I am the Clay by Chaim Potok

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4227

I am the Clay by Chaim Potok

Post by primrose777 »

Chaim Potok is one of my favourite authors, this book is very different from those I have read so far.
Set in the Korean war, as the Chinese and the soilders of the North sweep South, an old man and his wife flee their village. Heading South with the other countless refugees they come upon a boy seriously wounded in a ditch. Compassion and a longing for a child lost a lifetime ago compels the women to save the boy and nurse him back to health. The old man however, filled with bitterness of a hard and childless life does not share the same convictions and tells the women to leave the boy. Stubborness sets into the old women, shocking her husband, and there begins their journey running for their lives and from their past.
This is a story told from the perspective of simple villagers, farmers of the rice padi. Flung into a conflict they barely understand,steeped in superstition and a commitment to their religion and worship of ancestors, they endevour to survive the hard journey ahead of them.
I found this a dark book full of suffering but also strength, resiliance, compassion and love. Traits which are often brought out in the most adverse of circumstances and gives faith in human nature.
Difficult to read at times, but perservere.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

primrose777 wrote:Chaim Potok is one of my favourite authors, this book is very different from those I have read so far.
Set in the Korean war, as the Chinese and the soilders of the North sweep South, an old man and his wife flee their village. Heading South with the other countless refugees they come upon a boy seriously wounded in a ditch. Compassion and a longing for a child lost a lifetime ago compels the women to save the boy and nurse him back to health. The old man however, filled with bitterness of a hard and childless life does not share the same convictions and tells the women to leave the boy. Stubborness sets into the old women, shocking her husband, and there begins their journey running for their lives and from their past.
This is a story told from the perspective of simple villagers, farmers of the rice padi. Flung into a conflict they barely understand,steeped in superstition and a commitment to their religion and worship of ancestors, they endevour to survive the hard journey ahead of them.
I found this a dark book full of suffering but also strength, resiliance, compassion and love. Traits which are often brought out in the most adverse of circumstances and gives faith in human nature.
Difficult to read at times, but perservere.
Your review has hooked me. I have added this book to my list. I will look for it at the library and give you my take on it after I've read it. Thanks for the review and recommendation.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Some time ago, I read "The Book Of Lights" by Chaim Potok about cultural confrontation, Jewish theological discussion and how character Gershon Loran sees hope in the study of Kabbalah. Interesting now that movie stars are turning to the mysticism of Kabbalah. I felt it wasn't an easy book to read.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

I agree Chaim Potok can be difficult to read. I have an interest in the Jewish culture ( even though I am of Irish roots), so I find his writing interesting and an opportunity presents to delve into another way of life steeped in traditions I really dont understand. I read the Chosen ( His first book) and loved it. I found the story of 2 boys from opposite ends of the Jewish spectrum growing up in Brooklyn USA post War very engaging. Did not enjoy the sequel as much ( The Promise), but touching on Mental Health issues can be challenging. The absolute devotion, passion and singlemindedness of studying the Talmud intrigues me I have to say. His books I admitt are not for everyone but it is one of my goals to work my way through all of them. :)
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
Kimmy 1

Post by Kimmy 1 »

Hi primrose. I am a very newest of newbies here. I also love the book The Chosen. Also, The Promise as well as My Name Is Asher Lev and The Gift Of Asher Lev. I am, also, one who is not Jewish and have always found the devotion to their faith and determinedness (is that a word) to stand behind it compelling and strengthening. Several years ago I was fortunate enough to find a email address for Mr. Potok and wrote him a letter explaining my appreciation for his works. Also, with some trepidation, I explained to him that though I was not Jewish and was raised Catholic, I credit the lessons learned from his books with causing a part in my whole souled devotion to my faith, which is being one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's not easy to be different. He was very gracious and wrote back with kind words. I treasure that. Wonderful books and characters. So much heart.

Return to “Classic Books”