Master-Servant Relationship

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Master-Servant Relationship

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The depiction of the master-servant relationship is one of the best aspects of the novel. For example, Lady Sougyon talks to her maid even if she realizes that she will get no answer because the maid is afraid "of making the wrong reply." (loc.28) Embon, Lady Sougyon's son, throws a tantrum and kicks an old palanquin carrier without the latter reacting in any way. Can you think of other examples? Do you consider the author did a great job of portraying the master-servant relationship? Would the description have been more impactful if the writer had included the servants' perspective too?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

It would definitely be more relatable with certain audiences. Just adding that perspective alone would open a whole new audience to the book and general message in the book. He portrayed the domineering and sometimes relatively understanding nature of the master in this kind of relationship. Maybe the author would have done a better job for the servant though,. but overall the author did a great job.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 05:22 It would definitely be more relatable with certain audiences. Just adding that perspective alone would open a whole new audience to the book and general message in the book. He portrayed the domineering and sometimes relatively understanding nature of the master in this kind of relationship. Maybe the author would have done a better job for the servant though,. but overall the author did a great job.
I agree with you here. The servants' perspective might have broadened the overall perspective on the master-servant relationship. However, random narratorial observations and the masters' behavior are relevant enough to make us aware of social inequality.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think having the servants thoughts and opinions would have definitely enhanced the story. It would have added more dimensions and possibly some humor, especially in the case with Embon kicking the servant! Although, seeing Embon's perspective in this case too, instead of Mr. Seoh's would have been enlightening too.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

The author did a good job of showing social injustice between slaves and their owners. The royal family treated their slaves with respect and paid them a wage. Embon's bad behavior was explained by the lack of discipline he received as a child.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I like the idea of hearing the servant's perspective! I think it would have added so much to the story! That would be an unusual twist, in my opinion. I don't know that I have read many books that give the servant's point of view. A fascinating concept! Also, servants are portrayed as meek and humble most of the time, even when they are treated abusively.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Book Lover Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-jack.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Book Lover Jack »

I believe there were different dynamics depending on the kind of master-servant relationship depicted in the book. Several times, the servants do not only reply to their masters but they also initiate conversation. However, I think literary wise, it was elegant to leave the servant's perspective open to the readers interpretation. I think that is what the author was aiming for
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The master-servant relationship portrayed here is sort of one-sided, that's from the masters perspective. I feel the author didn't introduce the servants perspective because, on default, everyone would expect the servant to be meek and receptive to abuses from the master no matter how severe it is.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Book Lover Jack wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 05:08 I believe there were different dynamics depending on the kind of master-servant relationship depicted in the book. Several times, the servants do not only reply to their masters but they also initiate conversation. However, I think literary wise, it was elegant to leave the servant's perspective open to the readers interpretation. I think that is what the author was aiming for
Don't you think there's more harm caused by leaving the reader to fill up the servant's perspective? It could yield a whole lot of contrasting opinions and interpretations from the readers.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I think she did a good job with it, and also showed that Embon's family had a different relationship with their servants. He was shocked that some people treat them more harshly than what he's used to. Their perspective would've be a good addition to the story, but I think their presence, appearances and overall message of the book is enough. No one should have to beg for sustenance and be slaves to the upper class.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 06:08 The depiction of the master-servant relationship is one of the best aspects of the novel. For example, Lady Sougyon talks to her maid even if she realizes that she will get no answer because the maid is afraid "of making the wrong reply." (loc.28) Embon, Lady Sougyon's son, throws a tantrum and kicks an old palanquin carrier without the latter reacting in any way. Can you think of other examples? Do you consider the author did a great job of portraying the master-servant relationship? Would the description have been more impactful if the writer had included the servants' perspective too?
God, I got so angry when Embon kicked the elderly servant! But it's not my culture, and I probably don't understand fully how these relationships used to work. Is it a form of slavery? Honestly, I don't know. I liked that Lady Sougyon decided to take care of April's daughter. But it will be, as you say, incredibly interesting to get the perspective of the less privileged ones.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Book Lover Jack wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 05:08 However, I think literary wise, it was elegant to leave the servant's perspective open to the readers interpretation. I think that is what the author was aiming for
I agree. Also, the author did a good job at showing the servants' relationship with their masters.

But showing their perspective in the story wouldn't hurt.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Eutoc wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 19:38 The master-servant relationship portrayed here is sort of one-sided, that's from the masters perspective. I feel the author didn't introduce the servants perspective because, on default, everyone would expect the servant to be meek and receptive to abuses from the master no matter how severe it is.
I'm not certain people think of servants like that by default. Servants exists even today, and they're just like everyone else: they're multidimensional and have depth. They have to have their own views, beliefs, and thoughts in this story.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Eutoc wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 19:40 Don't you think there's more harm caused by leaving the reader to fill up the servant's perspective? It could yield a whole lot of contrasting opinions and interpretations from the readers.
Definitely. But that's partly why we discuss books like this. Also, even if the perspective of servants are shown, there are readers out there who wouldn't care about it. They would still interpret and judge them the way they want to, especially since they're considered a minority.
Kathleen Lavador

Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

So far, the most detailed interactions are of Lady Sougyon and Embon. For someone of royal blood, I think the Lady treats her attendants quite politely. Meanwhile, her son is a brat when he was young, and he still thinks highly of himself upon growing up. In a way, Embon represents the typical noble who regards servants as someone to order around. Lady Sougyon represents the open-minded owners who see the peasant class as humans. She even gives April and May names, as girls back then will be known as "the girl" for all their lives. Not to mention, she forgives April's man after he commits a crime, while people think that man should be punished. Including the servants' perspectives may be more impactful, but through their attitude towards Lady Sougyon, I can see that they are quite content with their employer.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”