Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChloeClementine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Post by ChloeClementine »

I love Pride & Prejudice, I think as much as it's been labeled a romantic comedy it's more a social commentary of the times.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Julia J 1 »

I read this book recently and enjoyed it a lot but the ending was a bit disappointing. I wanted more interactions with Darcy and Elizabeth. Other than that, beautiful writing and very engaging.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

Good luck, I know pride and prejudice by Jane Austen was a great story because there was a lot of drama such as when you become a knighthood, how do you treat love, and everything else.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Let the story engulf you with every bit of luck that you may lose your sense of reality whilst nestled in its pages.
Mathews Panyako
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Mathews Panyako »

Comedy of manners ,where gratification meets preconceptions .The book must be well put .Yes,I won't hesitate reading it.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I'm currently reading this book. I must say, I love Mr Benneth sense of humour and his sarcasm is top notch
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Butterbescotch wrote: 06 May 2011, 01:32 Image

In case you don't know here's the blurb.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues. Renowned literary critic and historian George Saintsbury in 1894 declared it the "most perfect, the most characteristic, the most eminently quintessential of its author's works," and Eudora Welty in the twentieth century described it as "irresistible and as nearly flawless as any fiction could be."

"The wit of Jane Austen has for partner the perfection of her taste."
--Virginia Woolf
---

I'm currently reading it and I'm a bit tense reading a classic. Wish me Luck! :]
You will not regret it. The best book of all times. You fall so deep in love. You will forget any book you have read before.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

No doubt it is a masterpiece. When I read it then it took me about 6 months to finish it. It is a long story and you have to read it slowly to understand every bit of the soft emotions of human minds.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

I cannot overemphasize the fact that this is my favorite book OF ALL TIME. Jane Austen's wit and acerbic social commentary are present in all her novels, but she outdid herself with P&P.
Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

That book has a special place in my heart, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I fell madly in love with Austen's writing.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by beckybrandon »

I like this book only and only because of the main character Elizabeth Bennet. I like how she has her own opinions and takes her own stand when insulted by Mr. Darcy. She simply doesn't accepts Mr. Darcy's proposal and settles to be a submissive wife whose husband doesn't respects her background. She had self respect and that's the most amazing point for me.
beckybrandon
Currently Reading: Summer of the Second Coming
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by beckybrandon »

I like this book only and only because of the main character Elizabeth Bennet. I like how she has her own opinions and takes her own stand when insulted by Mr. Darcy. She simply doesn't accepts Mr. Darcy's proposal and settles to be a submissive wife whose husband doesn't respects her background. She had self respect and that's the most amazing point for me.
Emily Newton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-newton.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Emily Newton »

Absolutely one of my favorites of the classics. I love how Jane Austen dives into what it was like for women during this period of time. The relational drama and intrigue create a dynamic storyline. Definitely worthy of a reread or two.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Don't threat, it is a lovely piece of classical literature and will definitely leave you with a sense of piece in your being, Remember theses stories re considered the "originals' from with our contemporary stories have grown. So, read it as if yuo haven't got any knowledge of the stories that followed it into our contemporary day.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

One of the best British books I have read. This book stood the test of time

Return to “Classic Books”