The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Re: The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Post by SirLaddie »

I first read The Outsiders in seventh grade (the 70s). I loved the story so much I still have the copy I read in middle school. I have reread it many times and watched the movie several times. This is a book that will never get old. It is still required reading in schools.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

I read this book in 8th grade, I think, for school. I don't remember much about it, except the end was sad. We did get to watch the movie after the class finished the book. This is probably something I should go back and read.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
Pooja gurune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Pooja gurune »

I started to read when i was 14
And first book i read is horror comics and essays letters book and then i love to read love story book as well as business development books
Jluvmoney459OK
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jluvmoney459OK »

The Outsiders is an excellent book to learn about accepting people who are different from you.Your daughter is in an excellent age to learn about acceptance and understanding of people who are different or who live in a different neighborhood. The profanity and the violence I think it's not that bad and I don't think it will influence her to behave that way. Relax, let her enjoy this wonderful book. I read it when I was in 6th grade and I still remember the line,"Stay gold Ponyboy, stay gold".
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

The ”Outsiders” is a good book although it might not be an excellent recommendation for 5th graders. Maybe 6th graders but 7th or 8th graders should be perfect.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I understand where you are coming from, but perhaps you could look at protecting as exposing to these topics and then speak honestly on them.
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

Hello,
In my opinion, it should be up to readers whether they read specific books at any age.
Ophidia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ophidia »

I think ( since I also read this book in middle school) you should wait a bit before having her read the book. The book isn't particularly happy and something a 5th grade would put as one of their favorite books. Plus, some of the darker themes she might not understand fully. So you should definitely wait even though this is a 7 year old post/ she's definitely old enough now!
Xanmanz

Post by Xanmanz »

Being someone who has read the outsiders in middle school, I would say that many of the themes that the book conveys might be too subtle and confusing for 5th graders to understand. The Outsiders is centralized around gang influence and rivalry, as well as a number of other aspects that may be too disturbing for elementary school students. Additionally, the book does contain some phrases that might not be appropriate for such a young audience to read together. I would probably wait until at least 7th grade to start reading it, as many students will have more life experiences having a year of middle school completed and under their belt.
megan25006
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan25006.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by megan25006 »

I read this book in school in sixth grade and it has stayed with me since. As a reader I choose not to reread books, but with this book I feel like every time you read it there is more to learn and understand. To this day, now over a decade after I first read this book, I come back to it time and time again. Each time I had different life experiences and different aspects of the wonderful story line to learn from. It is truly about kids fighting for a better life and learning to not judge someone by their appearances or their circumstances and to find a path to acceptance. And what truly sticks with me is this lesson applies to those closest to us in addition to people we are just meeting for the first time.
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

I remember, the first time I read this book, I wasn't quite fond of it. I thought of it was boring and perhaps it was too subtle for young me. I have recently reread it, and can I just say that this book honestly is gorgeous? I love the imagery, and beyond that, the plot, the themes, the way the author portrayed them, was wonderful. I love it, and while it's a bit too raw for me right now, I'm sure I'll revisit it again.
Sweeta_120

Post by Sweeta_120 »

I read The Outsiders when I was in 7th grade and I think it was an interesting book that sparked good conversations and debate on the actions of the characters and their situations. The movie was great as well.
Beth_lindsay

Post by Beth_lindsay »

I think the outsiders is an amazing, moving emotionally raw book that I will always love and cherish. S.E. Hilton wrote a masterpiece with this book. It’s made such an impact on my life.
avapace15

Post by avapace15 »

“The Outsiders” is an outstanding book! The first time I read it in 4th grade, I was obsessed. I’ve probably read it 3 more times since then! S.E. Hinton began writing this incredible book in high school. This book features two groups of young adults—one group being rich, and the other poor. The two groups experience conflict, pain, and friendship throughout the book. I would recommend this book for ages older than 10, because there is minor violence. This book will always be my favorite!
billday10
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: grapes of wrath
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billday10.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by billday10 »

yeah this was an 8th grade reading for me, here in California

Return to “Classic Books”