The Meaning of the Title

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Re: The Meaning of the Title

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

The three listed options could be true but I agree more with the first two. I perceive the author wanted to bring to remembrance the Korean culture knowing that it's been long forgotten in a foreign land, and the fact that voice could be given to the voiceless, especially the women, just so they can be heard.
I would also like to think that the title could also refer to the people whose lives turned out unexpectedly, Embon for example.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

The title could be interpreted in many ways but to me it describes the diminishing Korean culture and heritage due to Japanese rule, and also the loss of many Korean revolutionaries life’s, whilst trying to fight for Korea to be its own proud nation.
Carina Jordaan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carina-jordaan.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Carina Jordaan »

I think it is mostly the first as the main theme of the book, but the second option is also a possible reason.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I think all of these fit the content of the book. To me, the one that stands out the most is the third premise that the vanished are meant to represent the resistance heroes who died for their country while overseas. Since Embon is the protagonist of the story, I feel like the title most likely reflects his impact in the story, or, more specifically, the role he and his college friends played towards the end of the novel. Very thought-provoking post!
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I was asking about the book title significance when I started reading this book. And I totally understand how you come up with these 3 theories. But I think the best for me is number one. I felt the struggle the characters had in trying to maintain the legacy, values, and culture that they know of. But numerous times they see it slipped between their fingers. I am not very familiar with the Korean culture but I do hope they were able to retain it or even some of it.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

cristinaro wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 05:40 Pejay Bradley's novel has a beautiful metaphorical title. For me, "The Vanished" might refer to the following:
1) the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance;
2) the marginalized (servants, women) whose voices cannot be heard in a society where aristocracy and men have all the influence;
3) resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives and never gave up their fight for independence.
Which of these three best works to explain the title? Do you have any other ideas?
I think all three of these readings are viable and I especially agree with 1) as I feel the disappearance of Korean tradition under occupation plays a big role in the book.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

cristinaro wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 05:40 Pejay Bradley's novel has a beautiful metaphorical title. For me, "The Vanished" might refer to the following:
1) the gradual disappearance of the traditional Korean way of life under Japanese occupation and dominance;
2) the marginalized (servants, women) whose voices cannot be heard in a society where aristocracy and men have all the influence;
3) resistance heroes who sacrificed their lives and never gave up their fight for independence.
Which of these three best works to explain the title? Do you have any other ideas?
I think all of these things were important for the storyline of the book and therefore think they combine to make the title accurate. I think the most accurate of these is number one, because the story is very focused on the resistance and the effects on Korean culture as a result of Japanese occupation.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

A good topic..
To me, all three points explains the title of the book clearly, because the plot of the book touches those as its themes.
Lalit_kendre14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalit-kendre14.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Lalit_kendre14 »

It was in the portrayal and it befuddled me. You're most likely right pretty much every one of those things in the rundown, and I simply didn't have a clue how to deal with the way that their story closes there on the grounds that there's nothing else to be passed down other than this. It's simply beginning to soak in at this point... what's more, it's driving me crazy.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I agree to all the 3 point listed above. At a point while reading I kept wondering why the book was titles "The Vanished" and I got to realise it was mostly because it was the gradual vanishing of Korean traditions and culture
Nitika Sood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-HDFC-Head-Girl.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nitika Sood »

I think it is really all three of these. The one that I think is most appropriate is the first one though because culture and traditions are very important to all the people of a nation. Aside from being embarrassed at being annexed by another nation, having to give up sacred values and customs just to conform to the Japanese rule must've hit home hard.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

To me, “the vanished” are traditional Korean lifestyle and culture. Perhaps it is also the old aristocracy who were sort of the guardians of this culture.
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by natasha juhl »

To view the title with meaning in all three things you mentioned is a very good examination of the title. A title usually does not just have one meaning and especially with regards to this book, seeing the cultural relevance to Korea and their dignity is also an important theme.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
cjl1995
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjl1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by cjl1995 »

I honestly agree with all three explanations of the meaning of the title. If I had to pick one though I would go with the disappearance of traditional Korean culture due to Japanese occupation. Although, I think it was not just the Japanese occupation that made the traditional culture disappear. It was a big part of it but I also think the westernization and modernization of that part of the world also pushed those types of cultures out. It was interesting to read the different perspectives across the generations in the book and see the changing of beliefs.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

I believe that since the book is mostly centered on Korea gaining it's independence from Japan, the first explanation works best to explain the title.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”