Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by siusantos »

I've read this one when I was in high school, just for fun. I struggled with the dialogue at first because I was not accustomed to the style, and because I was young them with limited knowledge. But as I grew older and think back, I can say I liked the book, and the story. And I would recommend this to those who dare read old words.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Nice to see this thread continuing since 2011! This proves how popular Pride and Prejudice still is during this contemporary time. The story and characters are well drawn, with Austen using them as good vehicles of criticism toward her society. I think a lot of girls can learn something from Elizabeth's strong independence.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The best Jane Austen's book and my favorite classic. Not only the book but its movie adaptation is also great.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I really hope you enjoyed reading this classic!!! It's easily my favourite classic, you're in for a treat
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I started reading Pride and Prejudice yesterday and I fell in love with it on the very first page. At first I was a little hesitant as I thought the way it was written would be hard for me to understand, but I shouldn't have worried. I haven't even made it past half the book and I already know it's going to be one of my favourite books!
SarahTheReader
Currently Reading: Mansfield Park
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahthereader.html

Post by SarahTheReader »

Every time I pick up Pride and Prejudice I gain a little more insight into the characters and events. It can be difficult to read older English as metaphors tend to be a huge literary tool used in the early 1800s. But it's also the very thing that makes reading novels from this time period so intriguing as well. It just goes to show the changes in how society expresses their thoughts and feelings have evolved over time and how much we haven't really changed as a society too. Like in Pride and Prejudice, we are still focused on society's perception of us and our actions (maybe more so now than ever with the advancement of technology), and yes, now women can own their own property while not be considered the legal property of men but women are still fighting the mould of marriage as their endgame and still battling to have equitable opportunities as their male counterparts.
Princessofsnow12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Princessofsnow12 »

I read this book a couple of days ago and I couldn’t put it down it was so interesting and it catches my attention
Claudiarbol
Currently Reading: Colección integral de Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Claudiarbol »

I'm a big fan of P&P, I have read it a few time now, that is how much I love it, and recently I discovered a YouTube series from 2012 called "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries", has someone watch it?

I think it is really good, as an adaptation it is not 100% accurate, specially because it brings an 1800s book to a 2000s vlog style, but I have had so much fun watching that I really don't mind it's not too accurate.
violettears
Currently Reading: Alice in zombielans
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by violettears »

I have heard of this book and never got around to read it but it soubed cool.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Am also currently reading this book. It is full of comedy am looking forward to what happens next.
Julia Jackson 2
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Julia Jackson 2 »

I have yet to read this book, but it is on my "to read" list. As out there as it is (to some people), I like the spin-off book. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith takes the original and adds a gory touch to it.
Marife Solito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Marife Solito »

I have only watched the series and the movie and I love it most ardently. This is one of the best romantic novel of all time and I wish I could also write a book with a great and complex plot!
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

This book is my all-time favourite. I have re-read it multiple times and always keep the book and the movie handy on all my devices so that I can watch or read it anytime I feel like it.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

My most favourite part is when Mr Darcy confronts Lizzy in the rain and tells and afterwards writes a letter to her which changes her perspective towards him altogether.
Ahh.. I feel like watching this movie now.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

Ok!! So, this website used to allow users to add pictures in text. To the point, I loved reading “Pride and Prejudice.” My favorite characters were parents of Elizabeth. I loved other things in the story too. Maybe re-read this novel again.

Return to “Classic Books”