February 2021 - Fantasy/Magic Realism Book Discussion

For February 2021 we'll be reading Fantasy/Magic realism books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

February 2021 - Fantasy/Magic Realism Book Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I'm back and ready to begin discussing the book(s) we read for this month's genre discussion! For February, we're reading books that fall under the genre fantasy/magic realism (my favorite!). What is the difference between the two? Is there one?

Fantasy: Usually set in fictional universe. It can include magic, other supernatural elements, and/or magical creatures. It tends to question what would happen if the supernatural were real (i.e. what if fairies were real?)

Magical Realism: Is a sub-genre of fantasy. The magic or supernatural elements included is set in the real world and blends the fantasy parts with everyday life.

Here are some questions to guide discussion this month:
  • What have you read or are currently reading for this month?
  • Was it fantasy or magical realism? What characteristics demonstrated it was one versus the other?
  • What rating did you give this book?
  • Would you recommend it to others? Who is the intended audience?
Feel free to share anything else from the book(s) you've read this month! Most importantly, let's all have fun! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished Harry Potter: Cinematic Guide by Felicity Baker, which I'm considering as fantasy, as opposed to nonfiction. Normally, a cinematic guide, I would think of as a guide to describe not only the events of the movie, but perhaps how certain scenes were done, the actors' favorite scenes or costumes, or something more than just a synopsis of the movie.

Now, I love Harry Potter for sure, but this guide kind of fell short to my expectations. It's meant to be read by children/middle grade group. However, some of it was poorly written, not written in sequential order, some information is repeated, one piece of information is just not true, and some key elements of the movies were missing.

Though it was quick and I can say that I fairly enjoyed this short book, I think there are several ways that it could've been improved.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just finished A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire and really enjoyed it! It is the second book in the October Daye series and I'm definitely planning on continuing the series!

I would consider it fantasy, with some magic realism. There are magical creatures, supernatural elements/powers, and definitely magic involved. The magical realism part is very light here, but it is set in San Francisco and we get a glimpse of the main character's regular apartment and a bit of her everyday life as she lives in the city. Then, the majority of the book is set in a magical place with magical creatures.

4 out of 4 stars would be my rating! I would absolutely recommend this book to those who read and enjoyed the first one. Also, to those who enjoy a strong, female lead character. I would say the intended audience would be young adult and older.

I look forward to reading the third in the series! :D
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 10:16 I just finished A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire and really enjoyed it! It is the second book in the October Daye series and I'm definitely planning on continuing the series!

I would consider it fantasy, with some magic realism. There are magical creatures, supernatural elements/powers, and definitely magic involved. The magical realism part is very light here, but it is set in San Francisco and we get a glimpse of the main character's regular apartment and a bit of her everyday life as she lives in the city. Then, the majority of the book is set in a magical place with magical creatures.

4 out of 4 stars would be my rating! I would absolutely recommend this book to those who read and enjoyed the first one. Also, to those who enjoy a strong, female lead character. I would say the intended audience would be young adult and older.

I am glad you enjoyed it and join your recommendation of the series. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 10:40
hsimone wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 10:16 I just finished A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire and really enjoyed it! It is the second book in the October Daye series and I'm definitely planning on continuing the series!

I am glad you enjoyed it and join your recommendation of the series. :)
:tiphat:
Heidi

Return to “February 2021 Genre Discussion”