Mr. Seoh.

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Mr. Seoh.

Post by lavkathleen »

Do you think he ever found out about his son-in-law joining the Korean Independence Movement? Do you think Mr. Koo would tell him? What do you think would happen?

(Personally, I think it's funny that he didn't want to be affiliated with the movement AND THEN his daughter ended up marrying someone who eventually joins them. :lol: )
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

I think he would eventually get to know.
He may not like Embon's decision but he can't do much about it either.
I thinks its ironic that he suggests to Embon not to go away so quickly after he had just gotten married.
So it's in a way foreshadowing
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I think he would know eventually, but it's hard to know exactly when. Back then that was not something you would talk about over a telephone and you certainly would not write it in a letter or telegram. He would have to hear it from word of mouth.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Maybe. But wars, even if they're guerilla-type resistance movements, make for unpredictability. Maybe that's why the author left the ending open. We don't know if, when knowing his association with the independence movement, he was captured by the Japanese, for example.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I think he would know. There wasn't exactly a standard means of communication back then but I think perhaps through word of mouth he would hear about it.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I don't think he found out but I believe he would have eventually. Either from his daughter or his friend.
I also don't think that he did not want anything to do with the war, I think he was just playing it safe as he was the firstborn with a large family.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Well, to begin with, Mr. Seoh is not opposing the Koreans' revolutions. He simply didn't want to be involved in it, as he has a different mindset and foresight from the others. However, he still had his pride as a Korean. This was proved by the fact that Mr. Seoh didn't report Mr. Koo to the Japanese, and he even supported Mr. Koo on his run. Therefore, I don't think Mr. Seoh will dislike Embon for joining the Korean Independence Movement. And I guess the cat will be out of the bag sooner or later. When the time comes, it's most likely that Mr. Seoh will treat Embon like Mr. Koo and provide him assistance if needed.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It will be interesting if Mr. Seoh finds out about his son-in-law’s involvement with the revolution. But I prefer if he learns it from Embon and not from Mr. Koo. It will make Embon look bolder and braver. At the same time, it will be consistent with Mr. Koo’s character. His loyalty for the cause is above his family and his friendship with Mr. Seoh. The revelation might also spark something between Insoon and Embon, considering Insoon is a progressive thinker. She can channel her rebellious spirit to support her husband.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

Hmmmm I think eventually Mr. Seoh would have found out. It seemed like the characters in the story loved a juicy gossip. I hope that in his heart Mr. Seoh would of been proud of his son-in-law. Even though he doesn't fight himself, which I think is due to his family depending on his income to survive, nobody wants to see their culture extinct.
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I think he would know about Embon's involvement. He is the father-in-law after all. I think he is a good man who was just playing safe so he does not want to get involved with anything that' harm him or his family.
Annette M
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Annette M »

I guess Mr.Koo told him. Mr.Koo told him about everything,plus he was always given some food and some money when he visited.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think when Mr Koo goes back to see him he would tell him. I also think that it's more likely that he would find out from Mr Koo rather than Embon himself. Also, I don't think he would be able to stop Embom, but I doubt he would be happy about it at all
enna_idEsrun
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enna-idesrun.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by enna_idEsrun »

I suspect that Mr Seoh eventually finds out that his son-in-law has joined the revolution movement. As soon as he notices Embon's reaction to him mentioning that his contemporaries were working for the Korean independent government in Shanghai he realizes that he made a huge "blunder". I imagine that when Mr Seoh receives confirmation about Embon's whereabouts he will feel a due sense of responsibility and guilt for his role in Embon's decision to abandon his wife for his country.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

I think he will eventually find the about his son-in-law joining the Korean Independence Movement, may be through mr. Koo or through his son-in-law
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Mr. Seoh is a true representative of the middle class of today. They ignore the real and burning issues simply because they are doing 'okay' financially. All they really care about is the welfare of family and friends. He gave Mr. Koo cash because this is 'all he could do' for a more intelligent friend doing more - in a foreign land! He married her daughter off just so she could climb the ladder. Again, it's all about financial freedom.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”