black tulip by Alexander Dumas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diabal
Bookshelf Size: 0

black tulip by Alexander Dumas

Post by diabal »

Black tulip by Alexander Dumas is not the most famous book of this author. It is based 30 year after the tulip mania of 1637 that took place in Holland.

the novel starts by giving a detailed account (about 4 chapter) of the political and social factors happening in Holland during that period. although this that be a little bit dragging it is necessarily to understand the real story.

Hear we meet with the main character Cornelius van Baerle which is a tulip fancier, he has succeeded in to cultivate the black tulip bold fro which the Horticultural society will give a prize in momentary of those to succeeded in producing it, but thought unfortunate events, he will not be able to nurseries it himself. This role will be left in the hands of Rosa the jailer daughter.

The theme treated in this book is very different from the other books of Alexander Dumas. It was very interesting to read about a country history which I didn't knew much about.
duanealegata

Post by duanealegata »

It's very interesting and exciting to read this book
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I read this book years ago and all I could remember was the title and that there was a prize for the Tulip. I think I might have read an abridged version but it is a good story. Thanks for the review and the reminder. Now I know the author.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I read this book as a young boy, it made me love reading classicals
Micah02

Post by Micah02 »

I enjoyed this book primarily, I think, because of the author. He is a great story teller and I had recently read "The Black Count", a book about his father and I was really in the mood to read something by him at this time. I liked it.

Dumas is just brilliant (as always) and his dialogue (as always) is among the finest I've ever come across. A very quick, albeit enjoyable, read. Highly recommended.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I have read this book long ago, so only few glimpses are still in my memory. But I remember that I was really affected by it and I loved it. I would like to reread it.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I can't remember everything about this book is been a long time since I've read it. I would read again
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

There are books that will make you love reading classics and I must say this book is one of them. I recommend this book to anyone
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

I read this book years ago and all I could remember was the title and that there was a prize for the Tulip. I think I might have read an abridged version but it is a good story. Thanks for the review and the reminder. Now I know the author.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Silvia Sianto »

He is a great story teller and I had recently read "The Black Count", a book about his father and I was really in the mood to read something by him at this time. I liked it.

Dumas is just brilliant (as always) and his dialogue (as always) is among the finest I've ever come across. A very quick, albeit enjoyable, read. Highly recommended.

Return to “Classic Books”