Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Re: Fight for independence or remain loyal to Japanese employer?

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

In my opinion, Mr. Seoh did the best that he could do to ensure that his family’s needs are satisfied and at the same time take part, even in the smallest way such as giving financial assistance, to the cause. Being a Korean, there is no question that he wanted independence but thinking about actions in the long-term, he did what he has to do for the responsibilities as a husband and a father.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I certainly understand his choice and decisions. He simply wanted to join the movement, but cannot afford risking his family and job. It's not one I would have made, nonetheless. I prefer a sure footed stand. You're either for or against.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I think the resistance was a double edged sword for Mr. Seoh . On one hand he had to consider his growing family with a new baby on the way. If he had joined the resistance openly his family would have been lost without his support. On the other hand he also had to consider his new position in the bank. Joining the resistance for sure would cost him all he has worked hard for. Hence making the tough decision he managed to still contribute albeit in small and discreet way.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I believe in his heart, Mr. Seoh wanted to actively fight for the independence of Korea, but he had a young family and they were depending on him to provide for them. His first responsibility was for his family. It would not have been fair to them for Mr. Seoh to risk his life or his occupation to stand up and declare himself a freedom fighter. Life is very complicated but family is always first.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

I think Mr Seoh did his best under the circumstances. Openly fighting against the Japanese would have jeopardized his family. It's not something someone can judge unless they are in those shoes.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

I do think Mr. Seoh made the right decision for his particular situation. He had so much riding on his shoulders and income, like providing food for his family. I know for me personally it would be hard to see my family suffer because of my choices. I think he did well by sucking up his pride and keeping his employment at the Japanese bank.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:28 I think there are many layers to this question. As many said, Mr.seoh was engulfed by guilt. And that's why he did help them financially but within his comfort zone, without risking his job. At the same time, in the long run, dedicated professionals like him are essential for the country once they are independent.
Yes, he was torn in two directions. He believed in the cause, but he also wanted to protect his family and keep his job. So, I agree it was probably at least a little bit of guilt that inspired him to help financially. However, I believe if he had not had the added responsibility of his wife expecting another child he would have fought with his countrymen!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Pearl Hijabi wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 03:07 I think the resistance was a double edged sword for Mr. Seoh . On one hand he had to consider his growing family with a new baby on the way. If he had joined the resistance openly his family would have been lost without his support. On the other hand he also had to consider his new position in the bank. Joining the resistance for sure would cost him all he has worked hard for. Hence making the tough decision he managed to still contribute albeit in small and discreet way.
Exactly! I guess you could say in essence he made it work both ways, with contributions to the cause of the resistance while being available to his family, and also keeping his job!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Twylla wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 13:42 I believe in his heart, Mr. Seoh wanted to actively fight for the independence of Korea, but he had a young family and they were depending on him to provide for them. His first responsibility was for his family. It would not have been fair to them for Mr. Seoh to risk his life or his occupation to stand up and declare himself a freedom fighter. Life is very complicated but family is always first.
Yes, I agree family is first. I think he did the only thing a caring husband and father would have done, and that is to make sure his family remained safe and well taken care of. He contributed in his own way for the best to both sides— family and the resistance.
B. Creech
theprakriti
Currently Reading: The Glass Hotel
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprakriti.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by theprakriti »

This is a very good question to dwell upon. If seeing from Mr. Seoh's side, being loyal to Japanese employer provided it keeps the family from poverty and hunger is not a bad choice. People have to think about their families too. Its not bad to demand a comfortable life. But some deed done by the Japanese like killing Korean rulers and trying to remove their culture and heritage was not good at all. All of this demands in itself a revolt which cannot be prevented. The fight for independence is in much need at this point of time.
Speaking of myself, I would fight for the independence of the country but at the same time would assemble resources to feed my family and not neglecting them completely.
Dabrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabrielle.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dabrielle »

Honestly, Mr. Seoh's position was very tenuous. How to choose between country and family! Although it is easy to say that he should have joined his friend in the fight against the Japanese occupation, the reality is the fight needed funding and persons who worked for the Japanese who could provide insider information. Mr. Seoh supplied whatever finance and support he could. He chose to act behind the scenes, rather than be at the forefront of the fight. It is my view that his decision cannot be easily judged by one on the outside looking in. Those in the midst of the struggle had to be led by their conscience.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think it's difficult to choose resistance over employment especially when livelihood is at stake. I think that it's important to consider that a lot of Koreans did weigh their options and realised that the risk was not worth the reward.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

I found Mr. Seoh weak, but if I think about this deeply. Not everybody is able to fight or give up their comfort, I think some people are just meant to be support crew. At least Mr. seoh always fed and gave Mr. Koo some money each time he passed by.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

He could have joined Mr. Koo, but he gives priority for his family and job.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I think it's a win-win situation. He needs his job and his privilege to keep his family safe. The resistance also profits from his choice by receiving the money he earns from the Japanese employer. There are different ways to fight, and one doesn't need to risk his life for his actions to count.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”