As per the author, regarding family planning, morality takes a back-seat to money, power and control. Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Re: As per the author, regarding family planning, morality takes a back-seat to money, power and control. Do you agree?

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Well, in my opinion, morality has it's place. In the same vein, you can't undermine the place of family planning in the face of the prevailing economic situations. Most families can't feed properly. I think it's evil to bring a child to the world if you don't have the capacity to take responsibility for that child. I am for both morality and family planning. Interestingly, many religious folks are beginning to see the reality and they're taking birth control measures.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I think morality always takes a back seat to money and power. People disregard morals when it comes to money-making and power.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

There is a lot of truth in the author's statement. Morality has taken the back seat so that money, love for power and control can be in charge. People free data are rather interested in getting what their heart desires irrespective of the tenets of religion that could be attached to it.
Ranting about birth control would make people assume he wants to enforce it into their lives and them they would feel their rights are being infringed on. I wouldn't blame them if they left the church or stopped financing it because, I would do the same. So, yes it is bet true that one can do such thing and more if the topic of the use of birth control becomes the trending discussion in churches.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

Permit my opinion as I opine that morality, power, and money are equally important. The concept of treating them disjunctively is not idea. However, the point I intend to create in our minds is that morality should form the basis of our attitude towards money, power and other values.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

This might be a bit controversial, but who is to say what morality really is? I know that one of the church's arguments against birth control is that you are sort of "canceling" a life. But, is it okay to be obligated to bring an unwanted life into this world? Even more so, to suffer. I'm from Latin America, and I've seen many children suffer a terrible life, and that kind of makes me pro-birth control.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Money answers everything in this world. Humanity is faced with that difficult decision depending on where one is standing. When money is juxtaposed to morality the question becomes what can I do without for now. This is the reason why morality is placed last. Other forces must come into play for one to uphold morality over financial prowess.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

tafta wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 10:35 Money answers everything in this world. Humanity is faced with that difficult decision depending on where one is standing. When money is juxtaposed to morality the question becomes what can I do without for now. This is the reason why morality is placed last. Other forces must come into play for one to uphold morality over financial prowess.
Well said. The author has precisely highlighted this point in his book as well. Morality is always neglected bofore money and power. It's very difficult to find a person nowadays who considers humanity as very important, in the presence of them.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 14:16 This might be a bit controversial, but who is to say what morality really is? I know that one of the church's arguments against birth control is that you are sort of "canceling" a life. But, is it okay to be obligated to bring an unwanted life into this world? Even more so, to suffer. I'm from Latin America, and I've seen many children suffer a terrible life, and that kind of makes me pro-birth control.
I absolutely agree with you. I think there are many cases where using birth control is actually a "moral" option. I also think it's completely understandable that people would stop donating to the church for pushing this antiquated opinion, and I see this concept as an example of members being able to use their money and influence to show a powerful church what we really think of their values and what really matters to us.
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by natasha juhl »

Just like this book mentions, there is a debate about birth control over many different people with different opinions. However morality has no relation with this matter for those who are not reckless with how they use birth control, it should not be an issue of money. Power should not be defined by wealth.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I'm sure there are people out there who want to be members of the church. There are people who are already members. There are bound to be some who have used, are using, or would plan to use at some point in their lives. I suppose instead of bashing these people, the church may choose not to broadcast it as an issue. It may not be about money, but perhaps they simply want to retain those that are loyal in every other way. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill, I suppose? :eusa-think:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

I believe that morality should not take a back seat to money, control and power in any aspect of life. My morals may not be the same as others and that is okay. I believe people should do what is best for them.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I think it is true to an extent that when one wields power, influence and money he mostly becomes a master unto himself and morality is not the only thing that takes the back seat, but all other things do too.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Morality in modern society has taken the back seat. Assurance of money and power eludes moral principles and standards but not in every case. There are rich and principled people who have restricted their actions because of values.
Nonetheless, there is that temptation to drop all moral believes when ones gets a taste of money and power.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I agree with the author. Morality seem to be losing against money and possession. Most people and society drive value from materialism rather than morality.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”