This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: This book lacks strong women as important characters?

Post by Upeksha »

Totally agree with the topic. There are no strong female characters in this book because in the past women were crushed by male dominated society and they were considered unimportant. So I think the author has portrayed the real situation at the time.
Lalit_kendre14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lalit-kendre14.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Lalit_kendre14 »

I can think about a couple of tough ladies in the novel. For instance, Lady Sougyon, little girl of Prince Aansoon, brings up her child without anyone else, has broadened information in different spaces, takes part in a discussion with the ruler on various subjects, saves her child's life when he falls debilitated with tuberculosis, and gets back home more dead than alive, and so on Albeit just momentarily referenced, Queen Min has a solid character and turns out to be completely occupied with legislative issues. Mrs. Seoh is another fascinating female character as she has large aspirations for her girls. There are different clues at the unrecognized ladies who followed their accomplices to another land and upheld their autonomy battle.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I agree that by sticking true to the historical landscape of the time, there weren't many visibly strong and outspoken women because of cultural reasons, however the world is our oyster when it comes to books, and I don't think it would have been too far a leap to add in these characters, especially as a statement against the lack of strong women allowed in that society.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
cjl1995
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjl1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by cjl1995 »

I agree that there could be more input from women. But I also think it was done for historical accuracy. Since women were not really allowed a voice, especially in the lower classes, only the voice of a high-status woman was shown. I think that the voice of Lady S was used because she didn't seem as held back by a husband because he wasn't there. Her father also seemed more progressive in certain aspects so she may have had more of a role than most women from her time.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Considering the setting and time of the book, the lack of strong and striking female characters seems appropriate. I wouldn't expect a book written to portray life in the early '90s to have as many independent women characters as a book written fifteen years ago.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Personally, I think they showed signs of being strong in subtler ways. I understand that the society in Asia back then didn't allow women to have much active roles so I think that's how the author intended to write them. However, he did show that they also had their own strength and brilliance despite their circumstances.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

When one is telling about the history of a people, one ought to tell the facts as they appear. This helps to portray the existential realities at the time under review. Women in Asia didn't occupy important positions as at the time of writing the story, and those facts needed to be stated the way they are. This will encourage the society in question to do more as regards supporting women, and also to encourage women to ask for more. I think that's better than basking in the falsehood that women occupied a lot of important positions at the time.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

cristinaro wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 07:57 I can think of a few strong women in the novel. For example, Lady Sougyon, daughter of Prince Aansoon, raises her son all by herself, has extended knowledge in various domains, engages in a conversation with the king on different topics, saves her son's life when he falls sick with tuberculosis and comes home more dead than alive, etc. Although only briefly mentioned, Queen Min has a strong personality and becomes fully engaged in politics. Mrs. Seoh is another interesting female character as she has big ambitions for her daughters. There are other hints at the unsung women who followed their partners to another land and supported their independence fight.
I agree with you. The author mentioned strong female characters and I believe because of the nature of the story, the author couldn't have added more characters as it would have destroyed the theme of the story. I believe there is a second installment and more strong female characters will emerge. I loved the book so much.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

A book's plot set in time certainly plays a key role in the role assigned to characters.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 05:30 In my opinion, this book could represent more women in important roles. However, I also think about the fact that this is a historical fiction novel. Therefore, the author might also be accurately portraying the lack of women in important roles in Asia by the time of the narrative. What do you think about that?

Yes. I, too, believe that the book could have benefited from the portrayal of more female characters. However, I think the author was trying to stick as much as possible to history and as much as it pains me to say it, history has never been good to the women of society.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Megamind136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megamind136.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Megamind136 »

The book is nothing but the truth about the Asians. Are women giving important role in Asia? No. Only a few get the opportunity.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I don't understand this need for strong women in all historical fiction books. The world has changed a lot in the last century and you can't erase what happened before.
Chiagbanwe Almond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiagbanwe-almond.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Chiagbanwe Almond »

The author was writing the book in retrospective. So, back then, women were not considered so relevant in making important decisions. If the author was really trying to portray this backward state, then he did a goo job.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think this book would benefit a strong female character, regardless of historical context. Books should be written for the audience and shaped according to their taste.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I think the lack of strong female roles stems back to the culture in which the book is set. In that time period, women were seen as less capable than men in activities outside of the household. Women were expected to raise the children and care for the home, not speak their minds and advocate for important change.

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”