Overall rating and opinion of "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Use this forum to discuss the February 2021 Book of the month, "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wesusa »

The book is interesting in its depiction of his life. He laments on it in a way that is both intriguing and entertaining.
Cormoran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cormoran.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Cormoran »

I am still reading this book. I am finding it very inspiring. The struggles and pain are so heartfelt! Yet the dreams are not lost. It touches the heart right away! I am enjoying it thoroughly.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

An unexamined life is not worth living indeed rings true with this book. Having gone through what he went through, I believe finding peace was a very fitting title for the book. An absolutely wonderful 4 stars book.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Mtracey wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 12:45 The book was inspiring and thoughtful. 4 out of 4 stars to the author, whose dreams are hard to achieve, though he never gives up.
That's what is admirable about him. I've seen some people here say that diplomacy and the work towards peace are useless because they believe it's unachievable. But it's only because of people like him that carries the torch of hope, that some of us are here.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Mounce574 wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 04:59 4 out 4 stars. He is an great story teller, and his moral standards are never compromised. I only have dreamed of accomplishing a fraction of what this man has achieved.
Right? He has done so much in service of his people. He's sacrificed a lot just to do what he can for them, while most of us strive only for selfish needs. I wouldn't say that he was a good storyteller, though; I've read stories written and delivered in a better way. I'd say he had good stories to share, and that's the best thing about this book.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

oluwalonimi29 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 21:40 The greatness of champions are in their stories and those who want to be great must learn from them.The authors life,struggles and accomplishment is another evidence that peace can be created.Good writings and teaching for anyone dreaming for peace and success
I love that first sentence. I feel like it sends the message that champions should not be known only for their achievements, but also for their downfalls, for they're both important parts of the story that we should learn from. And I agree, Dr. Berrah's story is evidence that such sacrifices and hardwork are not done in vain, contrary to what some people say.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

micoleon13 wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 10:50 I enjoyed this book a lot, reading about his life, dreams, his family and learning about how he overcame his struggles. The fact he's such a good storyteller makes the whole book a winner and a great memoir.
I wouldn't say that he was a good storyteller. I didn't enjoy the way it was written. But what makes me say that it was still a good book was the kind of man Dr. Berrah was and his life experiences. This isn't something that a lot of people can tell, which therefore makes it a gem.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Barbie_sidhu wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 01:05 The book is a very astounding read. The author did so much in life; from marrying three times to knowing great personalities and touring the world, each phase of his story is worth admiring. When I first saw the cover of the book, I was skeptical. But when I read it, I couldn't get enough. I deserves a full star rating. A great memoir.
I saw the book cover a few months ago and thought, "There's no way I'm reading that." And yet here I am, finished reading it and so glad that I did. I can't give it a perfect rating, though, because I didn't enjoy the way that it was written.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Juliet+1 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 20:30 I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a very interesting read, but part of that is simply because the author lived in such interesting times. His eyewitness account of events and his personal involvement in them makes the book worthwhile for any reader. There were, however, two things I didn't like. I thought the author bragged a little too much about his own capabilities. And there were a few too many syntax errors. But it's still a great book; I would recommend it to everyone.
I agree: what really made this interesting was his life experiences. However, I didn't pick up the sense that he was being pompous about it. Actually, I'd say he was humble, especially since he's laid down his life in trying to make sure that his people had better ones. Could you elaborate?
Kathleen Lavador

cjl1995
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjl1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by cjl1995 »

I enjoyed reading Dream For Peace, for the most part. I do not usually like to read biographies because they tend to make me bored and I find them tedious. But this book almost overwhelmed me with the amount he accomplished in his life. Dr. Ghoulem always strived towards peace and equality and I found that very inspiring. His life sort of reminds me of Nelson Mendela's. I would rate it as 4 out of 4 stars
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Dream for Peace: An Ambassador Memoir is an amazing book. It was astounding to learn about Dr. Berrah's life, his activism was really inspiring because he was very sincere in advocating for peace and equality. He led an incredible life filled with passion and accomplishments.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

A well lived life indeed, courage in the face of danger, doing all that is necessary to achieve his goals and putting all of your trust in God, are the elements I discovered about Ghoulem. Throughout the story, the writer takes us to the heart of all the hardships he encountered. The story which fills with happiness and sadness at the same time also restores hope in the hearts of the readers. Yes, I gladly recommend this story to those who would love to discover what it meant to be part of the society which was working towards restoring independence from the colonialists and all of those who are working towards achieving their goals in life. I love Ghoulem's courage and how he chose to go after whatever he wanted and his elite approach to the challenges he faced.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I rate it 4 out of 4 stars because I believe the author has done a great job in telling his past to us. There's a lot to learn from his story but I really enjoyed the added quotes in the book. I was really inspired about his accomplishments, career and how he handled his family. I look up to the author as I will try to emulate his ways.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I love the honesty in this book. The author talked about his life in such an honourable way. Starting from humble beginnings and endings up rubbing shoulders with the most influential people on the continent of Africa and even worldwide was just amazing to witness. There is nothing I disliked about it, except perhaps that it was too long. I would recommend to people who are interested in the history of African Union, Africa, and even how Africa came about to be independent. I loved it so much that I rate it full four stars.
Myladysarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myladysarah.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Myladysarah »

Berrah's hardships are an eye opener to the politics beneath our eyes. This book is truly motivational and causes the reader to want to fight for unity globally. Great read.

Return to “Discuss "Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir" by Dr.Ghoulem Berrah”