Has the author portrayed the history accurately?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2021 Book of the month, "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Has the author portrayed the history accurately?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The story is woven in the time period of when Korea was under the rule of Japan. Has the author portrayed the historical events and settings accurately? How close are they to the actual picture as per your knowledge?
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

I think the author did a decent job. The general historical facts readily available for public knowledge was followed through. There may have been little drifts in the specifics but nothing to alter the authenticity of the book. Are there particular general and specific deviations you noticed?
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 00:51 The story is woven in the time period of when Korea was under the rule of Japan. Has the author portrayed the historical events and settings accurately? How close are they to the actual picture as per your knowledge?
Based on the dates and general information I researched, the author is within the timeframe and general information of the time of Japan's rule over Korea. I haven't researched it heavily, but the basics are there for sure.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

From what I already knew and from the things I have researched about King Gojong and Queen Min, I think the author closely followed the line of the historical information available about the time period. I'm not so sure about the details concerning the resistance movement. My guess is the author supplemented the missing pieces of historical evidence with abundant imagination.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

As this is a fiction piece, the author did not have to closely follow historical details, but seems to. Since we were not there, it is hard to know exactly what is truth and what she has embellished. With her treatment of women she kept to the time period, and with having been born in Korea herself, I imagine she knows quite a bit about that time period, probably having grown up with relatives that lived during that time.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Dee_Robert wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 05:17 I think the author did a decent job. The general historical facts readily available for public knowledge was followed through. There may have been little drifts in the specifics but nothing to alter the authenticity of the book. Are there particular general and specific deviations you noticed?
No. Generally the historical details were well and correctly portrayed. Anyway, I don't think that the author can go beyond the details that are known to general public unless he time travels
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

The author did a decent job as the history was not far from the real history of the Korea. Have researched more about the Korea and it's a bit similar with what the author wrote.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
bardhaselmani
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardhaselmani.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by bardhaselmani »

Considering this is a work of Historical fiction, it is only understandable that historical events should be followed accurately, which I think the author did do well. However, if it was entirely like it happened in reality this book should have been placed under the nonfiction genre. that is why I believe that the shifts she made are "allowable' in fiction.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Accurate is not a word to be used about history. Every country has an entirely different record for the same event. It is based on the subjective description of the people who wrote history, and they tend to present the facts in some direction or other. However, the book follows the main direction as presented in most history books.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

This is my first book about historical Korean fiction so I cannot say for sure that the author portrayed it accurately. However to my own uneducated eyes, I would say he did a decent job of reenacting it for us. I was thrilled by the imagery of the book as it gave me a never before seen insight into Korean culture.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I googled a bit about the Korean/Japan oppression and the timelines were more or less the same so I think she portrayed the events and settings accurately. I got the impression that she did her research.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Nqobile771 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 03:29 I googled a bit about the Korean/Japan oppression and the timelines were more or less the same so I think she portrayed the events and settings accurately. I got the impression that she did her research.
I did the same thing. And as far as I know, the book is historically accurate. Of course, it would be very enriching if an OBC member from Korea could give us his or her opinion because sometimes things are very different from the inside.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Following what I have read previously about Korea's history, I think the author did exceptionally well to portray the historical events and settings.
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I think the beauty of such a genre is that it requires, in-depth research and the author has done a pretty good job in this area. But again, history is something passed down from one to another, adding something or ignoring some other. It is different from different perspectives.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

This is not recent history. So all of us can see only the facts that are stated somew. It is same for the author as well. So, I think she has portrayed it correctly as per the sources that she could refer. Someone who has different references may have a different opinion

Return to “Discuss "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley”