Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by DATo »

Yelibenwork wrote:I read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice recently and loved it. I read books not only for their story or theme but also for their beautiful and imaginative language. So while reading novels I am conscious of literary devices like similes and metaphors and I savor them. When reading Pride and Prejudice I hardly came across these figures of speech. Did I just fail to notice them or did Jane Austen use no metaphors and similes? Or, were metaphors and similes not so popular in the early 19th century?
Yelibenwork,

I'm afraid you overlooked the obvious. The words 'Pride' and 'Prejudice' are actually metaphors for Darcy and Elizabeth.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Yelibenwork

Post by Yelibenwork »

DATo wrote:
Yelibenwork wrote:I read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice recently and loved it. I read books not only for their story or theme but also for their beautiful and imaginative language. So while reading novels I am conscious of literary devices like similes and metaphors and I savor them. When reading Pride and Prejudice I hardly came across these figures of speech. Did I just fail to notice them or did Jane Austen use no metaphors and similes? Or, were metaphors and similes not so popular in the early 19th century?
Yelibenwork,

I'm afraid you overlooked the obvious. The words 'Pride' and 'Prejudice' are actually metaphors for Darcy and Elizabeth.
DATo:

Thank you very much. That is really very helpful.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I just bought Pride and Prejudice today at the local op shop, quite happy to see it's currently in discussion when I come back.
:)
Caron1
Favorite Author: Andre Norton
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caron1.html
fav_author_id: 2714

Post by Caron1 »

Pride and Prejudice never goes out of style...there'll always be someone talking about it. :)
MelMariah

Post by MelMariah »

My friend just told me today, although she is not a reader, the movie is her favorite.
mandi82

Post by mandi82 »

Stacygee wrote:I just joined this forum and was so dismayed to see that the first post I read was critical of my very favorite book Pride and Prejudice. I just loved it and have read it over and over. I love the complexity of Lizzie falling in love with Darcy and even trying to figure out exactly when she did. I also love the misunderstood Darcy as I married my Mr. Darcy and a lot of people don't understand him.
I too love Pride and Prejudice, and I often listen to sections of the audio book when I am trying to get myself into writing mode. There have been some really interesting spin offs of Pride and Prejudice that makes it a whole series. My favorite is Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife, by Linda Berdoll. I also love the Bronte Sisters. In one of the books that continues the series, Charlotte Bronte is quoted to say that Jane Austen knew nothing of romance or marriage. The commentary goes on to say that Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife is the imaginative world of Austen if she had a sense of romance.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

I was in love with Mr Darcy when I read the original. None of the actors who played his role in movies did justice to the role. I try to see every video version that comes out.That's the only real character development in the book - turning from a rich snob to a very understanding and humble man. The romance is there, but it's very subtle, old-school, so you often miss it in all the details explaining the society in general, as was the style of all authors at the time.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
sheenasmith0715

Post by sheenasmith0715 »

I absolutely love Pride and Prejudice - it's one of my favs! Usually I loathe the movie versions of books, but the BBC miniseries with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy is outstanding! I can watch it repeatedly - and I have!
MelMariah

Post by MelMariah »

The book's fantastic and there's so many beautiful adaptations of it on screen :)
uknovelista17

Post by uknovelista17 »

I really enjoyed this novel, I think Jane Austen's novels are just excellent and comical. The characters were really OK for me, each character's personality seemed unique and they all just came together wonderfully. Lady Catherine de Bourgh's personality was in fact interesting even though I occasionally stopped reading just so I could return all those insults she threw at Lizzy :lol: I love the romance between Darcy and Elizabeth and I just adore his change of disposition just for the woman he loves. My rating, Awesome Book, five stars all the way.
socks

Post by socks »

Hi,
I think Pride and Prejudice is the greatest novel - storywise and stylistically. It builds up tension until the very last page with a happy ending. And the interiority of the characters expressed is lovely. There is so much more than just a love story. It is all about social rank and how the society deals with it. My favorite adaptation is the BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth - unattained by all that came after in my opinion.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I will always love "Pride and Prejudice" as the first "grown up" book I ever read and even at 12 I remember laughing out loud at how funny it was. I loved both the hero and heroine and really enjoyed loads of the other character's stories. Along with "Emma" it's my favourite Austin novel.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
BakerStreetJ

Post by BakerStreetJ »

Northanger Abbey was my favourite - I know it's not everyone's but I love Fanny!
mae

Post by mae »

BakerStreetJ wrote:Northanger Abbey was my favourite - I know it's not everyone's but I love Fanny!
Isn't Fanny in Mansfield Park? If that's the Fanny you mean, I loved her too :)

-- 12 May 2013, 10:27 --

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I read it every spring/summer and every autumn/winter. I laugh out loud a lot when reading this book :) Jane Austen was a very clever woman. I like how most of the female characters are strong willed, clever, and independent of people in general. (and I mean independent from others in being true to themselves, not is a worldly sense regarding money)
Sarah Jo

Post by Sarah Jo »

I like Pride and Prejudice. And having read it at least 2 times I find it gets easier to read the more you read it. It is a complex book and hard to understand, especially compared to today's easy reads.

Return to “Classic Books”