Overall rating and opinion of "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Post by MayorE »

A 4 out of 4 stars is well justified in this case. His life was really inspirational. He achieved what many haven't even thought of achieving. There is so much to learn from Dr Gouhlem.
Mary Aloyo
Favorite Book: Dream for peace
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: LAPTOP

Post by Mary Aloyo »

It s a great story told by the author as he eyewitnesses each account of events ,him personally being participated in each .
samps1910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by samps1910 »

lavkathleen wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 02:30
samps1910 wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 02:30 I find that this book is overall a very inspiring work. His struggle and his hard work as an activist really opened my mind and this is what I like about the book. There's nothing I dislike about it. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys biographies. This is a pleasant read!
I'm glad that there are other who enjoyed this book, but I can't help but say that it wasn't as pleasant for me. :cry2: A lot of times it was dragging and difficult to understand (for someone who hasn't read anything in relation to Africa). The events were also difficult to place on a timeline because of the way it was written and organized.
I'm sorry to hear that. It was quite dragging at some parts, but I find that it made the book better.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I gave it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars . Mainly because I appreciate that the book had minimal errors. But, ut could have been more captivating.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

HDFC Head Girl wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 07:50 Dream for Peace is an inspiring portrayal of the unswerving courage and strength that Dr. Ghoulem Berrah displayed when he was faced with practically insurmountable hurdles. It was such a compelling story impressive story because the author did so much in his life. Being a very accomplished man, his contributions to the Biological sciences widely impacted the world, he made good use of his diplomatic talents and he travelled the world while getting to know such eminent personalities. And possibly what I liked most about this story, is that since it is written from Dr. Berrah's perspective himself, you get to see the more human aspects of his life, rather than a list of his achievements and accolades. I quite liked reading about the values of love and appreciation that he feels for his family, along with the beautiful stories that accompany his three marriages. Another thing that I quite admired about the book was that the author was an egalitarian man and made real and monumental efforts to improve the way of life around him. The only thing that I felt could've made the novel a bit better was if the author had been a bit more humble whilst talking about his life. Overall, I would have say that while autobiographies aren't usually my forte, I quite enjoyed this one and I highly recommend it, especially to audiences interested in world politics and history. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
You're right, majority of the time we only see a list of accomplishments of successful and famous people. This makes me want to read more biographies, especially those who impress me. But I'm really wondering how people are seeing that Dr. Berrah was bragging about his achievements. This is his memoir, intended to inspire people and show us his dreams for peace. I think he was humble.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Ngelani R wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 22:38 This book deserves a full rating (4 out of 4). I liked how the author created inspiring story from his own biography. Actually, there is nothing I disliked about the book. I will recommend it to all those who love reading biographical books.
The way you worded it seems weird. He didn't "create an inspiring story." It was his life story. He didn't make it seem inspiring—it already is. He just wrote about it and had it published.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 23:59 I enjoyed this book. This man led a very interesting life. His dedication to his cause was admirable. Even spending time in prison did not stop this ambitious man from trying to achieve his dream for peace. He is inspiring and sends a strong message of never giving up on your dreams.
It shows how he's been all in right from the start. Some would've already stopped fighting once they were put in the same circumstances he was put in. For those taking the same path as he did, we should think of him and everyone else who had that same courage when it feels like the world is against us.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 12:15 I enjoyed the recounting of Dr. Berrah's efforts to achieve peace for Cote d'Ivoire and Algeria. His profound relationship with President Houphouët was inspiring. Some of the historical accounts of the African countries he worked with would appeal to people who live or are familiar with this part of the world. I found some of these sections hard to relate to. I wished he would have included some maps. I also enjoyed reading about his relationship with Titi. My favorite chapter was his description of the bloopers during his career! I would recommend this book to students and historians who are looking for in-depth information on the peace efforts in Africa. Overall, I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.
I wished he included a map, too! When I was on the early chapters, I kept thinking, "Only people who had knowledge about Africa and other relevant things related to them could enjoy this book." It's difficult to simultaneously read and research about what you're reading.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Lalit_kendre14 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 11:14 I locate that this book is generally an extremely rousing work. I preferred a few statements inside this book. Discovering harmony as his title said wasn't difficult to get, all things considered. In Myanmar, we making a decent attempt to move it yet it still far away from us. The book makes me embarrassed about myself since I believed I didn't take an action enough to get it.
I've read about what's happening in Myanmar right now. My thoughts are always with you all over there. Feeling embarrassed is okay, what's important is what you do with what you feel and these new things you've discovered. I hope you do the right thing with them, friend.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Hhannahh wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 06:29
Fleurine_t92 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 01:27 The author know how to show off his past, struggles and strengths he got. This is the nice book. But only I couldn't put in mind to read to understand and trying to find the error. In that case, reading other professions I didn't know is hard for me and the story was being some kind of boring to me. I like some quotes inside this book. Finding the peace as his title said wasn't easy to get in real life. In myanmar, we trying hard to get it but it still far away from us. The book make me ashamed of myself because I felt I didn't make a move enough to get it.
Hey Fleurine, the ending of your comment caught my attention. I never heard of Myanmar until I read your comment. I've done my research on your country, and I understand how you feel about the sad state of it. Infact, I can perfectly relate to how you feel about your country because I come from a similarly failed state. But I just want to tell you that you shouldn't feel ashamed of yourself because what you've read in this book. Sad maybe, but not ashamed. I'd say you should be motivated not ashamed. I understand how hopeless things look, but feeling ashamed is the first step to giving up.
Feeling ashamed doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing. You noticed something lacking and you felt bad about it. That's a good thing. What matters is what you choose to do after feeling that: are you going to succumb into it and just sit in the corner or are you going to do your best to change what bad thing you're now aware of?
Kathleen Lavador

Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

lavkathleen wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 02:08
Hhannahh wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 06:29
Fleurine_t92 wrote: 13 Feb 2021, 01:27 The author know how to show off his past, struggles and strengths he got. This is the nice book. But only I couldn't put in mind to read to understand and trying to find the error. In that case, reading other professions I didn't know is hard for me and the story was being some kind of boring to me. I like some quotes inside this book. Finding the peace as his title said wasn't easy to get in real life. In myanmar, we trying hard to get it but it still far away from us. The book make me ashamed of myself because I felt I didn't make a move enough to get it.
Hey Fleurine, the ending of your comment caught my attention. I never heard of Myanmar until I read your comment. I've done my research on your country, and I understand how you feel about the sad state of it. Infact, I can perfectly relate to how you feel about your country because I come from a similarly failed state. But I just want to tell you that you shouldn't feel ashamed of yourself because what you've read in this book. Sad maybe, but not ashamed. I'd say you should be motivated not ashamed. I understand how hopeless things look, but feeling ashamed is the first step to giving up.
Feeling ashamed doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing. You noticed something lacking and you felt bad about it. That's a good thing. What matters is what you choose to do after feeling that: are you going to succumb into it and just sit in the corner or are you going to do your best to change what bad thing you're now aware of?
True words you have spoken. Some times I feel ashamed of my country (wishing I were from another country 😂), but I have neither given up hope nor effort. Thank you for the correction.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Wamakima wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 15:11 I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars, because part of me felt like that it wasn't possible for a person to be so successful and achieve so much.
What made you think that? Sorry, that is so funny. People can be this successful, if not more. Are you one of those people who think he made this up too? Even with the amount of documents included and little research you can do? This is getting tiring.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Hhannahh wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 04:58 True words you have spoken. Some times I feel ashamed of my country (wishing I were from another country 😂), but I have neither given up hope nor effort. Thank you for the correction.
No problem. You're not alone in wishing to have lived in another country. :lol2: But if you think about it, every country has some messed up thing going on. I know what you mean, though, just wanting to not have to deal with all these problems that seem too difficult to solve. Hang in there, buddy. ♡
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Drianie wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 16:32 Biographies aren't usually my go-to choice for reading material, but I found this book very interesting and easy to read. I found it admirable how the author was able to balance his education along with his role in political activism. The underlying message of peace and equality is truly inspiring. He has led a full and interesting life, and those who enjoy biographies centered around politics and history will enjoy this one. This was an easy 4 out of 4 stars for me, and there wasn't anything to dislike about this well-written book.
It really made me imagine how he could've possibly balanced his studies and activism, considering he was quite active in his extracurriculars. It must've taken monstrous efforts... I wouldn't have been able to successfully do it. I can only wish I was him at this point.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

aby johnson wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 04:34 I found this book to be so inspiring and moving. I don't usually read biography kind of books but this one really makes me want to read more. The path he took in life and the way he overcame his obstacles is astounding. I would recommend this book to everyone.
"Astounding" is right, it's the perfect word. By the end of the book, he might have felt like he had shortcomings and/or felt that there was still so much work to do, but at the same time he felt accomplished and fulfilled enough that he said he was ready to meet his Creator. This book bored me, I think it could be written in a better way, but it sure did contain inspiring and awe-striking stories.
Kathleen Lavador

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”