How admirable do you find his compassion?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: How admirable do you find his compassion?

Post by lavkathleen »

Shirley-Tome wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 01:20 In a world with few people who can exhibit such love and compassion for their partner, I was truly in awe of the way he loved his wife.
What Dr. Berrah and Titi had was truly a one of a kind gem. The same as you, I was in awe too. This was something that I wasn't expecting from this book. But nonetheless, it was a welcome surprise. It brings me comfort that this kind of thing exists, and therefore possible for all of us.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

justhereader wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 09:12 What I like the most about Dr. Berrah is his genuine and profound desire to understand all religions. His compassion to every person he meets, despite their religious differences, is something that I find inspiring.
This is another thing that I wasn't expecting, too. But it is also a welcome suprise, one that I admire to a high level. It amazes me how much our religions intersect, after all this time when I was made to believe that we were all divided. Now I want to know more about the other religions and their practices.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

cd20 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 10:59 Compassion is definitely an admirable quality and one we should have with all people, not just our spouses/loved ones, but with those we interact with as well. My husband is also a great example of that kind of love, I am blessed!
Another person who found that same love! I'm happy for you! You are indeed blessed. And you're right, too, we should practice compassion in our daily lives, even with strangers. I hope we all remember Dr. Berrah when we are faced with a situation that requires exactly that.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

MayorE wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 07:52 He's love was really genius. He showed his love not only by his words but his actions as well. This is the kind of love few people experience and the rest, wish to experience.
Right. I adored how he would talk about his affection towards her, even though she's not physically present. But I was awe-struck with his recounts of the actions he accompanied with his words. I loved how he would remember all the little things, her favorites, and how he didn't care how difficult it would be to spend time with her. Amazing.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 19:19 Very much!!! Not many people get loved the way he loves his wife. She’s certainly lucky that he loves her this much I always want to treat my girlfriend the way he treats his wife. He did inspire me to love my girlfriend more and I’m also such a fan of his relationship with his wife
This is adorable! I just read a reply about how he will inspire and influence men to be more like him so this is good to see. Also, if he was here, I think he'd say that he was the lucky one to marry someone like Titi. :lol2: I think he'd be sweet like that.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Lalit_kendre14 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 11:16 Not exclusively was the adoration and empathy for his significant other honorable. Be that as it may, his empathy stretched out to all individuals with whom he came in contact. In pretty much all that he did (that he related) he had his individual compatriots as a main priority. Nothing that he did appear to be out of absolutely selfish intentions. He was continually attempting to help other people, which shows a lot of sympathies.
I know, right? Mostly, it was comforting to read about a person like him. In a world where you need to be suspicious of everyone, it feels like a breath of relief to know about him, even if only for a few days. I wish I met him but since I can't possibly do that, I wish to meet the people who inherited this kindness from him.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Katherine Smith wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 18:18 I think that his love and compassion are something to aspire to in all relationships not just romantic ones. I also think that in relationships it is not the grand gestures that mean the most to people, but the small things that make their day a little bit brighter. I also like that the relationship with his wife was built upon mutual respect and understanding of one another as individuals and as a team.
People making grand gestures but never striving to be better in the little things are quite the let down, to be honest. It gives you adrenaline rush but you realize it was only for show. I also love that you mentioned the fact that we are individuals first, a couple second. It is so important to be in the right place first so we can function better as a team with our partners.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

HDFC Head Girl wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 08:57 I think his passion is one of the most admirable things about him. Even when his wife wasn't around to hear him, he spoke so highly of her and with genuine love and affection. I think it was such a beautiful sentiment. And he wasn't just a passionate man towards his wife. He brought that to every aspect of his life. His work as a scientist, where he made huge strides before he left to become a diplomat. His efforts in world peace were so inspiringly alruistic and he truly tried his best to achieve his goals. So yes, his passion was very admirable.
Now that his passion is drilled into my head, it makes me think about his zodiac sign. I wonder what it is. He was never lukewarm in what he does—like you said, his passion can be found everywhere. I've always struggled with mine, but I guess reading about him might help!
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

UncleP wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 04:56 I found the love between him and his wife so admirable and genuine, for even the fact that the wife could write a book about him. I recently read the interview with his wife, and she said she remember this time that her husband went to talk to a smoking-pregnant lady and told her to please stop because of the sake of the unborn child. That is really a good attribute of compassion and how much more to be felt from the wife.
Where did you find it? I have craved for what she has to say about any of this. I want to know what she has to say. Anyway, this only shows that whatever burden they had to carry were split into two. It was a mutual love, respect, and understanding. They're magnificent.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Folushour wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 05:19
Vine001 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 18:20 The compassion he had for his wife is very admirable. If marriages had this the divorce rate would reduce drastically.
The reason why it's not like that is because it's like two different roads: compassion for others and love for self. When you're on the road of love for self, you would choose yourself before any other person; you always come first. Someone could be in pain beside you, but you may not care because you are enjoying all the things you spoil yourself with. On the other hand, a compassionate person would forget about themselves and act to console the person in pain.
Thank you for talking about self love! We almost never talk about that when we discuss relationships. We need to keep in our minds that we need to function well as individuals to function well in a relationship. If it becomes unbalanced, a lot of problems can come out of it. But at the end of the way, what is love from others when you don't love yourself?
Kathleen Lavador

Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 00:58 I think his wife is a lucky woman! I also think that everyone who is married should love their companions with such compassion. Sadly, such a love is very rare. And I really do find it admirable and inspiring. To my opinion, it was one of the best things one can learn from this book.
I agree with you. Though he failed twice in marriages, seemingly he have learned from his mistakes and have become a passionate lover and a loving husband. To have such a husband, his wife should have been very lucky definitely. For anyone who is struggling with their relationships, this book will be a great inspiration to adopt to some method to have a strong and long lasting relationship
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Catie139 wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 17:55 Not only was the love and compassion for his wife admirable. But his compassion extended to all the people with whom he came in contact. In just about everything he did (that he recounted) he had his fellow countrymen in mind. Nothing that he did seemed to be out of purely egotistical motives. He was always trying to help others, which shows a great deal of compassion.
That is true. He was a man of God and he extended his love towards all the humankind. Maybe that is the reason for him to leave science and choose diplomacy, his need and passion to serve the suffering people due to wars and many other political issues. He did his job with an ultimate motive of serving humankind, unlike the usual diplomats who usually do the biddings of powerful countries rather than serving people. That is a great inspiration that can be taken from this character
Sushan Ekanayake

gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 14:00 I found the author's compassion very inspiring. It's so rare to see someone who loves someone else with such altruism like this, I wish more people would love like that. Besides that, he lived an amazing life and took part in so many important historical events, even when those events didn't give him power, money, or anything like that. It's very altruistic, in my opinion.
He was lucky enough to be a part of many historically important events. He could have gained whatever he wanted from those opportunities, but his only motive was to truly serve in his job. Diplomacy was not just a job to him. He loved humankind, and he wanted to give God's love to people. If anyone in that field can gain this as a good inspiration from this book, that will make a great diplomat like Dr. Berrah
Sushan Ekanayake

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 21:44 The way he talks so kindly about his wife when she leaves the room is admirable. He must truly mean what he says if he speaks so highly of her when she isn't even there to hear it. It would be wonderful to be married to a man that thought so highly of his wife.
He always respected women. It started with his love and respect to his mother, and later he extended it to his wife as well. He loved her very much, and at the same time gave her the due respect.

As a man who was true to his words, he could not have talked something else while thinking something else about his wife. So, definitely he has truly spoken of her highly, even when she was not there, since he did not expect any benefit from that, but to tell the others how good his wife is and how much he loves her. That is a good lesson for any husbw
Sushan Ekanayake

zainherb wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 06:51 Indeed. Some people love and don't know the right way to treat those they love. It is truly admirable to be able to show love and compassion in the way Dr Berrah does to his wife. It shows he is in a good place himself and it is inspiring.
That is an important point. Maybe that you truly love someone, but have no idea how to show it. Some might argue that love should be in your mind. But what I say is love should be felt by the intended person. Otherwise how can he/she return it?

Dr. Berrah shows a good lesson in loving passionately as well as expressing it. He kept his wife close to him always and he showed love and due respect to her. So she should have felt that she is being loved and that might have made it easy for them to have a happy wedded life, though Dr. Berrah had a very busy life

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”