Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by Only1Cola »

Reading and re-reading Pride and Prejudice, as well as Jane Austen’s other novels, is a full time hobby of mine. I love them so much that I have collected them all. What is most fascinating about her writing is how she captures human nature and characteristics which have not changed over time. The dilemmas she writes about are resonant in many situations that we all face in our lives. Jane was a keen observer of people and a genius in capturing their essence.
Moushmi Radhanpara
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moushmi-radhanpara.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moushmi Radhanpara »

This has always been one of my favourites, indulging me and gripping me with its humour, class and societal norms and the ever constant problems of a love affair.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

All the best with the novel.

In my honest opinion some classics just have the kind of language that requires you to have a dictionary close by when you read them so you can understand the message.

I have read the book but the first time i read it i didn't understand it. So i went in a second time and then it got a bit better.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

It's one of those books I can go back to reading it over and over again, Elizabeth is one of my all-time-favorite female protagonists in literature.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The dialogue is where this novel shines, which is good since the novel is mostly dialogue. Austen is able to convey the personality of a character simply through the way the character speaks, so that even though there are not a lot of descriptions of the characters, you have a clear idea of who each character is almost as soon as they open their mouth. Perhaps one of my favorite aspects of the writing style is the sandpaper-dry wit of Austen, which, when you understand it, can be very, very funny. A must-read classic.
coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Post by coffeeteal »

oogies wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 09:03 Now I want to read this book again! When I read Jane Austen it is easy for me to fantasize about being part of that era. When you stop to think about the implications of that you realize just how much a woman with today's standards will stand out in the society back then.

Society really has changed a lot in some aspects when you compare.
So true! I love the imaginary world I land into while reading the classics and us millennials really can't be compared to them.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I have never been able to read it. I did start but failed to complete it. I think that it was one of the books that I borrowed from the library as a chore when I couldn't find something like Hardy boys. I got to watch the movie years later and realized that it was a good book.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Magnify3 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 11:22 I have never been able to read it. I did start but failed to complete it. I think that it was one of the books that I borrowed from the library as a chore when I couldn't find something like Hardy boys. I got to watch the movie years later and realized that it was a good book.
To be fair, Austen in general can be hard to get into. It took me three tries to read more than the beginning of Emma, for instance.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ardentreader_19
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: The misery
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentreader-19.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ardentreader_19 »

Jane Austen's ''Pride and Prejudice'' is the kind of book whose beauty is revealed only during the second reading. I was forced to learn the first five chapters as a part of my curriculum. I knew it was a classic and I was curious as to why it was popular, so I immediately downloaded and read it. Watching the movie after reading the book is even more amazing.
Annony11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Annony11 »

It took me three tries to get through Pride and Prejudice and enjoy it. I tried in 5th grade, had to read for school in 8th and gave up on it for more than a decade. I enjoyed film versions but couldn’t get into the book. Eventually, I came across the vlog, “The secret diaries of Lizzie Bennet,” which is a masterful modern retelling. Through that, I reread and finally enjoyed and appreciated the original book.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I loved reading this book in high school! I read it once before that, and while it was a little challenging, it was a wonderful read that I really enjoyed!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Good luck I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)
CoderGirl85

Post by CoderGirl85 »

This has always been in my top 2 favourite Austen works (the other being persuasion). I love it when she writes "...I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.". It shows Elizabeth's strength of character unknowing her an mind. Most women of the day would never have dreamed of refusing an offer of marriage, especially one from a man of Mr. Darcy's "worth" & influence(£10,000/year). I also love it when Mr. Bennett sides with Elizabeth against his wife against the proposal of Mr. Collins. "An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. -Your mother will never see you again if you do NOT marry Me. Collins, and I will never see you again if you DO. How well Mr. Bennett knew his daughter.

It's been a long time since I read this, think I will again. And persuasion too.
ShannonNinja
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 54

Post by ShannonNinja »

Annony11 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 08:47 It took me three tries to get through Pride and Prejudice and enjoy it. I tried in 5th grade, had to read for school in 8th and gave up on it for more than a decade. I enjoyed film versions but couldn’t get into the book. Eventually, I came across the vlog, “The secret diaries of Lizzie Bennet,” which is a masterful modern retelling. Through that, I reread and finally enjoyed and appreciated the original book.
I’ve had a similar experience. I had to read Pride and Prejudice in my British Lit class my freshman year and I couldn’t even get through the book. A few years later I tried again and fell in love with it. I re-read it at least once a year and snag up any and every re-write and spin off I can find!
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

This is a book that deserves and receives Universal Prejudice. Any reader would be lucky to have it in his crosshairs, laps and then mind.

Return to “Classic Books”