How much does society come into play in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: How much does society come into play in the book?

Post by Catie139 »

Society and it's impact on social norms and values was a dominant theme with regard to pretty much every aspect of culture in this book. It was demonstrated in the role of women, the discrepancy between the rich and poor, slavery, marriage/ divorce, and even education.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 01:18 I would say that society has a lot of effect in this book. Embon's elders viewed him as a failure, an underachiever which in turn influenced other members of the society to see him the same way as someone with little value. I would say society comes into play quite a lot.
Did they view him as an underachiever? There was a part where the principal told him not to proceed with advancing to college early. At some point, the story also mentioned about him not finishing his education but if I remember correctly it didn't come from any of the elders. In fact, Mr. Seoh was still shocked that someone like him, who came from a well-known powerful family, would marry his daughter.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

lavkathleen wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 01:18
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 01:18 I would say that society has a lot of effect in this book. Embon's elders viewed him as a failure, an underachiever which in turn influenced other members of the society to see him the same way as someone with little value. I would say society comes into play quite a lot.
Did they view him as an underachiever? There was a part where the principal told him not to proceed with advancing to college early. At some point, the story also mentioned about him not finishing his education but if I remember correctly it didn't come from any of the elders. In fact, Mr. Seoh was still shocked that someone like him, who came from a well-known powerful family, would marry his daughter.
While Embon did come from a well-known powerful family, his family was only well known as a result of his father's success. He himself had no personal achievements to speak of that brought prestige to his family. Mr. Seoh's shock had nothing to do with Embon as a person but as a result of his family name.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Society played a huge role in this story. Embon himself would not have had so many opportunities available to him if he had not been born into such a high-ranking family.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Society plays a large part in this book and Embron's life as well. From the ominous signs of his birth dictating how he was treated and viewed to the elders' absolute authority in all things, the influence of societal norms is evident. The importance of the honor of the family is paramount, and arranged marriages are the norm. The trappings and expectations of society are present throughout Embron's story.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I learned about the gentleman culture in Korea, and the importance of respect within the family (especially towards one's in-laws). It was both fascinating and disheartening to learn about the yangban way of life. You either got a government job or you were poor, taking pride in either position of finance.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I would say that society has a very large effect on the book. Korean society affected every aspect of the character's lives especially Embon as the omen's over his life had a large effect on his success as dictated by society. Society dictated that women are not allowed to do certain things and behave certain ways as portrayed in Lady Sougyon's life.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Swirliegirlie wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 21:27 Society played a major factor in this novel and made it very interesting to read. The social norms of Korea at the time is so different than the way we live life in America now. It was nice to have a detailed explanation of the narrators thought process throughout the story. It gave me so much insight into the culture at the time.
Korean culture is so different and fascinating to me. I had never heard of any of the traditions practiced in Korean society so it was quite the curiosity to see how much weight the opinion of their society carried.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 13:37 Nursemaids, palaces, courtyards, influential friends, and jeweled tiaras adorned those with access to gilded cushions and prestigious schools, but even wealth and class couldn’t prevent loveless marriages or estranged husbands. Arranged unions were fully expected for certain social classes, and that expectation was the social norm in every way.
Arranged marriages have always been somewhat of an oddity to me so it was interesting to see how everything was dictated in Korean society. There were certain levels of people that could be married, there were certain freedoms only available to certain people. Society was very much in play all through the book.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The Korean society is the main play ground of this story. The older ones try to keep it as it is while the young ines try to change it to a more productive way. Our main character, his mother and father, and the rest of the characters did various things to either be accepted by the society or to change and improve it
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Swirliegirlie wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 21:27 Society played a major factor in this novel and made it very interesting to read. The social norms of Korea at the time is so different than the way we live life in America now. It was nice to have a detailed explanation of the narrators thought process throughout the story. It gave me so much insight into the culture at the time.
I agree. Different societies have different cultures and the same society had had differences according to the time frame. This story gives a good insight about an ancient era of Korean society, which have evolved to what we see today. So, yes, the story is mainly about society and it is heavily involved in the plot too
Sushan Ekanayake

nikkiloveskiwi wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 23:48 The society's standards during that time really played a huge with the characters' actions. I remember Lady Sougyon wanting to get divorce to her husband, but her brother strongly forbid her to do so because it would bring shame to their family's name and the future generation.
That is true. Those days women had a very low position in the society. And not like today, the societal status and norms were highly valued those days. It is clearly visible when the characters of this story make different decisions not only depending on what they actually want to do, but what the society expects from them and what the society will actually accept
Owen John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owen-john.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Owen John »

It is said when you're in Rome behave like the Romans. Therefore, the society in the narration had an impact on the characters. It had an impact on the narration as a whole.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

Everything is society-driven in this book. Like arranged marriages for instance. Young people face stern disapproval that could go as far as being shunned by family for daring to 'fall in love' and choosing their own partners. The elders expect/demand obedience. They are in charge and control/dictate society's mores in this era.
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

Society and social norms are very important in this book. Breaking with social norms is almost breaking with Korean government. I think that is part of the conflict. Break with Korean norms which are more passive or accept Japanese control which is really remaining passive. A catch-22. The norms for both societies are centuries old and steeped in customs that are hard to change in just a few years. Both countries were fighting centuries of society against trying to modernize. The book really is almost a revolution for or against cultural and society change.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”