Gone With the Wind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love Gone with the Wind. I couldn't put it down once I started. I really liked Margaret Mitchell's writing style.
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Beryl shinah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beryl shinah »

The characters were too different as the charactors in sequel,the book yourself is perfect but I think there's something meeting missing
ziauljc

Post by ziauljc »

I loved gone with the wind. Such a well arranged the whole story by the author. Classical and interesting.I liked it.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I saw the film before reading the bpok, but went back and enjoyed the book so much, so much detail went into scarlett's life. It was so enjoyable and I felt more for her than in the film.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Was this the book where the heroine made a dress out of curtain or something? :) Sorry. I've heard the reference all the time when I watch fashion shows. People are always going, "That's so Gone With the Wind." I haven't had the opportunity to read this yet, but it seemed like there are a lot of pop culture references/inspirations from the book.
TheGhastlyGrimoire
Currently Reading: And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Bookshelf Size: 663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theghastlygrimoire.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TheGhastlyGrimoire »

I actually read this because I couldn’t figure out why my step-mother kept sarcastically calling me Scarlet O’Hara. Turns out, she thought I was overly dramatic. Anyways, I read it in 7th grade and loved it. (My teacher was proud of me, too.)
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I looooove this book. I watched the movie for the first time when I was really young with my great-aunt, and she told me how she and her sisters saw it when it was actually released in the theater. They had no idea it was such a long film so were extremely late getting home and were running through the streets to get home before their father- my great-grandfather- caught them out without a chaperone :lol:

I watch the movie just about every year when it's on. When I finally read the book, I was surprised how different it was and how much more there is to Scarlett's life. Truly one of the great protagonists.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Rhett Butler is one of my favorite characters. I loved the chemistry between the two. The tragedy still lingers and maked me hope things were different between them.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I really enjoyed gone with the wind. I wasn’t expecting it to have such a fiery, determined, admirable and sometimes despicable heroine. I loved her grit and determination, but at the same time, I loved the gentle and kind Melanie who had equal strength of character. As well as following the ups and downs of Scarlett’s life, the book also ave me an insight into the American Civil War which I didn’t get at school. We were taught it from the position of the North, rather than that of the South.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Dashkova

Post by Dashkova »

Speaking of Rhett, there was always a scene in the book that confused me: In the part of the book where Rhett is concerned with mending his and Scarlett's reputations for the sake of Bonnie's future there's a point where Scarlett is mocking him for wanting to do so----and Rhett chastises her for how she basically systematically ruined her reputation and lost the respect of their society in the past. That always confused the hell out of me because throughout the beginning of the book Scarlett was always worried about her reputation and with what other people thought of her and it was Rhett who was always harping on her and influencing her to give that all up and to act freely no matter what people thought and to basically f*ck society.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Dashkova wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 17:08 Speaking of Rhett, there was always a scene in the book that confused me: In the part of the book where Rhett is concerned with mending his and Scarlett's reputations for the sake of Bonnie's future there's a point where Scarlett is mocking him for wanting to do so----and Rhett chastises her for how she basically systematically ruined her reputation and lost the respect of their society in the past. That always confused the hell out of me because throughout the beginning of the book Scarlett was always worried about her reputation and with what other people thought of her and it was Rhett who was always harping on her and influencing her to give that all up and to act freely no matter what people thought and to basically f**k society.
As I recall, the war changed Rhett, he gave up being a mercenary and fought for his country. Also, he wanted the best for Bonnie and that required him to try to mend the reputation of his family.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Dashkova

Post by Dashkova »

Helen_Combe wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 17:14As I recall, the war changed Rhett, he gave up being a mercenary and fought for his country. Also, he wanted the best for Bonnie and that required him to try to mend the reputation of his family.
I'm aware of that, but it doesn't explain his hypocrisy.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

inaramid wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 11:45 Was this the book where the heroine made a dress out of curtain or something? :) Sorry. I've heard the reference all the time when I watch fashion shows. People are always going, "That's so Gone With the Wind." I haven't had the opportunity to read this yet, but it seemed like there are a lot of pop culture references/inspirations from the book.
Yes, there was a dress made out of curtains. It was because Scarlett did not have a good quality dress at the time because they were so poor after the war and in order to hide how badly they were doing they used curtains to make a new dress as that was the only source of fabric left.
I really loved Gone with the Wind. I actually read it when I was 11. I'm surprised my mom let me, given that there was a fair amount in it I wouldn't understand for a couple more years when I knew more about life and relationships.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I totally agree with you. Goen with the Wind is one of my all-time favorites. I have a huge crush on Rhett Butler. I loved Margaret Mitchell's narration.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

Love, Love, and more Love this novel. I am a former history teacher so anything historical excites me! The Civil War is my favorite time period to study as well. I remember the first time I read this novel I felt so much emotion for Scarlett. The way she handles her situation was inspiring. There is nothing like a woman who will tear up the green velvet drapes to have a new dress.

Return to “Classic Books”