Jesus was selfish?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Jesus was selfish?

Post by natasha juhl »

Jesus was 100% man and 100% God meaning that he was able to relate enough to us to become the mediator between man and God. However this does not mean that Jesus was just as sinful and fallen as we all are as humans. In order to become this perfect mediator, he was the epitome of all man, without selfishness or wrath. To say that Jesus was selfish is completely wrong and even though he was fully man, he was still fully God and was here to save us from our sins in a way that we cannot do on our own.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

No human would do what Jesus did simply by being smart because a large part of what he did resulted from the manifestation of God's spirit in him as the Son. Also if he was selfish and therefore sinful he would be inadequate as propitiation for the sins of the world.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

A lot of contradictory beliefs are contained in the book. If the author is of the view that Jesus is selfish, and selfishness is a sin, then it's contradictory to also believe he died to salvage man from sin. How does a sinner save a sinner?

Again, there must be a supernatural side to Jesus to be able to perform all the miracles he performed. You don't raise the dead by merely reading books.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I personally believe that Jesus died for a purpose, the purpose being to save us and our sinful ways. I do not agree with the point that the author is trying to make.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

I don't agree with the author at all because if Jesus was selfish he would not have agreed to die on the cross to save the sins of the world. He could have chosen to live a good life with no sacrifices but no he chose to die for the world. This to me is not selfish but instead selflessness.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I will be completely honest on what I think. While the author's claims in the book can still be subjected to doubts, his arguments do raise a question. It is important that we should question the things we were taught to believe, even if it is about Jesus' genealogy and the claim that he was selfless. However, that still doesn't mean I will blindly believe the author's claims.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I absolutely do NOT think that Jesus was selfish. I found the author's premise for a selfish person fallacious.

Also, I do not think that Jesus was simply a man who as well versed in Scripture. Extensive study on these topics has led me to deduce that Jesus was both literally and figuratively "the Son of God". Also, he didn't just die for our sins, he still lives for them. That is my opinion though.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

IMPOSSIBLE! If that is so, Christianity would have perished decades back. He did it to attain redemption. The author's views are from a different perspective. The Bible says different. We shouldn't put man's perspective in front of God's words!
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

cd20 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 14:51 I think this book was a book of contradictions. I felt that Hunt went on a rant about the Catholic church and this is what came of that. The Catholic Church is not the same as other churches, their belief system is different, so Hunt is inferring what he wants to about Jesus, without any real research to back up his claims. We have to be careful of people spouting truth, without any real evidence.
I so much agree with you.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

Dr. Hunt is a medical doctor who seems to have been hurt by overzealous practitioners of religion and has since, in his cynicism, developed his own ideas and opinions about who God is. I think he does believe in a god but he has taken his beliefs from fragments of things that others believe to be true and what he wants to be true; he has created his own god.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”