to Talkies. WOW!!!!!!!!!!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@din

Oh you are back all right :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bernie Spain
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Bernie Spain »

I read this book may years ago but it has always stayed with me as an example of what the human spirit can withstand against all odds. The movie didn't capture that and became just another escape story vehicle for McQueen who did that sort of thing very well. Banco, the follow up book by Monsieur Charriere, dealt with his later, much more sedate, life. It was therefore not as interesting.
Stardust0262
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Daughters of Mars
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stardust0262.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Stardust0262 »

Hi Rob P, Yes I have read Papillon, admittedly a few years back. Enjoyed it immensely and like yourself finished the book marvelling at just how strong the human spirit can be. It left me thinking that while we may complain and grizzle about the life problems we encounter in day to day life there have been folk who have truly endured hell on earth.
But having also seem the movie, it was difficult to not see Steve McQueen as the main character. :)
Bernie Spain

Post by Bernie Spain »

What else have you read lately?
Stardust0262

Post by Stardust0262 »

My most recent read was Cloudstreet by Tim Winton. A truly great read. Are you familiar with it?
Bernie Spain

Post by Bernie Spain »

I am. I must admit I haven't read it. I find Tim Winton very hard to read, can't really put my finger on why. Not as hard as Patrick White and certainly not as hard as James Joyce (who I find impossible). I've just finished The Cobra by Frederick Forsythe, an adventure type story probably more suited to males and I've recently re-read Gone With The Wind, an absolute classic. I started Romanitas which is based on the premise that the Roman Empire never crumbled and that we're all still living as Roman citizens. Interesting concept but the narrative soon ran out of pace and I lost interest. Still thinking about what to tackle next.
Stardust0262

Post by Stardust0262 »

Cloudstreet was my first Tim Winton book. I really enjoyed the rough edge/ramshackle descriptions of his characters and their environment. The setting of immediate post WW2 and the descriptions of Sam at the horse races reminded me some of my paternal grandfather-maybe I felt a familiarity with some of the characterisations.
Joyce - also a no go for me. Tried Ulysess probably 3 times over the years, never made much headway.
Bernie Spain

Post by Bernie Spain »

Where are you based? Australia?
Stardust0262

Post by Stardust0262 »

Hi Bernie, yes I'm in South Australia.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I read Papillon a long time ago. As I remember, I liked it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Bernie Spain

Post by Bernie Spain »

I'm in Perth. Are you a writer as well as a reader?
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Yep, "Papillon" is certainly a rip-roaring read and I can remember cringing over the graphic bits. Charrière was a bit
of a storyteller and was challenged over its accuracy. Apparently not all the events were true because the things he describes don't match up with the actual timeframe of events. It's more likely a compilation of stories from several of Charrière's jail companions, chiefly Charles Brunier. Fiction or not, it's still a great book.

(PS: Nice to have some Aussie readers onboard)
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell

Return to “Classic Books”