Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Could he have done more as a scientist than a diplomat?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

jaym_tan wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 09:56 We may never know what his fate might be. Nonetheless, there is no harm in thinking about 'what ifs'. If he had continued as a scientist, he might get to make an amazing discovery that can be used for good or destruction. We will probably never know. Yet one thing is for sure, whatever path he may have taken he will still do amazing in it.
That is true. He was a skillful person with a good intellect. So whatever the lane he chose to go down, he would have done wonders.

But the service that the world receives depends on the field, since not that every field is equally affected to human beings. Diplomatic missions for peace are useful for many who suffer from war and othet political agendas. But the issue is how long they will be lucky to have those benefits, since anything related to politics is temporary.

But as per my opinion, scientific discoveries are not so, and they tend to have a long lasting impact on the world. That is why I say he could have done more as a scientist
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I think it was the matter of which is urgent between the two. Fighting for the independence of his people was urgent compared to him trying to advance his career as a scientist. But, had he not switched his career to be a diplomat, they yes he would achieved more.
Myladysarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myladysarah.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Myladysarah »

I believe he had the potential to do many more great things in the field of science, but what it comes down to is passion. If his passion shifted and was no longer in science, then all the intellect in the world would not have ushered more scientific advancement. I believe he made the right choice by following his passion and fighting for unity.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Mtibza eM wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 03:35 I think it was the matter of which is urgent between the two. Fighting for the independence of his people was urgent compared to him trying to advance his career as a scientist. But, had he not switched his career to be a diplomat, they yes he would achieved more.
Did he fight for his people as a diplomat? Maybe he believed that he was doing so. But I think diplomats can only do the biddings of the political leaders and only be an intermediate candidate for the discussions for peace. If one truly wants to fight for his people, in my opinion, either he has to be a revolutionary or a leading politician. Maybe the matter was urgent, but I feel that he chose a wrong position to do that. That is why I say if he remained as a scientist, he could have done more
Sushan Ekanayake

Myladysarah wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 06:55 I believe he had the potential to do many more great things in the field of science, but what it comes down to is passion. If his passion shifted and was no longer in science, then all the intellect in the world would not have ushered more scientific advancement. I believe he made the right choice by following his passion and fighting for unity.
I agree with you. To be succeeded in whatever the field that you are in, you should definitely have a passion towards what you are doing. If Dr. Berrah lost his passion towards science and developed it towards diplomacy, then by following his thoughts he has done a good thing for himself as well as the world.

But if we keep 'passion' aside, and objectively look at the potential that each field will offer to him, in which field he could have done more? What do you think?
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

itsrachna wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 08:22 All that matters is what he wanted. He might have felt more fulfilling with being a diplomat.
But I believe he could have done better if he had chosen not to become a diplomat because he was already outdoing in his field. Choosing to become a diplomat was for a noble cause but it didn't repay him as much. And world peace is the most complex thing to step into. Practically it is foolish.
Oh, so it was foolish to choose a noble cause? It was foolish to give all those people a job and sometimes even money? It was foolish to be the bridge between great leaders in order to have peaceful dialogues? It was foolish to choose to be down there with his people because he can't stomach the fact that they're struggling and he sitting comfortably in the lab? Because to me it wasn't. To all those people he helped, it wasn't.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:30 I think, when comes to this topic, I too think alike you. When I look at the scientific breakthroughs that he found in his short career in the field of science, I can't imagine what else he could have found or invented that could have made the world much better place. It is true that based on his projects many other developments have happened later. But such a genius mind should not have been wasted on a subject like diplomacy which is, according to my opinion, only a way for the powerful countries to control the world
That's exactly the reason why he took the job in the first place. He couldn't stomach the way that his people were extremely struggling and he's not with them. He didn't say "We the people of the Third World neither feel the need, nor harbor a desire in all honesty, to switch places with the wealthy nations. We do not wish to see them become impoverished while we become rich. But the wealthy nations must understand that we refuse to let ourselves bleed to death while they sit back nonchalantly and enrich themselves on our backs." for you all to say that it was a foolish decision.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Nonny2208 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:41 I think accomplishment is a personal thing. To some others, his attempt on achieving world peace may have great impact on them thereby helping them find peace, but I feel personally that he could have done more as a scientist.
It's easy to say for people who does not reside in any African country, belonged to the lowest social class, and/or hasn't lived during that era. The country's flourish might not have lasted, but it meant a great deal for a lot of people. He played a huge role for that to happen. I think we're starting to take the word "peace" for granted and not see what it actually means.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 00:33 It is true that those who are in politics should have a good intelligence as well as an innovative mind, though we don't see those qualities from those who are currently in politics. But what I see is, for various reasons, many people get into politics. So there is no vacuum in the field of politics for its various positions. But in the field of science, it doesn't matter how many are involved in the research field since every brain matters their. So I believe that Dr. Berrah should have remained in the field of science and then he could have done a better service to the world
It actually takes a great deal of privilege, time, money, and connections to be able to work as a research scientist. Dr. Berrah was lucky. For you to say that he should've stayed there because there's so much space is just weird and ignorant. A person like him taking up space in the government is significant, so much so that they make the difference between a country flourishing and one that burns down to chaos. There's a reason why they're called "leaders."
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 01:47 Yes, I agree. We can't discuss on in which field he had his passion, since it is subjective. And to do a better service, it is true that you have to be in the field that you love. But, having said that, still we can ponder in the objective fact that being in which field he could have done more. I still think that science is more sure than diplomacy, since diplomatic missions involve people and people are unreliable
That's exactly why he's needed on that position. To ignore the call for such a position because people are unreliable just doesn't make sense. To get rid of the unreliable people, you need to put the reliable people within the circle. The more people like Dr. Berrah are in there, then the better the future would look. You can't win if all you think about is inconvenience and failure.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sushan wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 01:51
OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:30 I think, when comes to this topic, I too think alike you. When I look at the scientific breakthroughs that he found in his short career in the field of science, I can't imagine what else he could have found or invented that could have made the world much better place. It is true that based on his projects many other developments have happened later. But such a genius mind should not have been wasted on a subject like diplomacy which is, according to my opinion, only a way for the powerful countries to control the world
I am glad to find someone who thinks alike. I too think the same regarding diplomacy. When we consider the history as well as today's politics, it is merely a playground for the powerful countries to achieve their goals. Seemingly Dr. Berrah has, either knowingly or unknowingly, been a player in this arena. So it is doubtful whether he could do exactly what he wanted to bring peace to the world. If he remained in the field of science, atleast he could have done what he himself thought what would be better for the world, without doing the bidding of some supreme power
The reason why he chose diplomacy is because no one else wanted to and the people who decide to take it usually want to use it for their own gain. His decision to choose it was wise as we need more genuinely caring and helpful people like him in those position who can truly represent the masses. It's disappointing to see you all say that he was inspiring and then turn around to say that he made a poor choice by choosing politics.
Kathleen Lavador

Sushan Ekanayake

lavkathleen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 04:04
gabrielletiemi wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 14:03 I think that it is really hard to know if Dr. Berrah could have done more as a scientist, especially when we see that it is related to his passion and his motivation. I think that his attempts at peace mattered, even though he didn't bring world peace, he did his best and he helped to bring new perspectives to various populations.
Agreed. I think it's less about where he could do more but more about where he could be his best self. He was always going to be an activist and fighter for people's rights. His efforts will not be in vain; his work as a diplomat laid down a road towards a better future and if there's anything I learned from his book, it's the fact that things take time. I can't wait for it.
Seemingly diplomacy suited best for him. His character was an activist and a fighter and seemingly he used it for good.

And I agree that goals in diplomacy are gained after some time. But the problem comes when they are not persistent. As Dr. Berwhas mentioned, his successors have not continued his work and he was not happy about what happened to his efforts after his retirement. So, though he was where it was best suited for him, it is questionable whether he could do an actual service by being there.

I believe that he could have done more in the field of science
Sushan Ekanayake

lavkathleen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 05:19
raluca_mihaila wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 15:56 I think that the matter of accomplishment is a subjective one. If Dr. Berrah felt like his calling was diplomacy instead of the scientific world, that maybe his opinion about being successful matters more than ours. Nevertheless, it is hard to decide "the success" of diplomacy because it is a long term goal, not easily quantifiable. So I think it is not for us to draw a conclusion in this matter. Also, it is impossible to do so.
Agreed. He struggled for some time before he couldn't take not being on the ground with his people anymore. And with the way he ended his memoir, it's safe to say that he didn't regret choosing this path. Also, the book obviously inspired and impacted us readers in more ways than one. Imagine his effect on people that he actually met. I'd say that he's successful only because of that.
Indeed he made an impact. And also he did a great service. He was not regretting of his choices, but as we see, he regretted about his good work not being continued by his successors. Seemingly his inspiration was either not enough or not taken by his successors.

If we think of the impact that he exerted per say, yes he has gone in to the correct field. But when we consider the lifetime of his work, for how long they lasted, I am in doubt whether he could do an actual service, rather than remaining as a scientist
Sushan Ekanayake

lavkathleen wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 05:55
Sushan wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 00:33 Maybe you are correct. And also we may never know what Dr. Berrah would have actually preferred. In my opinion, diplomacy is something fraudulent than being a long shot. None of the powerful countries care about world peace. They use diplomacy to intervene the business of other countries and get benefited in the process. Scientific revrevelations too will do similar things. But ultimately the benefits will be open for a majority in contrast to what diplomacy will gain. So I think it could have been better if he remained as a scientist.
It's literally on page 147 and through to the ending of Chapter 5 that he said that this was his life's purpose. I agree that diplomacy has its pros and cons, but to say that his work as one was useless is just grave disrespect and undermining of his achievements. He went above and beyond his job description to touch other people's lives whether it was morally, spiritually, or financially. I'd bet my life and say that it created a domino effect all over the world.
This discussion is not to disrespect this marvellous character. And also it is not about where his heart was. He chose diplomacy and thats it. Seemingly he did not regret of it and he did a great service too.

But as I see this, after his retirement, his work of a lifetime has gone nowhere making no good to people after that. And he has mentioned that he actually regretted of that as a fact. Lets think that he remained in science and did some marvellous breakthroughs. Will his successors just ignore his findings? No way. They will further work on them and develop them further. Atleast Dr. Berrah could have remained satisfied that someone is carrying on his work, unless what is happened in the field of diplomacy
Brainiac140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brainiac140.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Brainiac140 »

I think he'd have done more as a scientist than a diplomat, but it all depends on someone's personal view of accomplishment.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”